Remarks on elliptic singular perturbation problems
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
We show the effectiveness of viscosity-solution methods in asymptotic problems for second-order elliptic partial differential equations (PDEs) with a small parameter. Our stress here is on the point that the methods, based on stability results , , apply without hard PDE calculations. We treat two examples from  and . Moreover, we generalize the results to those for Hamilton—Jacobi—Bellman equations with a small parameter.
- M. Bardi, An asymptotic formula for the Green's function of an elliptic operator, Ann. Scuola Norm. Sup. Pisa, to appear.
- M. Bardi, Work in preparation.
- G. Barles and B. Perthame, Discontinuous solutions of deterministic optimal stopping time problems, Math. Modeling Numer. Anal. 21 (1987), 557–579.
- M. G. Crandall, L. C. Evans, and P.-L. Lions, Some properties of viscosity solutions of Hamilton—Jacobi equations, Trans. Amer. Math. Soc. 282 (1984), 487–502.
- M. G. Crandall and P.-L. Lions, Viscosity solutions of Hamilton—Jacobi equations, Trans. Amer. Math. Soc. 277 (1983), 1–42.
- M. G. Crandall and P.-L. Lions, Two approximations of solutions of Hamilton—Jacobi equations, Math. Comp. 43 (1984), 1–19.
- P. Dupuis and H. Kushner, Minimizing escape probabilities; a large deviations approach (preprint).
- L. C. Evans, Classical solutions of the Hamilton—Jacobi—Bellman equation for uniformly elliptic operators, Trans. Amer. Math. Soc. 275 (1983), 245–255.
- L. C. Evans and H. Ishii, A PDE approach to some asymptotic problems concerning random differential equations with small noise intensities, Ann. Inst. H. Poincare Anal. Non Linéaire 2 (1985), 1–20.
- L. C. Evans and P. E. Souganidis, Differential games and representation formulas for solutions of Hamilton—Jacobi—Isaacs equations, Indiana Univ. Math. J. 33 (1984), 773–797.
- W. H. Fleming, Exit probabilities and stochastic optimal control, Appl. Math. Optim. 4 (1978), 329–346.
- W. H. Fleming and P. E. Souganidis, A PDE approach to asymptotic estimates for optimal exit probabilities, Ann. Scuola Norm. Sup. Pisa 13 (1986), 171–192.
- W. H. Fleming and C.-P. Tsai, Optimal exit probabilities and differential games, Appl., Math. Optim. 7 (1981), 253–282.
- M. I. Freidlin and A. D. Wentzell, Random Perturbations of Dynamical Systems, Springer-Verlag, New York, 1984.
- H. Ishii, A Simple, direct proof of uniqueness for solutions of the Hamilton—Jacobi equations of eikonal type, Proc. Amer. Math. Soc. 100 (1987), 247–251.
- H. Ishii, A boundary value problem of the Dirichlet type for Hamilton—Jacobi equations, Ann. Scuola Norm. Sup. Pisa Cl. Sci. (4) 16 (1989), 105–135.
- S. Kamin, Exponential descent of solutions of elliptic singular perturbation problems, Comm. Partial Differential Equations 9 (1984), 197–213.
- S. Koike, An asymptotic formula for solutions of Hamilton—Jacobi—Bellman equations, Nonlinear Anal. TMA 11 (1987), 429–436.
- P.-L. Lions, Generalized Solutions of Hamilton—Jacobi Equations. Pitman, Boston, 1982.
- P.-L. Lions, Optimal control of diffusion processes and Hamilton—Jacobi—Bellman equations; Part II, viscosity solutions and uniqueness, Comm. Partial Differential Equations 8 (1983), 1229–1276.
- N. S. Trudinger, Fully nonlinear, uniformly elliptic equations under natural structure conditions, Trans. Amer. Math. Soc. 278 (1983), 751–769.
- I. I. Tsitovich, On the time of first exit from a domain, Theory Probab. Appl. 23 (1978), 117–129.
- S. R. S. Varadhan, On the behavior of the fundamental solution of the heat equation with variable coefficients, Comm. Pure Appl. Math. 20 (1967), 431–455.
- A. D. Vent-tsel’ and M. I. Freidlin, Some problems concerning stability under small random perturbations, Theory Probab. Appl. 17 (1972), 269–283.
- Remarks on elliptic singular perturbation problems
Applied Mathematics and Optimization
Volume 23, Issue 1 , pp 1-15
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links