Is a cultural ethology possible?
- F. T. Cloak Jr.
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
The possibility, desirability, and potential outcomes of applying ethological methods to the study of culture-specific human behaviors are investigated. Ethology and culture are explored. A new term, “instruction,” and its use in cultural ethology are proposed. Genetics and survival value are related to cultural ethology. A cultural ethology is given a possible theoretical foundation, and current attempts at a cultural ethology are appraised. A research program in cultural ethology and related fields is proposed.
- Animal Behaviour (1973). Multiple reviews ofMind in Evolution, by G. Razran.Animal Behaviour 21: 387–412.
- Baerends, G. P. (1958). The contribution of ethology to the study of the causation of behavior.Acta Physiologica Pharmacologica Neerlandica 7: 466–499.
- Bajema, C. J. (1973). Differential transmission of genetic and cultural (non-genetic) information about the environment: A cybernetic view of genetic and cultural evolution in animal species. Communication to IXth International Congress of Anthropological and Ethnological Sciences, Chicago. In Cloak, F. T., Jr. (ed.),Toward Naturalistic Explanations of Cultural Adaptations, volume ofWorld Anthropology, Mouton, The Hague, in preparation.
- Bandura, A. (1965). Behavioral modifications through modeling procedures. In Krasner, L., and Ullmann, L. P. (eds.),Research in Behavioral Modification, Holt, Rinehart and Winston, New York, pp. 310–340.
- Bandura, A. (1971). Analysis of modeling processes. In Bandura, A. (ed.),Psychological Modeling: Conflicting Theories, Aldine-Atherton, Chicago, pp. 1–62.
- Bandura, A., and Walters, H. (1963).Social Learning and Personality Development, Holt, Rinehart and Winston, New York.
- Barkow, J. H. (1973). Darwinian psychological anthropology: A biosocial approach.Current Anthropology 14: 373–388.
- Beach, F. A. (1960). Experimental investigations of species-specific behavior.American Psychologist 15: 1–18.
- Birdwhistell, R. L. (1952).Introduction to Kinesics, University of Louisville, Louisville, Ky.
- Blurton Jones, N. (1972). Characteristics of ethological studies of human behaviour. In Blurton Jones, N. (ed.),Ethological Studies of Child Behaviour, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, pp. 3–33.
- Callan, H. (1970),Ethology and Society: Towards an Anthropological View, Clarendon Press, Oxford.
- Campbell, D. T. (1960). Blind variation and selective retention in creative thought as in other knowledge processes.Psychological Review 67: 380–400.
- Chapple, E. D. (1970).Culture and Biological Man: Explorations in Behavioral Anthropology, Holt, Rinehart, and Winston, New York.
- Cloak, F. T., Jr. (1966).A Natural Order of Cultural Adoption and Loss in Trinidad: Working Papers in Methodology, No. 1, Institute for Research in Social Science, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill.
- Cloak, F. T., Jr. (1973). Elementary self-replicating instructions and their works: Toward a radical reconstruction of general anthropology through a general theory of natural selection. Communication to IXth International Congress of Anthropological and Ethnological Sciences, Chicago. In Cloak, F. T., Jr. (ed.),Toward Naturalistic Explanations of Cultural Adaptations, volume ofWorld Anthropology, Mouton, The Hague, in preparation.
- Cloak, F. T., Jr. (1974). Cultural ethology experiment number one. Paper presented at 73d Annual Meeting of American Anthropological Association, Mexico City.
- Crook, J. H. (1970). Social organization and the environment: Aspects of contemporary social ethology.Animal Behaviour 18: 197–209.
- Dilger, W. C. (1962/1966). The behavior of lovebirds. In McGaugh, J. L., Weinberger, N. M., and Whalen, R. E. (eds.),Psychobiology: The Biological Bases of Behavior, Readings from Scientific American, Freeman, San Francisco, pp. 44–52.
- Eibl-Eibesfeldt, I. (1970).Ethology: The Biology of Behavior, Holt, Rinehart and Winston, New York.
- Eibl-Eibesfeldt, I., and Hass, H. (1967). Film studies in human ethology.Current Anthropology 8: 477–479.
- Fisher, A. E. (1964/1966). Chemical stimulation of the brain. In McGaugh, J. L., Weinberger, N. M., and Whalen, R. E. (eds.),Psychobiology: The Biological Bases of Behavior, Readings from Scientific American, Freeman, San Francisco, pp. 66–74.
