Contribution of ADHD symptoms to substance problems and delinquency in conduct-disordered adolescents
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
We examined adolescents with conduct disorder (CD) and substance problems to determine if those with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) symptomatology had more severe delinquency and substance involvement. ADHD symptomatology was assessed in two ways: (1) by self-reports using the Diagnostic Interview Schedule for Children (DISC) and (2) by use of DISC plus reports of others (parents, program staff, and program teacher). We divided boys into three ADHD groups based on DISC: those who met criteria, those who reported at least eight current symptoms, and those who reported fewer than eight symptoms. We also divided the same boys into two groups: those with reports of ADHD by two or more sources and those without this multisource ADHD. Examining these definitions of ADHD revealed that boys with either self- or multisource ADHD had more CD symptoms, earlier age of CD onset, more substance dependence diagnoses, and more comorbid depression and anxiety.
- Achenbach, T. M. (1991).Manual for the Child Behavior Checklist/4-18 and 1991 Profile. Burlington: University of Vermont Department of Psychiatry.
- Alterman, A. I. & Tarter, R. E. (1983). The transmission of psychological vulnerability: Implications for alcoholism etiology.Journal of Nervous and Mental Disease, 171, 147–154.
- Alterman, A. I., & Tarter, R. E. (1986). An examination of selected typologies: Hyperactivity, familial and antisocial alcoholism. In M. Golanter (Ed.),Recent developments in alcoholism, (Vol. 4). New York: Plenum Press.
- Alterman, A. I., Tarter, R. E., Baughman, T. G., Bober, B. A., & Fabian, S. A. (1985). Differentiation of alcoholics high and low in childhood hyperactivity.Drug and Alcohol Dependence, 15, 111–121.
- American Psychiatric Association. (1987).Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders (3rd ed., rev.). Washington, DC: Author.
- American Psychiatric Association. (1994).Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders (4th ed.). Washington, DC: Author.
- Anderson, J. C., Williams, S., McGee, R., & Silva, P. A. (1987). DSM-III disorders in preadolescent children: Prevalence in a large sample from the general population.Archives of General Psychiatry, 44, 69–76.
- August, G. J., & Holmes, C. S. (1984). Behavioral and academic achievement in hyperactive subgroups and learning disabled boys.American Journal of the Disabled Child, 138, 1025–1029.
- Barkley, R. A., Anastopoulos, A. D., Guevremont, D. C., & Fletcher, K. E. (1991). Adolescents with ADHD: Patterns of behavioral adjustment, academic functioning, and treatment utilization.Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, 30, 752–761.
- Barkley, R. A., McMurray, M. B., Edelbrock, C. S., & Robbins, K. (1989). The response of aggressive and nonaggressive ADHD children to two doses of methylphenidate.Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, 28, 873–881.
- Biederman, J., Faraone, S. V., Spencer, T., Wilens, T., Norma, D., Lapey, K. A., Mick, E., Lehman, B. K., & Doyle, A. (1993). Patterns of psychiatric comorbidity, cognition, and psychosocial functioning in adults with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder.American Journal of Psychiatry, 150, 1792–1797.
- Biederman, J., Newcorn, J., & Sprich, S. (1991). Comorbidity of attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder with conduct, depressive, anxiety, and other disorders.American Journal of Psychiatry, 148, 564–577.
- Bird, H. R., Canino, G., Rubio-Stipec, M., Gould, M. S., Ribera, J., Sesman, M., Woodbury, M., Huertas-Goldman, S., Pagan, A., Sanchez-Lacay, A., & Moscoso, M. (1988). Estimates of the prevalence of childhood maladjustment in a community survey in Puerto Rico.Archives of General Psychiatry, 45, 1120–1126.
- Bukstein, O. G., Brent, D. A., & Kaminer, Y. (1989). Comorbidity of substance abuse and other psychiatric disorders in adolescents.American Journal of Psychiatry, 146, 1131–1141.
- Conners, C. K. (1969). A teacher rating scale for use in drug studies with children.American Journal of Psychiatry, 126, 884–888.
- Conners, C. K. (1973). Rating scales for use in drug studies with children.Psychopharmacology Bulletin, 9, 24–84.
- Cottler, L., Robins, L., & Helzer, J. (1989). The reliability of the SAM.British Journal of the Addictions, 84, 801–814.
- Crowley T. J., & Riggs, P. D. (1995).Adolescent substance use disorder with conduct disorder, and comorbid conditions. National Institute on Drug Abuse Monograph Series,156, 49–111.
- Fisher, P. W., Shaffer, D., Piacentini, J. C., Lapkin, J., Kafantaris, V., Leonard, H., & Herzog, D. B. (1993). Sensitivity of the Diagnostic Interview Schedule for Children, 2nd edition (DISC-2.1) for specific diagnoses of children and adolescents.Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, 32, 666–673.
- Forehand, R., Wierson, M., Frame, C., Kempston, T., & Armistead, L. (1991). Juvenile delinquency entry and persistence: Do attention problems contribute to conduct problems?Journal of Behaviour Therapy and Experimental Psychiatry, 22, 261–264.
- Gittelman, R., Mannuzza, S., Shenker, R., & Bonagura, N. (1985). Hyperactive boys almost grown up.Archives of General Psychiatry, 42, 937–947.
- Henker, B., Whalen, C. K., Bugental, D. B., & Barker, C. (1981). Licit and illicit drug use patterns in stimulant treated children and their peers. In K. Gadow & J. Loney (Eds.),Psychosocial aspects of drug treatment for hyperactivity (pp. 443–462). Boulder, CO: Westview Press.
- Hinshaw, S. P. (1987). On the distinction between attentional deficits/hyperactivity and conduct problems/aggression in child psychopathology.Psychological Bulletin, 101, 443–463.
- Hollingshead, A. B. & Redlich, R. C. (1958).Social class and mental illness: A community study. New York: Wiley.
- Kashani, J. H., Beck, N. C., Hoeper, E. W., Fallahi, C., Corcoran, C. M., McAllister, J. A., Rosenberg, T. K., & Reid, J. C. (1987). Psychiatric disorders in a community sample of adolescents.American Journal of Psychiatry, 144, 584–589.
- Klein, R. G., & Mannuzza, S. (1991). Long-term outcome of hyperactive children: A review.Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, 30, 383–387.
- Klorman, R., Brumaghim, J. T., Salzman, L. F., Strauss, J., Borgstedt, A. D., McBride, M. C., & Loeb, S. (1988). Effects of methylphenidate on attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder with and without aggressive/noncompliant features.Journal of Abnormal Psychology, 97, 413–422.
- Koriath, U., Gualtieri, T., Van Bourgondien, M. E., Quade, D., & Werry, J. S. (1985). Construct validity of clinical diagnosis in pediatric psychiatry.Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, 24, 429–436.
- Kramer, T., & Loney, J. (1982). Childhood hyperactivity and substance abuse: A review of the literature. In K. Gadow & K. Bialer (Eds.),Advances in learning and behavioral disabilities (pp. 225–259). Greenwich, CN: JAI Press.
- Lahey, B. B., Piacentini, J. C., McBurnett, K. K., Stone, P., Hartdagen, S., & Hynd, G. (1988). Psychopathology in the parents of children with conduct disorder and hyperactivity.Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, 27, 163–170.
- Lewis, D. O., Pincus, J. H., Shanok, S. S., & Glaser, G. H. (1982). Psychomotor epilepsy and violence in a group of incarcerated adolescent boys.American Journal of Psychiatry, 139, 882–887.
- Loeber, R. (1991). Antisocial behavior: More enduring than changeable?Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, 30, 393–397.
- Loney, J., & Milich, R. (1982). Hyperactivity, inattention, and aggression in clinical practice.Advances in Developmental Behavioral Pediatrics, 3, 113–147.
- Magnusson, D., Slottin, H., & Duner, A. (1983). Aggression and criminality in a longitudinal perspective. In K. T. Van Dusen & S. A. Mednick (Eds.),Antecedents of aggression and antisocial behavior (pp. 1–54). Boston: Kluwer-Nijhof.
- Mendelson, W., Johnson, N., & Stewart, M. A. (1971). Hyperactive children as teenagers: A follow-up study.Journal of Nervous and Mental Disorders, 153, 273–279.
- McGee, R., Feehan, M., Williams, S., Partridge, F., Silva, P. A., & Kelly, J. (1990). DSM-III disorders in a large sample of adolescents.Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, 29, 611–619.
- Meyers, K. (1991).Comprehensive Addiction Severity Index—Adolescents. Unpublished manuscript. (Available from K. Meyers, Ph.D., Center for Studies on Addiction, University of Pennsylvania VA Medical Center, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104).
- Moffitt, T. E. (1990). Juvenile delinquency and attention deficit disorder: Boys' developmental trajectories from age 3 to age 15.Child Development, 61, 893–910.
- Moffitt, T. E. (1993). Adolescence-limited and life-course-persistent antisocial behavior: A developmental taxonomy.Psychological Review, 100, 674–701.
- Moffitt, T. E., & Silva, P. A. (1988). Self-reported delinquency, neuropsychological deficit, and history of attention deficit disorder.Journal of Abnormal Child Psychology, 16, 553–569.
- Offord, D. R., Sullivan, K., Allen, N., & Abrams, N. (1979). Delinquency and hyperactivity.Journal of Nervous and Mental Disease, 167, 734–741.
- Plizka, S. (1989). Effect of anxiety on cognition, behavior, and stimulant response in ADHD.Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, 28, 882–887.
- Reeves, J. C., Werry, J. S., Elkind, G. S., & Zametkin, A. (1987). Attention deficit, conduct, oppositional, and anxiety disorders in children: II. Clinical characteristics.Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, 26, 144–155.
- Riggs, P. D., Baker, S., Mikulich, S. K., Young, S. E., & Crowley, T. J. (1995). Depression in substance dependent delinquents.Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Pyschiatry, 34, 764–771.
- Robins, L. M., Wing, J., Wittchen, H. U., Helzer, J. E., Babor, T. F., Burke, J., Farmer, A., Jablenski, A., Pickens, R., Regier, D. A., Sartorius, N., & Powle, L. (1988). The Composite International Diagnostic Interview: An epidemiologic instrument suitable for use in conjunction with different diagnostic systems and in different cultures.Archives of General Psychiatry, 45, 1069–1077.
- Satterfield, J., Swanson, J., Schell, A., & Lee, F. (1994). Prediction of antisocial behavior in attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder boys from aggression/defiance scores.Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, 33, 185–190.
- Schachar, R. (1991). Childhood hyperactivity.Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry, 32, 155–191.
- Schachar, R., Rutter, M., & Smith, A. (1981). The characteristics of situationally and pervasively hyperactive children: Implications for syndrome definition.Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry, 22, 375–392.
- Silva, P. A. (1990). The Dunedin multidisciplinary health and development research study: A fifteen year longitudinal study.Paediatric and Perinatal Epidemiology, 4, 76–107.
- Stewart, M. A., Cummings, C., Singer, S., & DeBlois, C. S. (1981). The overlap between hyperactive and unsocialized aggressive children.Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry, 22, 35–45.
- Szatmari, P., Boyle, M., & Offord, D. R. (1989). ADDH and conduct disorder: Degree of diagnostic overlap and differences among correlates.Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, 28, 865–872.
- Tarter, R. E., Alterman, A. I., & Edwards, K. L. (1985). Vulnerability to alcoholism in men: A behavior-genetic perspective.Journal of Studies on Alcohol, 46, 329–356.
- Tarter, R. E., Laird, S. B., Kabene, M., Bukstein, O., & Kaminer, Y. (1990). Drug abuse severity in adolescents is associated with magnitude of deviation in temperament traits.British Journal of Addictions, 85, 1501–1504.
- Vanyukov, M. M., Moss, H. B., & Tarter, R. E. (1994). Assortment for the liability to substance abuse and personality traits.Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, 708, 102–107.
- Walker, J. L., Lahey, B. B., Hynd, G. W., & Frame, C. L. (1987). Comparison of specific patterns of antisocial behavior in children with conduct disorder with or without coexisting hyperactivity.Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 55, 910–913.
- Wechsler, D. (1974).Manual for the Wechsler Intelligence Scale for Children—Revised. San Antonio, TX: Psychological Corporation.
- Wechsler, D. (1981).WAIS-R Manual. New York: Psychological Corporation.
- Weiss, G., Hechtman, L., Milroy, T., & Perlman, T. (1985). Psychiatric status of hyperactives as adults: A controlled prospective 15-year follow-up of 63 hyperactive children.Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, 24, 211–220.
- Young, S. E., Mikulich, S. K., Goodwin, M. B., Hardy, J., Martin, C. L., Zoccolillo, M., & Crowley, T. J. (1995). Treated delinquent boys' substance use: Onset, pattern, relationship to conduct and mood disorders.Drug and Alcohol Dependence, 37, 149–162.
- Zoccolillo, M. (1992). Co-occurrence of conduct disorder and its adult outcomes with depressive and anxiety disorders: A review.Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, 31, 547–555.
- Contribution of ADHD symptoms to substance problems and delinquency in conduct-disordered adolescents
Journal of Abnormal Child Psychology
Volume 24, Issue 3 , pp 325-347
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links