Moon over academe
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The authors consider critically the Annual International Conference of the Unity of the Sciences (ICUS) sponsored by S.M. Moon. Thirty eminent scientists who had endorsed ICUS responded to a personal letter. By analyzing their replies systematically, we identified their rationales in the face of anti-cult publicity. Our experiences represent a case history in the calculated misapplication of the principles of open expression, religious freedom, and the search for values.
- Edwards, C. eds. (1979) Crazy for God. Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs, N.J.
- Moon, Sun Myung,Master Speaks, January 30, 1973, as cited in “Investigation of Korean-American Relations.” Washington, D.C., Government Printing Office, 1978, p. 322.
- Cf.Science, 1976,194, p. 1254.
- Horowitz, I.L. eds. (1978) Science, Sin, and Scholarship. M.I.T. Press, Cambridge, Mass.
- Investigation of Korean-American Relations. Report of the Subcommittee on International Organizations, House of Representatives, Washington, D.C., Government Printing Office, 1978.
- We are grateful to the thirty scholars who replied to the stimulus letter. Since we disguised our research intention in order to avoid the reactive problems that may occur with standardized questionnaires, we have omitted quotations. We have written to each correspondent explaining the circumstances and reporting the outcomes of the research. We also acknowledged aur personal bias. Finally, it should be noted here that the senior author did not attend ICUS.
- What ICUS Is. International Cultural Foundation Press, New York
- Webb, E.J., Campbell, D.T., Schwartz, R.D., Sechrest, L. (1966) Unobtrusive Measures: Nonreactive Research in the Social Sciences. Rand-McNally, Chicago
- Allport, G. (1942) The Use of Personal Documents in Psychological Science. Social Science Research Council, New York
- Bromley, D.G., Shupe, A.D. (1979) “Moonies” in America. Sage, Beverly Hills, California
- Kerlinger, F.N. (1973) Foundations of Behavioral Research. Holt, Rinehart and Winston, New York
- We acknowledge and appreciate the assistance in coding of Marjorie W. Dole and Linda Dubrow Eichel.
- Bromley, , Shupe, (1979) “Moonies” in America. Sage, Beverly Hills, California
- Aronson, E., Turner, J., Carlsmith, J. (1963) Communicator Credibility and Communication Discrepancy. J Abnormal and Social Psychology 59: pp. 177-181
- Moon over academe
Journal of Religion and Health
Volume 20, Issue 1 , pp 35-40
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Division of Psychology in Education, Graduate School of Education, University of Pennsylvania, Pennsylvania, USA