- Goldberg, H. E. (1973). Methodological aspects of the culture-genes analogy. Communication to IXth International Congress of Anthropological and Ethnological Sciences, Chicago. In Cloak, F. T., Jr. (ed.),Toward Naturalistic Explanations of Cultural Adaptations, volume ofWorld Anthropology, Mouton, The Hague, in preparation.
- Hall, E. T. (1961).The Silent Language, Premier Books, Greenwich, Conn.
- Hall, E. T. (1963). A system for the notation of proxemic behavior.American Anthropologist 65: 1003–1026.
- Hall, E. T. (1966).The Hidden Dimension, Doubleday, New York.
- Harris, M. (1964).The Nature of Cultural Things, Random House, New York.
- Harris, M. (1968).The Rise of Anthropological Theory, Crowell, New York.
- Henry, J. (1963).Culture Against Man, Vintage, New York.
- Hinde, R. A. (1966).Animal Behaviour: A Synthesis of Ethology and Comparative Psychology, McGraw-Hill, New York.
- Kaplan, D., and Manners, R. A. (1972).Culture Theory, Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs, N.J.
- Klopfer, P. H., and Hailman, J. P. (1967).An Introduction to Animal Behavior, Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs, N.J.
- Konner, M. J. (1972). Aspects of the developmental ethology of a foraging people. In Blurton Jones, N. (ed.),Ethological Studies of Child Behaviour, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, pp. 285–304.
- Laughlin, C. D., and d'Aquili, E. G. (1974).Biogenetic Structuralism, Columbia University Press, New York.
- Lenneberg, E. H. (1964/1968). The capacity for language acquisition. In Cohen, A. (ed.),Man in Adaptation: The Biosocial Background, Aldine, Chicago, pp. 228–247.
- Lorenz, K. (1965).Evolution and Modification of Behavior, University of Chicago Press, Chicago.
- Marler, P., and Hamilton, W. J., III (1966).Mechanisms of Animal Behavior, Wiley, New York.
- Mayr, E. (1959). Darwin and the evolutionary theory in biology. In Meggers, B. J. (ed.),Evolution and Anthropology: A Centennial Appraisal, Anthropological Society of Washington, Washington, D.C., pp. 1–10.
- Monod, J. (1971).Chance and Necessity, Knopf, New York.
- Otterbein, K. F. (1965). Caribbean family organization: A comparative analysis.American Anthropologist 67: 66–79.
- Powers, W. T. (1973).Behavior: The Control of Perception, Aldine, Chicago.
- Ruyle, E. E. (1973). Genetic and cultural pools: Some suggestions for a unified theory of biocultural evolution.Human Ecology 1: 201–215.
- Sapir, E. (1924). Culture, genuine and spurious.American Journal of Sociology 29: 401–429.
- Scribner, S., and Cole, M. (1973). Cognitive consequences of formal and informal education.Science 182: 553–559.
- Tinbergen, N. (1969). Ethology. In Harre, R. (ed.),Scientific Thought 1900–1960: A Selective Study, Clarendon Press, Oxford, pp. 238–268.
- Tinbergen, N., Broekhuysen, G. J., Feekes, F., Houghton, J. C., Krook, H., and Szulc, E. (1962). Egg-shell removal by the black-headed gullLarus ridibundus L.: A behavioural component of camouflage.Behaviour 19: 74–118.
- Valentine, C. A. (1968).Culture and Poverty: Critique and Counter-Proposals, University of Chicago Press, Chicago.
- von Holst, E., and von St. Paul, U. (1962/1966). Electrically controlled behavior. In McGaugh, J. L., Weinberger, N. M., and Whalen, R. E. (eds.),Psychobiology: The Biological Bases of Behavior, Readings from Scientific American, Freeman, San Francisco, pp. 56–65.
- Wann, T. W. (ed.) (1964).Behaviorism and Phenomenology: Contrasting Bases for Modern Psychology, University of Chicago Press, Chicago.
- Williams, G. C. (1966).Adaptation and Natural Selection: A Critique of Some Current Evolutionary Thought, Princeton University Press, Princeton, N.J.
- Is a cultural ethology possible?
Volume 3, Issue 3 , pp 161-182
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- natural selection
- F. T. Cloak Jr. (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. 1417 East Cook Street, Springfield, Illinois