A randomised double-blind 16-week study of ritanserin in fibromyalgia syndrome: Clinical outcome and analysis of autoantibodies to serotonin, gangliosides and phospholipids
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The aim of the study was to evaluate in a double-blind manner the effect of the long-acting 5-hydroxytryptamine 2 (5-HT2)-receptor blocker Ritanserin on clinical symptoms in patients with fibromyalgia syndrome (FM) and on production of antibodies to serotonin, gangliosides and phospholipids, recently shown to have a high incidence in this disease. Fifty-one female patients with typical FM were included in the 16-week study: 24 received Ritanserin and 27 received a placebo. Antibodies to 5-HT, gangliosides (Gm1) and phospholipids (thromboplastin) were determined by enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay at day 0 and at the end of week 16. The psychological and physical status, including tender points, of the patients was evaluated at day 0 and at the end of weeks 4 and 16. At the end of the study, there was an improvement (p<0.05) in feeling refreshed in the morning in the Ritanserin-treated group and headache was also significantly improved compared with the placebo group. There was no difference in pain, fatigue, sleep, morning stiffness, anxiety and tender point counts in the Ritanserin and placebo groups. Fifty-one per cent of the 51 patients had at least one of the three antibodies to 5-HT, Gm1 and phospholipids. The incidence and activity of these antibodies were not influenced by Ritanserin or placebo. The observation that Ritanserin has only a small effect on clinical symptoms indicates that disturbances in serotonin metabolism or uptake may be only one factor in the pathogenesis of the disease. The high incidence of a defined autoantibody pattern in FM could again be confirmed in this study. However, it remains speculative whether immunological reactions are, indeed, involved.
- Wolfe F, Smythe HA, Yunus MB, et al. The American College of Rheumatology 1990. Criteria for the classification of fibromyalgia: report of the multicenter criteria committee Arthritis Rheum 1990;33:160–72.
- Wolfe F, The Vancouver Fibromyalgia Group. The fibromyalgia syndrome: a consensus report on fibromyalgia and disability. J Rheumatol 1996;23:534–9.
- Yunus MB. Towards a model of pathophysiology of fibromyalgia: aberrant central pain mechanisms with peripheral modulation. J Rheumatol 1992:19:846–50.
- Berg PA, Klein R: Fibromyalgie-Syndrom. Eine neuroendokrinologische Autoimmunerkrankung? Dtsch Med Wochenschr 1994;119:429–35.
- Olin R: Fibromyalgi — Ett neuroimmunoendokrinologiskt syndrom? Läkartidn 1995;8:755–62.
- Bennett RM. Confounding features of the fibromyalgia syndrome: a current perspective of differential diagnosis. J Rheumatol 1989;16(S19):58–61.
- Hudson JI, Pope HG. The concept of affective spectrum disorder: relationship to fibromyalgia and other syndromes of chronic fatigue and chronic muscle pain. Baillière's Clin Rheumatol 1994;8:839–56.
- Yunus MB. Psychological aspects of fibromyalgia syndrome: a component of the dysfunctional specturm syndrome. Baillière's Clin Rheumatol 1994;8:811–37.
- Komaroff AL, Goldenberg D. The chronic fatigue syndrome: definition, current studies and lessons for fibromyalgia research. J Rheumatol 1989;16(S19):23–7.
- Griep EN, Boersma JW, de Kloet ER. Altered reactivity of the hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis in the primary fibromyalgia syndrome. J Rheumatol 1993;20:469–74.
- Ferraccioli G, Cavalieri F, Salaffi F et al. Neuroendocrinologic findings in primary fibromyalgia (soft tissue chronic pain syndrome) and in other chronic rheumatic conditions (rheumatoid arthritis, low back pain). J Rheumatol 1990;17:869–73.
- Klein R, Bänsch M, Berg PA. Clinical relevance of antibodies against serotonin and gangliosides in patients with primary fibromyalgia syndrome. Psychoneuroendocrinology 1992;17:593–8.
- Klein R, Berg PA. A comparative study on antibodies to nucleoli and 5-hydroxtryptamine in patients with fibromyalgia syndrome and tryptophan-induced eosinophilia myalgia syndrome. Clin Invest 1994;72:541–9.
- Klein R, Berg PA. High incidence of antibodies to 5-hydroxytryptamine, gangliosides and phospholipids in patients with chronic fatigue and fibromyalgia syndrome and their relatives: evidence for a clinical entity of both disorders. Eur J Med Res 1995;1:21–6.
- Russell IJ, Michalek JE, Viraio GA, et al. Platelet 3H-imipramine uptake receptor density and serum serotonin levels in patients with fibromyalgia/fibrositis syndrome. J Rheumatol 1992;19:104–9.
- Yunus MB, Dailey JW, Aldag JC, et al. Plasma tryptophan and other amino acids in primary fibromyalgia: a controlled study. J Rheumatol 1992;19:90–4.
- Moldofsky H, Scarisbrick P, England BA, Smythe H. Musculoskeletal symptoms and non-REM sleep disturbances in patients with ‘fibrositis syndrome’ and healthy subjects. Arthritis Rheum 1990;33:160–72.
- Jaeschke R, Adachi J, Guyatt G, Keller J, Wong B. Clinical usefulness of amitripyline in fibromyalgia: the results of 23 N-of-1 randomized controlled trials. Rheumatol 1991;18:447–51.
- Carette S, Bell MJ, Reynolds WJ et al. Comparison of amitriptyline cyclobenzaprine and placebo in the treatment of fibromyalgia. Arthritis Rheum 1994;37:32–40.
- Olin R, Johannsson V, Hellgren A. Ritanserin-Fibromyalgia. A double blind study. In: Abstract book: International meeting on chronic fatigue syndrome, Dublin 1994 (not paginated).
- Idzikowski C, Cowen PJ, Nutt D, Mills FJ. The effects of chronic ritanserin treatment on sleep and the neuroendocrine response to L-tryptophan. Psychopharmacology 1987;93:416–20.
- Kreuger JM, Johannsen L. Bacterial products, cytokines and sleep. J Rheumatol 1989;16(S19):52–7.
- Göbel H, Hamouz V, Hansen C, Heininger K, et al. Chronic tension-type headache: amitriptyline reduces clinical headacheduration and experimental pain sensitivity but does not alter pericranial muscle activity readings. Pain 1994;59:241–9.
- Ansink BJ, Hartman JW, Smakman JGJ. Ritanserin is not effective in tension headache. Headache 1992;32:314 (letter).
- Schott K, Batra A, Klein R, Bartels M, Koch W, Berg PA. Antibodies against serotonin and gangliosides in schizophrenia and major depressive disorders. Eur Psychiatr 1992;7:209–12
- Vedder CI, Bennett RM. An analysis of antibodies to serotonin receptors in fibromyalgia. J Musc Pain 1995;3:73 (abstract)
- Tan EM. Antinuclear antibodies: diagnostic markers for autoimmune diseases and probes for cell biology. Adv Immunol 1989;4:93–151
- Berg PA, Klein R. Mitochondrial antigen/antibody system in primary biliary cirrhosis: revisited. Liver 1995;15:281–92.
- Avrameas S, Dighiero G, Lymberi P, Guilbert B. Studies on natural antibodies and autoantibodies. Ann Immunol 1983;134D:103–13.
- Russell IJ, Vodjani A, Michalek JE, Vipraio GA, Lopez Y, MacKillip F. Circulating antibodies to serotonin (ASA) in fibromyalgia syndrome (FS), rheumatoid arthritis (RA), osteoarthrosis (OA) and healthy normal controls (NS). J Musc Pain 3:143 (abstract).
- Welin M, Bragée B, Oreland L: Levels of antibodies against serotonin are lowered in fibromyalgia patients. J Musc Pain 1995;3:82 (abstract)
- Urbanek R, Kemeny DM, Samuel ID. Use of the enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay for measurement of allergen-specific antibodies. J Immunol Methods 1985;79:123–31.
- Bunn CC, McMorrow M. Anti-M4 antibodies measured by a sulfite oxidase ELISA in patients with both anti-centromere and anti-M2 antibodies. Clin Exp Immunol 1995;102:131–6
- Klein R, Timpl R, Zanetti FR, Plester D, Berg PA. High antibody levels against mouse laminin with specificity for galactosyl-(α1–3)galactose in patients with inner ear diseases. Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol 1989;98:537–42.
- A randomised double-blind 16-week study of ritanserin in fibromyalgia syndrome: Clinical outcome and analysis of autoantibodies to serotonin, gangliosides and phospholipids
Volume 17, Issue 2 , pp 89-94
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Anti-ganglioside antibodies
- Anti-phospholipid antibodies
- Anti-serotonin antibodies
- Fibromyalgia syndrome
- 5-HT-receptor blocker
- Industry Sectors