Pulverized coal plasma gasification
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
A number of experiments on the plasma-vapor gasification of brown coals of three types have been carried out using an experimental plant with an electric-arc reactor of the combined type. On the basis of the material and heat balances, process parameters have been obtained: the degree of carbon gasification (ζc), the level of sulfur conversion into the gas phase (ζs), the synthesis gas concentration (CO+Hz) in the gaseous products, and the specific power consumption for the gasification process. The degree of gasification was 90.5-95.0%, the concentration of the synthesis gas amounted to 84.7–85.7%, and the level of sulfur conversion into the gas phase was 94.3–96.7%. Numerical study of the process of plasma gasification of coals was carried out using a mathematical model of motion, heating, and gasification of polydisperse coal particles in an electric-arc reactor of the combined type with an internal heat source (arc). The initial conditions for a conjugate system of nonlinear differential equations of the gas dynamics and kinetics of a pulverized coal stream interacting with the electric arc and oxidizer (water vapor) agree with the initial conditions of the experiments. The computation results satisfactorily correlate with the experimental data. The mathematical model can be used for the determination of reagent residence time and geometrical dimensions of the plasma reactor for the gasification of coals.
- D. Bittner, H. Bauman, C. Peucker, J. Klein, and H. Juntgen,Erdol Kohle, Erdgas, Petrochem. 34, 237 (1981).
- J. G. Wragg, M. A. Kaleel, and C. S. Kim,Coal Process. Technol. 6, 186 (1980).
- E. A. Kolobova,Khim. Tverd. Topl., No.2, 91 (1983).
- H. Herlitz and S. Santen,Chem. Stosow. 28, 49 (1984).
- V. E. Messerle, Z. B. Sakipov, and B. G. Trusov,Izv. Sib. Otd. Akad Nauk SSSR, Ser. Tekh. Nauk, No.18, 95 (1988).
- Z. B. Sakipov, V. E. Messerle, Sh. Sh. Ibrayev,et al., Khimi. Vys. Energ.20, 61 (1986).
- Z. B. Sakipov, V. E. Messerle, Sh. Sh. Ibrayev, and V. P. Riabinin,Abstracts of Proc. of the 9th All-Union Conference on Low-Temperatures Plasma Generators, ILIM, Frunze, (1983), p. 364.
- USSR State Standard GOST 10533-72: Brown Coal, Anthracite, Rock, Oil Shale, and Peat, Methods of Chemical Analysis of Ash.
- American Society for Testing and Materials, Baltimore (1963).
- G. B. Siniarev, N. A. Vatolin, B. G. Trusov, and G. K. Moiseev,Computer Applications in Thermodynamic Calculations of Metallurgical Processes, Nauka, Moscow (1982).
- M. I. Vdovenko, Sh. Sh. Ibrayev, V. E. Messerle,et al., Plasma Gasification and Pyrolysis of High-Grade Coal, ENIN, Moscow (1987), p. 59.
- Z. R. Gorbis,Heat Transfer and Hydrodvnamics of Disperse Scvoznikh Flows, Energia, Moscow (1970).
- Z. F. Chuhanow,Int. J. Heat Mass Transfer 14, 337 (1971).
- H. Reidelbach, and J. Algermissen, Proceedings of the 13th Intersociety Energy Conversion Engineering Conference, Vol. 1, Society of Automotive Engineers (1978).
- K. M. Sprouse,AIChE J. 26, 964 (1980).
- V. I. Babii and Yu. K. Kuvaiev,Combustion of Coal Dust and Calculation of the Coal Dust Flame, Energoatomizdat, Moscow (1986).
- J. M. Thomas and W. J. Thomas,Introduction to the Principles of Heterogeneous Catalysis, Academic Press, London (1967).
- R. A. Kalinenko, A. A. Levitskiy, Yu. A. Mirokhin, and L. S. Polak,Kinet. Katal. 28, 723 (1987).
- E. S. Golovina, R. A. Kalinenko, A. A. Levitskiy, Yu. A. Mirokhin, L. S. Polak, and O. S. Yusim,Fiz. Goren. Vzryva 5, 88 (1988).
- A. Goyal and D. Gidaspow,Ind. Eng. Chem. Process Des. Dev. 21, 611 (1982).
- N. B. Vargaftik,Handbook of Thermophysical Properties of Gases and Liquids, Nauka, Moscow (1972).
- L. D. Smoot and D. J. Pratt,Pulverized Coal Combustion and Gasification, Plenum Press, New York (1979).
- D. A. Frank-Kamenetskii,Diffusion and Heat Transfer in Chemical Kinetics, Nauka, Moscow (1967).
- S. W. Benson,Thermochemical Kinetics, Wiley, New York, London (1976).
- A. A. Agroskin, V. B. Gleibman, E. I. Goncharov, and V. P. Yakunin,Koks Khim. 2, (1974).
- A. A. Agroskin, E. I. Goncharov, L. V. Lovetskiy, L. A. Makeev, N. S. Griaznov, and V. V. Mochalov,Koks Khim. 11, 1 (1968).
- L. S. Polak, M. Ya. Goldenberg, and A. A. Levitskii,Computational Methods in Chemical Kinetics, Nauka, Moscow (1984).
- H. J. Beiers, H. Bauman, D. Bittner, and 1. Klein, Intern. Symp. on Plasma Chemistry, Eindhoven, Preprint, Paper No. B-2-2 (1985), p.232.
- P. R. Solomon, D. J. Hambeln, R. M. Carangelo, and J. L. Krause, 19th Symp. Intern. Combustion, Pittsburgh (1982), p. 1139.
- F. Kayihan and G. V. Reklaitis,Ind. Eng. Chem. Process Des. Dev. 19, 15 (1980).
- C. K. Westbrook, F. L. Dryer, K. P. Schug, 19th Symp. Intern. Combustion, Pittsburgh (1982), pp. 153–156.
- Pulverized coal plasma gasification
Plasma Chemistry and Plasma Processing
Volume 13, Issue 1 , pp 141-167
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- Plasma gasification
- lower-grade coals
- electric-arc reactor
- mathematical model of plasma gasification of coals
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Institute of Petrochemical Synthesis, Russian Academy of Sciences, 29 Leninskii Prospect, 117071, Moscow, Russia
- 2. Kazakh Research Institute of Power Engineering, Alma-Ata, Kazakhstan