External validation of oppositional disorder and attention deficit disorder with hyperactivity
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Validity of the distinction between oppositional disorder (OD) and attention deficit disorder with hyperactivity (ADDH) was examined in a sample of 6- to 12-year-old boys with behavior problems. Problem identification, cognitive/attentional, family context, and behavioral symptom differences were examined among nine boys with OD only, 20 with ADDH, 40 with comorbid OD and ADDH, and 28 with neither disruptive behavior disorder. Systematic comparisons of groups including and excluding the OD and ADDH diagnoses were undertaken to determine the existence of pure OD and pure ADDH disorder effects. The most consistent result was the lack of evidence for either pure OD or pure ADDH effects. Most of the significant findings reflected differences between the nondisruptive (neither) and comorbid groups. The results support the importance of comorbidity, but they provide little support for disorder-specific distinctions between oppositional and attention deficit disorders.
- Abikoff, H., & Klein, R. G. (1992). Attention-deficit hyperactivity and conduct disorder: Comorbidity and implications for treatment.Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 60 881–892.
- Achenbach, T. M. (1991).Manual for the Child Behavior Checklist/4-18 and 1991 Profile. Burlington: Department of Psychiatry, University of Vermont.
- Achenbach, T. M., & Edelbrock, C. S. (1983).Manual for the Revised Child Behavior Checklist and Profile. Burlington, VT: University Associates in Psychiatry.
- Barkley, R. A., Anastopoulos, A. D., Guevremont, D. C., & Fletcher, K. E. (1992). Adolescents with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder: Mother-adolescent interactions, family beliefs and conflicts, and maternal psychopathology.Journal of Abnormal Child Psychology, 20 263–288.
- Barkley, R. A., Fischer, M., Edelbrock, C. S., & Smallish, L. (1991). The adolescent outcome of hyperactive children diagnosed by research criteria, III: Mother-child interactions, family conflicts, and maternal psychopathology.Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry, 32 233–255.
- Biederman, J., Newcorn, J., & Sprich, S. (1991). Comorbidity of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder with conduct, depressive, anxiety, and other disorders.American Journal of Psychiatry, 148 564–577.
- Boyle, M. H. Offord, D. R. Racine, Y., Sanford, M., Szatmari, P., Fleming, J. E., & Price-Munn, N. (1993). Evaluation of the diagnostic interview for children and adolescents for use in general population samples.Journal of Abnormal Child Psychology, 21 663–681.
- Cairns, E., & Cammock, T. (1978). Development of a more reliable version of the Matching Familiar Figures Test.Developmental Psychology, 14 555–560.
- Epstein, M. A., Shaywitz, S. E., Shaywitz, B. A., & Woolston, J. L. (1991). The boundaries of attention deficit disorder.Journal of Learning Disabilities, 24 78–87.
- Faraone, S. V. Biederman, J., Keenan, K., & Tsuang, M. T. (1991). Separation of DSM-III attention deficit disorder and conduct disorder: Evidence from a family-genetic study of American child psychiatric patients.Psychological Medicine.21 109–121.
- Frick, P. J., Kamphaus, R. W., Lahey, B. B., Loeber, R., Christ, M. A., Hart, E. L., & Tannenbaum, L. E. (1991). Academic underachievement and the disruptive behavior disorders.Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 59 289–294.
- Frick, P. J. Lahey, B. B., Loeber, R., Stouthamer-Loeber, M., Christ, M. A., & Hanson, K. (1992). Familial risk factors to oppositional defiant disorder and conduct disorder: Parental psychopathology and maternal parenting.Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 60 49–55.
- Goyette, C. H., Conners, C. K., & Ulrich, R. F. (1978). Normative data on the revised Conners parent and teacher rating scales.Journal of Abnormal Child Psychology, 6 221–236.
- Herjanic, B. (1981).The diagnostic interview for children and adolescents: Parent version (DICA-P). St. Louis: Washington University.
- Hinshaw, S. P. (1987). On the distinction between attention deficits/hyperactivity and conduct problems/aggression in child psychopathology.Psychological Bulletin, 101 443–463.
- Hollingshead, A. (1975).Four factor index of social status. New Haven, CT: Yale University.
- Jastak, G., & Jastak, J. (1978).Manual for the Wide Range Achievement Test — Revised. Circle Pines, MN: American Guidance Service.
- Keppel, G. (1991).Design and analysis: A researcher's handbook (3rd ed.). Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice-Hall.
- Lahey, B. B., Loeber, R., Stouthamer-Loeber, M., Christ, M. A., Green, S., Russo, M., Frick, P. J., & Dulcan, M. (1990). Comparison of DSM-III and DSM-III-R diagnoses for prepubertal children: Changes in prevalence and validity.Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, 29 620–626.
- Lahey, B. B., Loeber, R., Quay, H. C. Frick, P. J., & Grimm, J. (1992). Oppositional defiant and conduct disorders: Issues to be resolved for DSM-IV.Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, 31 539–546.
- Lahey, B. B., Piacentini, J. C., McBurnett, K., Stone, P., Hartdagen, S., & Hynd, G. (1988). Psychopathology in the parents of children with conduct disorder and hyperactivity.Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, 27 163–170.
- Lilienfeld, A. M., & Lilienfeld, D. E. (1980).Foundations of epidemiology (2nd ed.). New York: Oxford University Press.
- Lindgren, S. D. & Lyon, D. A. (1984).Pediatric assessment of cognitive efficiency (PACE). Iowa City: University of Iowa, Department of Pediatrics.
- Loney, J. (1987). Hyperactivity and aggression in the diagnosis of attention deficit disorder. In B. B. Lahey & A. E. Kazdin (Eds.),Advances in clinical child psychology (Vol. 10, pp. 99–135). New York: Plenum Press.
- Loney, J. & Milich, R. (1982). Hyperactivity, inattention, and aggression in clinical practice. In M. Wolraich & D. Routh (Eds.),Advances in developmental and behavioral pediatrics (Vol. 3, pp. 113–147). Greenwich, CT: JAI Press.
- Moos, R. H. & Moos, B. S. (1981).Family Environment Scale manual. Palo Alto, CA: Consulting Psychologists Press.
- Reeves, J. C., Werry, J. S., Elkind, G. S., & Zametkin, A. (1987). Attention deficit, conduct, oppositional, and anxiety disorders in children: II. Clinical characteristics.Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, 26 144–155.
- Schachar, R., & Logan, G. (1990). Are hyperactive children deficient in attentional capacity?Journal of Abnormal Child Psychology, 18 493–513.
- Schachar, R., & Wachsmuth, R. (1990). Oppositional disorder in children: A validation study comparing conduct disorder, oppositional disorder, and normal control children.Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry, 31 1089–1102.
- Steingard, R., Biederman, J., Doyle, A., & Sprich-Buckminster, S. (1992). Psychiatric comorbidity in attention deficit disorder: Impact on the interpretation of child behavior checklist results.Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, 31 449–454.
- Swanson, J., Nolan, W., & Pelham, W. (1981).The SNAP rating scale for the diagnosis of attention deficit disorder. Paper presented at the annual meeting of the American Psychological Association, Los Angeles.
- Szatmari, P., Boyle, M., & Offord, D. R. (1989). ADDH and conduct disorder: Degree of diagnostic overlap and differences among correlates.Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, 28 865–872.
- Wechsler, D. (1974).The Wechsler Intelligence Scale for Children — Revised. New York: Psychological Corp.
- Welner, Z., Reich, W., Herjanic, B., Jung, K., & Amado, H. (1987). Reliability, validity, and parent-child agreement studies of the diagnostic interview for children and adolescents (DICA).Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, 26 649–653.
- Werry, J. S., Elkind, G. S., & Reeves, J. C. (1987). Attention deficit, conduct, oppositional, and anxiety disorders in children: III: Laboratory differences.Journal of Abnormal Child Psychology, 15 409–428.
- External validation of oppositional disorder and attention deficit disorder with hyperactivity
Journal of Abnormal Child Psychology
Volume 23, Issue 4 , pp 453-471
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Psychology, Miami University, 45056, Oxford, Ohio, USA
- 2. Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Science, SUNY Stony Brook, Stony Brook, New York, USA
- 3. Department of Pediatrics, University of Iowa, Iowa City, Iowa, USA