The counterphobic defense in children
The clinical data for this study were derived from the case histories of five children who consistently used the counterphobic defense either alone or in combination with phobic attitudes. The children's manifestations of this defense appeared in both verbal and nonverbal behavioral patterns. The choice of defensive style was found related to at least three factors: an early history of trauma, especially separation, parental encouragement of “toughness,” and essentially a counterphobic family style.
- Fenichel O: The counterphobic attitude.Int J Psychoanal 20:263–74, 1939.
- Szasz TS: The role of the counterphobic mechanism in addiction.J Amer Psychoanal Assoc 6:309–25, 1958.
- Kahn MM: Role of Phobic and counterphobic mechanisms and separation anxiety in schizoid character formation.Int J Psychoanal 47:306–18, 1966.
- Weissman P: The counterphobic state and its objects.Int J Psychoanal 47:486–90, 1966.
- Geleerd E: Two kinds of denial. In M Schur (Ed),Drives, Affects, Behavior, vol 2. New York, International Universities Press, 1965.
- The counterphobic defense in children
Child Psychiatry and Human Development
Volume 1, Issue 3 , pp 178-191
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links