Group processes in cult affiliation and recruitment
- David A. Halperin M.D.
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Cult affiliation and the maintenance of cult affiliation is a multidimensional process. It may reflect individual psychopathology, familial dysfunction or the use of intense group experiences to create a context in which major personality change may occur. This paper discusses cult affiliation within the context of group dynamics and the formation of group fantasies.
- BLOS, P. The second individuation process. InThe Adolescent Passage. New York: International Universities Press, 1979.
- BORIS, H. N., ZINBERG, N. E. & BORIS, M. Fantasies in group situations.Contemporary Psychoanalysis, 1975, 11(1), 15–45.
- ECKSTEIN, R. The search and yearning for and the rebellion against the father—a group dilemma.International Journal of Group Psychotherapy, 1978, 28, 435–42.
- EDWARDS, C.Crazy for God. Englewood, NJ: Prentice-Hall, 1979.
- ERICKSON, M. H., ROSSI, E. L. & ROSSI, S. I.Hypnotic Realities: The Induction of Clinical Hypnosis and Forms of Indirect Suggestion. New York: John Wiley, 1977.
- EZRIEL, H. Notes on psychoanalytic psychotherapy. II. Interpretation and research.Psychiatry, 1952, 15, 119–126.
- FREED, J.Moonwebs. Toronto: Dorset, 1980.
- FREUD, S. (1912) Totem and taboo.Standard Edition, 13, 1–164.
- FREUD, S. (1921) Group psychology and the analysis of the ego.Standard Edition, 18, 67–145.
- GALPER, M. F. Indoctrination methods of the Unification Church. Paper presented at the Annual Meeting of the California State Psychological Association, Los Angeles, March 13, 1977.
- GIBBARD, G. & HARTMAN, J. The significance of utopian fantasies in small groups.Internationaljournal of Group Psychotherapy, 1973, 23, 125–47.
- KERNBERG, O. Large group processes: Psychoanalytic understanding and applications. Paper presented at the American Psychoanalytic Association meeting, December 18, 1977.
- KERNBERG, O. Leadership and organizational functioning: Organizational regression.International Journal of Group Psychotherapy, 1978, 28(1), 3–27.
- PIERRAKOS, E. Lecture 225. Center for the Living Force, November 24, 1974.
- SILVERMAN, L. H. The unconscious fantasy as therapeutic agent in psychoanalytic treatment.Journal of the American Academy of Psychoanalysis, 1979, 7(2), 189–218.
- SMELSER, N. Collective myths and fantasies. Paper presented to the American Psychoanalytic Association meeting, May 1980.
- WEBER, V. Gnosticism and modern cults. 1982.
- YALOM, I. Book review of S. Freud's “Group Psychology and the Analysis of the Ego.”International Journal of Group Psychotherapy, 1974, 24, 67–82.
- Group processes in cult affiliation and recruitment
Volume 6, Issue 2 , pp 13-24
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- David A. Halperin M.D. (1) (2) (3)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Mt. Sinai School of Medicine, USA
- 2. Cult Information & Treatment Program, Westchester Jewish Community Services, USA
- 3. Cult Hotline Project, Jewish Board of Family & Children's Services, USA