Object manipulation: An interactional strategy with autistic children
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The present research compared the effect of three play procedures upon the frequency and duration of object manipulation by six autistic children. The three interaction play procedures varied in the degree of similarity between the adult's and the child's performances. In procedure 1, the experimenter imitated the subject's movements with her duplicate object. In procedure 2, the experimenter performed a different movement with her duplicate object. In procedure 3, the experimenter performed a different action on a different object. The interaction procedure, in which the experimenter imitated both the material and the method of play chosen by the autistic child, resulted in greater frequency and duration of object manipulation.
- Durfee, J. T., & Lee, L. C.Infant-infant interaction in a daycare setting. Paper presented at the meeting of the American Psychological Association, Montreal, August 1973.
- Bakwin, H. Early infantile autism.Journal of Pediatrics, 1954,45, 492–497.
- Bruner, J. S. Eye, hand and mind. In D. Elkind & J. H. Flavell (Eds.),Studies in cognitive development: Essays in honor of Jean Piaget. New York: Oxford University Press, 1969.
- Despert, J. L., & Sherwin, A. C. Further examination of diagnostic criteria in schizophrenic illness, and psychoses of infancy and early childhood.American Journal of Psychiatry, 1958,114, 784–789.
- Eckerman, C., & Whatley, J. Toys and social interaction between infant peers.Child Development, 1977,48, 1645–1656.
- Eckerman, C., Whatley, J., & Kutz, S. Growth of social play with peers during the second year of life.Developmental Psychology, 1975,11, 42–49.
- Eisenberg, L., & Kanner, L. Early infantile autism.American Journal of Orthopsychiatry, 1956,26, 556–566.
- Guilford, J. P., & Fruchter, B.Fundamental statistics in psychology and education. New York: McGraw-Hill, 1973.
- Kleinbaum, D. G., & Kupper, L. L.Applied regression analysis and other multivariable methods. North Scituate, Massachusetts: Dunbury Press, 1978.
- Liebergott, J. W., & Swope, S. An application of Piaget to language therapy: A child's play is serious work.Communicative disorders: An audio journal for continuing education. New York: Grune and Stratton, 1976.
- Lovaas, O. I.The autistic child: Language development through behavior modification. New York: Irvington, 1977.
- Michelman, S. S. Play and the deficit child. In M. Reilly (Ed.),Play as exploratory learning. Beverly Hills: Sage, 1974.
- Mueller, E., & De Stefano, C.Sources of toddlers' social interaction with their peers (Tech. Rep. 73-2). Boston: Psychology Department, Boston University, 1973.
- Mueller, E., & Vandell, D. Infant-infant interaction. In J. Osofsky (Ed.),Handbook of infant development. New York: Wiley-Interscience, 1976.
- Polan, C., & Spencer, B. A check lis of symptoms of autism in early life.West Virginia Medical Journal, 1959,55, 198–204.
- Thomas, A. Variations in temperament as a factor generating psychological deprivation.Perspectives on human deprivation, biological, psychological, and sociological. Washington, D.C.: Department of Health, Education and Welfare, 1968.
- Tiegerman, E., & Silverman, R. C. Mirror-image interaction: The development of gaze behavior in autistic children.Selected Papers in Language and Phonology: Remediation of Language Disorders, 1977.
- Tilton, J. R., & Ottinger, D. R. Comparison of the toy play behavior of autistic, retarded and normal children.Psychological Reports, 1964,15, 967–975.
- Weiner, B. J., & Ottinger, D. R. Comparison of the toy play of autistic, retarded and normal children: A re-analysis.Psychological Reports, 1969,25, 223–227.
- Weisler, A., & McCall, R. B. Exploration and play: Resume and redirection.American Psychologist, 1976,31, 492–504.
- Winer, B. J.Statistical principles in experimental design. New York: McOraw-Hill, 1971.
- Object manipulation: An interactional strategy with autistic children
Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders
Volume 11, Issue 4 , pp 427-438
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors