Empirically derived subclassification of the autistic syndrome
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
A method is presented for empirical subclassification of autistic and autisticlike children, based on observations of current behavior. The advantage of the method is that it identifies profiles of cooccurring behaviors and accordingly assigns children to subtypes. The subtypes are more clinically homogeneous than the overall sample of autistic children. Preliminary findings are presented, including an effort to validate the subclasses by suggesting possible relationships between subtype membership and perinatal markers, developmental milestones, and independent measures of concurrent behavior.
- American Psychiatric Association. (1980).Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders (3rd ed.). Washington, D.C.: Author.
- Chess, S. (1977). Follow-up report on autism in congenital rubella.Journal of Autism and Childhood Schizophrenia, 7, 68–81.
- Ciaranello, R. D. (1982). Hyperserotonemia and early infantile autism.New England Journal of Medicine, 307, 181–183.
- Cromwell, R., Blashfield, R. K., & Strauss, J. S., (1975). Criteria for classification systems. In N. Hobbs (Ed.),Issues in the classification on children. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass.
- DeMyer, M. K., Hingten, J. N., & Jackson, R. K. (1981). Infantile autism reviewed: A decade of research.Schizophrenia Bulletin, 7, 388–451.
- Freeman, B. J., Ritvo, E. R., Schroth, P. C., Tonick, I., Guthrie, D., & Wake, L. (1981). Behavioral characteristics of high- and low-I.Q. autistic children.American Journal of Psychiatry, 138, 25–29.
- Kanner, L. (1943). Autistic disturbances of affective contact.Nervous Child, 2, 217–250.
- Kolvin, I. (1971). Studies in childhood psychoses: I. Diagnostic criteria and classification.British Journal of Psychiatry, 118, 381–384.
- Lockyer, L., & Rutter, M. (1970). A five to fifteen year followup study of infantile psychosis. IV. Patterns of cognitive ability.British Journal of Sociology and Clinical Psychology, 1970,9, 152–163.
- Ornitz, E. (1980a).Developmental inventory for children under seven years old. Questionnaire, University of California at Los Angeles.
- Ornitz, E. (1980b).Developmental inventory for children seven years and older. Questionnaire, University of California at Los Angeles.
- Prior, M. R., Boulton, D., Gajzago, C., & Perry, D. (1975). The classification of childhood psychoses by numerical taxonomy.Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry, 16, 321–330.
- Ritvo, E., & Freeman, B. J. (1978). National Society for Autistic Children definition of the syndrome of autism.Journal of Autism and Childhood Schizophrenia, 8, 162–169.
- Rutter, M. (1983). Cognitive deficits in the pathogenesis of autism.Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry, 24, 513–531.
- Spence, M. A. (1976). Genetic studies. In E. Ritvo (Ed.),Autism: Diagnosis, current research, and management (pp. 169–174). New York: Halstead/Wiley.
- Tinbergen, N., & Tinbergen, E. A. (1983).Autistic children: New hope for a cure. New York and London: Plenum Press.
- Wing, L. (1981a). Language, social, and cognitive impairments in autism and severe mental retardation.Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 11, 31–44.
- Wing, L. (1981b). Asperger's syndrome: A clinical account.Psychological Medicine, 1981,11, 115–129.
- Wolff, S., & Chick, I. (1980). Schizoid personality in childhood: A controlled follow-up study.Psychological Medicine, 1980,10, 85–100.
- Empirically derived subclassification of the autistic syndrome
Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders
Volume 16, Issue 3 , pp 275-293
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors