Group processes in cult affiliation and recruitment
- David A. Halperin M.D.
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Cult affiliation and the maintenance of cult affiliation is a multidimensional process. It may reflect individual psychopathology, familial dysfunction or the use of intense group experiences to create a context in which major personality change may occur. This paper discusses cult affiliation within the context of group dynamics and the formation of group fantasies.
- Blos, P. (1979) The second individuation process. The Adolescent Passage. International Universities Press, New York
- Boris, H. N., Zinberg, N. E., Boris, M. (1975) Fantasies in group situations. Contemporary Psychoanalysis 11: pp. 15-45
- Eckstein, R. (1978) The search and yearning for and the rebellion against the father—a group dilemma. International Journal of Group Psychotherapy 28: pp. 435-42
- Edwards, C. (1979) Crazy for God. Prentice-Hall, Englewood, NJ
- Erickson, M. H., Rossi, E. L., Rossi, S. I. (1977) Hypnotic Realities: The Induction of Clinical Hypnosis and Forms of Indirect Suggestion. John Wiley, New York
- Ezriel, H. (1952) Notes on psychoanalytic psychotherapy. II. Interpretation and research. Psychiatry 15: pp. 119-126
- Freed, J. (1980) Moonwebs. Dorset, Toronto
- Freud, S. (1912) Totem and taboo. Standard Edition 13: pp. 1-164
- Freud, S. (1921) Group psychology and the analysis of the ego. Standard Edition 18: pp. 67-145
- GALPER, M. F. Indoctrination methods of the Unification Church. Paper presented at the Annual Meeting of the California State Psychological Association, Los Angeles, March 13, 1977.
- Gibbard, G., Hartman, J. (1973) The significance of utopian fantasies in small groups. Internationaljournal of Group Psychotherapy 23: pp. 125-47
- KERNBERG, O. Large group processes: Psychoanalytic understanding and applications. Paper presented at the American Psychoanalytic Association meeting, December 18, 1977.
- Kernberg, O. (1978) Leadership and organizational functioning: Organizational regression. International Journal of Group Psychotherapy 28: pp. 3-27
- PIERRAKOS, E. Lecture 225. Center for the Living Force, November 24, 1974.
- Silverman, L. H. (1979) The unconscious fantasy as therapeutic agent in psychoanalytic treatment. Journal of the American Academy of Psychoanalysis 7: pp. 189-218
- SMELSER, N. Collective myths and fantasies. Paper presented to the American Psychoanalytic Association meeting, May 1980.
- WEBER, V. Gnosticism and modern cults. 1982.
- Yalom, I. (1974) Book review of S. Freud's “Group Psychology and the Analysis of the Ego.”. International Journal of Group Psychotherapy 24: pp. 67-82
- Group processes in cult affiliation and recruitment
Volume 6, Issue 2 , pp 13-24
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- David A. Halperin M.D. (1) (2) (3)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Mt. Sinai School of Medicine, USA
- 2. Cult Information & Treatment Program, Westchester Jewish Community Services, USA
- 3. Cult Hotline Project, Jewish Board of Family & Children's Services, USA