Functional characterization of rat chemokine macrophage inflammatory protein-2
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Expression of mRNA for the C-X-C chemokine, macrophage inflammatory protein-2 (MIP-2), is induced during acute inflammation in rat models of disease. We have characterized the phlogistic potential of rat recombinant MIP-2 (rMIP-2) protein in vitro and in vivo. Recombinant MIP-2 caused marked PMN chemotaxis in vitro, with peak chemotactic activity at 10 nM. Incubation of whole blood with rMIP-2 caused a significant loss of L-selectin and a significant increase in Mac-1 expression on the PMN surface. Under similar conditions rMIP-2 also caused a modest respiratory burst in PMNs. The intratracheal instillation of 10 and 50μg of rMIP-2 caused a significant influx of PMNs into the airspace of the lungs. Rat MIP-2 is a potent neutrophil chemotactic factor capable of causing neutrophil activation and is likely to function in PMN recruitment during acute inflammation in rat disease models.
- Wolpe, S. D., B. Sherry, D. Juers, G. Davatelis, R. W. Yurt, andA. Cerami. 1989. Identification and characterization of macrophage inflammatory protein 2.Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 86:612–616.
- Tekamp-Olson, P., C. Gallegos, D. Bauer, J. McClain, B. Sherry, M. Fabre, S. van Deventer, andA. Cerami. 1990. Cloning and characterization of cDNAs for murine macrophage inflammatory protein 2 and its human homologues.J. Exp. Med. 172:911–919.
- Miller, M. D., andM. S. Krangel. 1992. Biology and biochemistry of the chemokines: A family of chemotactic and inflammatory cytokines.Crit. Rev. Immunol. 12:17–46.
- Walz, A., F. Meloni, I. Clark-Lewis, V. von Tscharner, andM. Baggiolini. 1991. [Ca++] changes and respiratory burst in human neutrophils and monocytes by NAP-1/interleukin-8, NAP-2 andgro/MGSA.J. Leukocyte Biol. 50:279–286.
- Derynck, R., E. Balentien, J. H. Han, H. G. Thomas, D. Wen, A. K. Samantha, C. O. Zachariae, P. R. Griffin, R. Brachmann, W. L. Wong, K. Matsuchima, andA. Rich-Mond. 1990. Recombinant expression, biochemical characterization, and biological activities of the human MGSA/gro protein.Biochemistry 29:10225–10233.
- Huang, S., J. D. Paulauskis, J. J. Godleski, andL. Kobzik. 1992. Expression of macrophage inflammatory protein-2 and KC mRNA in pulmonary inflammation.Am. J. Pathol. 141:981–988.
- Huang, S., A. Farone, J. D. Paulauskis, J. J. Godleski, andL. Kobzik. 1993. Expression of neutrophil chemoattratant cytokines, KC and MIP-2 in a rat model of SO2-induced bronchitis.Am. Rev. Respir. Dis. 147:A751.
- Rose, C. E., C. A. Juliano, D. E. Tracey, T. Yoshimura, andS. M. Fu. 1994. Role of interleukin-1 in endotoxin-induced lung injury in the rat.Am. J. Respir. Cell. Mol. Biol. 10:214–221.
- Sanger, F., S. Nicklen, andA. R. Coulson. 1977. DNA sequencing with chain-terminating inhibitors.Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 74:54673–54678.
- Schagger, H., andG. von Jagow. 1987. Tricine-sodium dodecyl sulfate-polyacrylamide gel electrophoresis for the separation of proteins in the range of 1 to 100 kDa.Anal. Biochem. 166:368–379.
- Salzman, G. C., J. M. Crowell, B. A. Martin, T. T. Trujillo, A. Romero, P. F. Mullaney, andP. M. Labauve. 1975. Cell classification by laser light scattering: Identification and separation of unstained leukocytes.Acta Cytol. 19:374–377.
- Freeman, G. E., C. A. Dalton, andP. M. Brooks. 1991. A Nycodenz gradient method for the purification of neutrophils from the peripheral blood of rats.J. Immunol. Methods 139:241–249.
- Bass, D. A., J. W. Parce, L. R. Dechatelet, P. Szejda, M. C. Seeds, andM. Thomas. 1983. Flow cyometric studies of oxidative product formation by neutrophils: A graded response to membrane stimulation.J. Immunol. 130:1910–1917.
- Tamatani, T., M. Kotani, andM. Miyasaka. 1991. Characterization of the rat leukocyte integrin, CD11/CD18, by the use of LFA-1 subunit-specific monoclonal antibodies.Eur. J. Immunol. 21:627–633.
- Robinson, A. P., T. M. White, andD. W. Mason. 1986. Macrophage heterogeneity in the rat as delineated by two monoclonal antibodies MRC OX-41 and MRC OX-42, the latter recognizing complement receptor type 3.Immunology 57:239–247.
- Functional characterization of rat chemokine macrophage inflammatory protein-2
Volume 19, Issue 1 , pp 133-142
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors