Depressive styles in adolescence: Assessment, relation to social functioning, and developmental trends
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Examined the relation of dependency and self-criticism to social functioning among adolescents. Subjects were 7th–11th graders from a suburban high school who completed the Depressive Experiences Questionnaire for Adolescents (DEQ-A) and the Inventory of Interpersonal Problems (IIP). The results showed that self-criticism was strongly associated with reporting a greater number of interpersonal problems, particularly in the areas of sociability and control. Dependency was only marginally related to interpersonal difficulties. The results also showed that levels of self-criticism tended to decline steadily across the high-school years, whereas levels of dependency followed a U-shaped curvilinear pattern in which it was higher in the early and late high school years relative to the middle years. Finally, the present study provides initial evidence of a reliable, shortened 20-item version of the DEQ-A.
- Albert, N., and Beck, A. T. (1975). Incidence of depression in early adolescence.J. Youth Adolesc. 4: 301–307.
- Armsden, G. C., and Greenberg, M. T. (1987). The Inventory of Parent and Peer Attachment: Individual differences and their relationship to psychological well-being in adolescence.J. Youth Adolesc. 16: 427–452.
- Blatt, S. J. (1974). Levels of object representation in anaclitic and introjective depression.Psychoanal. Study Child 24: 107–157.
- Blatt, S. J., D'Afflitti, J. P., and Quinlan, D. M. (1976). Experiences of depression in normal young adults.J. Abnorm. Psychol. 85: 383–389.
- Blatt, S. J., and Homann, E. (1992). Parent-child interaction and the etiology of dependent and self-critical depression.Clin. Psychol. Rev. 12: 47–91.
- Blatt, S. J., Quinlan, D. M., Chevron, E. S., McDonald, C., and Zuroff, D. C. (1982). Dependency and self-criticism: Psychological dimensions of depression.J. Consult. Clin. Psychol. 50: 113–124.
- Blatt, S. J., and Shichman, S. (1983). Two primary configurations of psychopathology.Psychoanal. Contemp. Thought 6: 187–254.
- Blatt, S. J., Schaffer, C. E., Bers, S. A., and Quinlan, D. M. (1992). Psychometric properties of the depressive experiences questionnaire for adolescents.J. Person. Assess. 59: 82–98.
- Blatt, S. J., and Zuroff, D. C. (1992). Interpersonal relatedness and self-definition: Two prototypes for depression.Clin. Psychol. Rev. 12: 527–562.
- Carlson, G. A., and Strober, M. (1983). Affective disorders in adolescence. In Cantwell, D. P., and Carlson, G. A. (eds.),Affective Disorders in Childhood and Adolescence: An Update. Spectrum, New York.
- Faulstich, M. E., Carey, M. P., Ruggiero, L., Enyart, P., and Gresham, F. (1986). Assessment of depression in childhood and adolescence: An evaluation of the Center for Epidemiological Studies Depression Scale for Children (CES-DC).Am. J. Psychiat. 143: 1024–1027.
- Horowitz, L. M., Rosenberg, S. E., Baer, B. A., Ureno, G., and Villasenor, V. S. (1988). The Inventory of Interpersonal Problems: Psychometric properties and clinical applications.J. Consult. Clin. Psychol. 56: 885–892.
- Koestner, R., Zuroff, D. C., and Powers, T. A. (1991). Family origins of adolescent self-criticism and its continuity into adulthood.J. Abnorm. Psychol. 100: 191–197.
- Mongrain, M., and Zuroff, D. C. (1993).Motivational correlates of dependency and self-criticism: Links to positive and negative affect. Manuscript submitted for publication. University of California at Davis.
- Nietzel, M. T., and Harris, M. J. (1990). Relationship of dependency and achievement/autonomy to depression.Clin. Psychol. Rev. 10: 279–297.
- Reis, H. T. (1990). The role of intimacy in interpersonal relations.J. Social Clin. Psychol. 9: 15–30.
- Riley, W. T., and McCranie, E. W. (1990). The Depressive Experience Questionnaire: Validity and psychological correlates in a clinical sample.J. Personal. Assess. 54: 523–533.
- Taylor, S. E., and Brown, J. D. (1988). Illusion and well-being: A social psychological perspective on mental health.Psychol. Bull. 103: 193–210.
- Weissman, M., Orvaschell, H., and Padian, N. (1980). Children's symptoms and social functioning: Self-report scales.J. Nervous and Mental Disorders, 168: 736–740.
- Zuroff, D. C. (1993).Depressive personality styles: Relations with adult attachment styles. Manuscript submitted for publication, McGill University.
- Zuroff, D. C., and de Lorimier, S. (1989). Ideal and actual romantic partners of women varying in dependency and self-criticism.J. Personal. 57: 825–846.
- Zuroff, D. C., Igreja, I., and Mongrain, M. (1989). Dysfunctional attitudes, dependency, and self-criticism as predictors of depressive mood states: A 12-month longitudinal study.Cog. Ther. Res. 14: 315–326.
- Zuroff, D. C., Koestner, R., and Powers, T. (1993). Self-criticism at age 12: A longitudinal study of adjustment.Cog. Ther. Res. in press.
- Zuroff, D. C., and Mongrain, M. (1987). Dependency and self-criticism: Vulnerability factors for depressive affective states.J. Abnorm. Psychol. 96: 14–22.
- Zuroff, D. C., Moskowitz, D. S., Wielgus, M. S., Powers, T. A., and Franko, D. L. (1983). Construct validation of the dependency and self-criticism scales of the depressive experiences questionnaire.J. Res. Personal. 17: 226–241.
- Depressive styles in adolescence: Assessment, relation to social functioning, and developmental trends
Journal of Youth and Adolescence
Volume 23, Issue 3 , pp 315-330
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links