Familial heterogeneity in infantile autism
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The incidence of autism and cognitive disability was assessed in the biological siblings of 29 autistic probands subdivided on the basis of IQ. A significant clustering of autism and nonspecific intellectual retardation was found in the siblings of severely retarded autistic probands which was not present in the siblings of our higherfunctioning autistic sample. These findings suggest that there may be etiological differences in autism, depending on the degree of associated mental retardation.
- August, G. J., Stewart, M. A., & Tsai, L. (1981). The incidence of cognitive disabilities in the siblings of autistic children.British Journal of Psychiatry, 138, 416–422.
- Bartak, L., & Rutter, M. (1976): Differences between mentally retarded and normally intelligent autistic children.Journal of Autism and Childhood Schizophrenia, 6, 109–120.
- Folstein, S., & Rutter, M. (1977). A genetic study of 21 twin pairs.Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry, 18, 297–321.
- Freeman, B. J., Ritvo, E. R., Schroth, P. C., Tonick, I., Guthrie, D., & Wake, L. (1981). Behavioral characteristics of highand low-IQ autistic children.American Journal of Psychiatry, 138, 25–29.
- Gillberg, C., & Schaumann, H. (1982). Social class and infantile autism.Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 12, 223–228.
- Hanson, D. R., & Gottesman, I. I. (1976). The genetics, if any, of infantile autism and childhood schizophrenia.Journal of Autism and Childhood Schizophrenia, 6, 209–234.
- Hollingshead, A., & Redlich, F. (1958).Social class and mental illness. New York: Wiley.
- Kanner, L. (1943). Autistic disturbance of affective contact.Nervous Child, 2, 217–250.
- Krug, D. A., Arick, J., & Almond, P., (1980). Behavior checklist for identifying severely handicapped individuals with high levels of autistic behavior.Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry, 21, 221–229.
- Ritvo, E. R., Ritvo, E. C., & Brothers, A. M. (1982). Genetic and immunohematological factors in autism.Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 12, 109–114.
- Rutter, M. (1968). Concepts of autism: A review of research.Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry, 9, 1–25.
- Rutter, M. (1978). Diagnosis and definition. In M. Rutter & E. Schopler (Eds.),Autism: A reappraisal of concepts and treatment. New York: Plenum Press.
- Schopler, E., Andrews, C. E., & Strupp, K. (1979). Do autistic children come from upper-middleclass parents?Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 9, 139–152.
- Stutsman, R. (1948).Merrill-Palmer Scale of Mental Tests. New York: Harcourt, Brace & World.
- Tsai, L., Stewart, M. A., Faust, M., & Shook, S. (1982). Social class distribution of fathers of children enrolled in the Iowa Autism Program.Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 12, 211–221.
- Familial heterogeneity in infantile autism
Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders
Volume 15, Issue 3 , pp 315-321
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors