The effect of superoxide dismutase alleles on aging inDrosophila
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The effects of superoxide dismutase on aging were tested using two differt experimental approaches. In the first, replicated populations with postponed aging were compared with their controls for frequencies of electrophoretic alleles at the SOD locus. Populations with postponed aging had consistently greater frequencies of the allele coding for more active SOD protein. This allele was not part of a segregating inversion polymorphism. The second experimental approach was the extraction ofSOD alleles from different natural populations followed by the construction of differentSOD genotypes on hybrid genetic backgrounds. This procedure did not uncover any statistical effect ofSOD genotype on hybrid genetic backgrounds. This effects on longevity and fecundity due to the family from which a particularSOD genotype was derived. To detect the effects ofSOD genotypes on longevity with high probability would require a ten-fold increase in the number of families used.
- Ayala, F. J., J. R. Powell, M. L. Tracey, C. A. Mourao & S. Perez-Sala, 1972. Enzyme variability in theDrosophila willistoni group. IV. Genic variation in natural populations ofDrosophila willistont. Genetics 70: 113–139.
- Graves, J. L. & M. R. Rose, 1990. Flight duration inDrosophila melanogaster selected for postponed senescence, pp. 59–65 in Genetic effects on aging. II, edited by D. E. Harrison. Telford Press, Caldwell, N.J.
- Graves, J. L., E. C. Toolson, C. Jeong, L. N. Vu & M. R. Rose 1992. Desiccation, flight, glycogen, and postoned senescence inDrosophila melanogaster. Phys. Zool. 65: 268–286.
- Harman, D., 1956. Aging—a theory based on free radical and radiation chemistry. J. Gerontol. 11: 298–300.
- Hutchinson, E. W. & M. R. Rose, 1987. Genetics of aging in insects. Rev. Biol. Res. Aging 3: 63–70.
- Hutchinson, E. W. & M. R. Rose, 1991. Quantitative genetics of postponed aging inDrosphila melanogaster. I. Analysis of outbred populations. Genetics 127:719–727.
- Lee, Y. M., H. P. Misra & F. J. Ayala, 1981: Superoxide dismutase inDrosophila melanogaster. Biochemical and structural characterization of allozyme variants. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 78: 7052–7055.
- Luckinbill, L. S., T. A. Grudzien, S. Rhine & G. Weisman, 1989. The genetic basis of adaptation to selection for longevity inDrosophila melanogaster. Evol. Ecology 3: 31–39.
- Maynard Smith, J., 1966. Theories of aging, pp. 1–35 in Topics in the Biology of Aging, edited by P. L. Krohn. Interscience, NY.
- McCord, J. M. & I. Fridovich, 1969. Superoxide dismutase: An enzymatic function for erythrocuprin. J. Biol. Chem. 224: 6049–6055.
- Reveillaud, I., A. Niedzwiecki & J. E. Fleming, 1991. Expersion of bovine superoxide dismutase inDrosophila melanogaster augments resistance to oxidative stress. Mol. Cell. Biol. 11: 632–40.
- Rose, M. R., 1984. Laboratory evolution of postponed senescence inDrosophila melanogaster. Evolution 38: 1004–1010.
- Rose, M. R., 1991. Evolutionary Biology of Aging. Oxford University Press, NY.
- Serradilla, J. M. & F. J. Ayala, 1983. Ecological and evolutionary divergence in five species ofDrosophila. Z. zool. Syst. Evolut.-forsch. 21: 194–200.
- Service, P. M., 1987. Physiological mechanisms of increased stress resistance inDrosophila melanogaster selected for postponed senescence. Physiol. Zool. 60: 321–326.
- Service, P. M., E. W. Hutchinson, M. D. MacKinley & M. R. Rose, 1985. Resistance to environmental stress inDrosophila melanogaster selected for postponed senescence. Physiol. Zool. 58: 380–389.
- Service, P. M., E. W. Hutchinson & M. R. Rose, 1988. Multiple genetic mechanisms for the evolution of senescence inDrosophila melanogaster. Evolution 42: 708–716.
- Singh, R. M., D. A. Hickey & J. David, 1982. Genetic differentiation between geographically distant populations ofDrosophila melanogaster. Genetics 101: 235–256.
- Smit-McBride, Z., A. Moya & F. J. Ayala 1988. Linkage disequilibirium in natural and experimental populations ofDrosophila melanogaster. Genetics 120: 1043–1051.
- The effect of superoxide dismutase alleles on aging inDrosophila
Volume 91, Issue 1-3 , pp 143-149
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- superoxide dismutase
- evolutionary genetics