Application of rapid freezing followed by freeze-substitution acrolein fixation for cytochemical studies of the rat stomach
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
A method involving rapid freezing followed by substitution fixation was developed, using acrolein as a fixative. This was then applied to several cytochemical stainings, and showed well preserved and clear cell structures. Membranes were apparently negatively stained and the ultrastructure of mitochondria, rough endoplasmic reticulum and Golgi apparatus was clearly discernible. The mitochondrial and cytoplasmic matrices were stained rather densely compared with routine chemically fixed preparations, implying a good preservation of matrix substrances. Periodic acid-thiocarbohydrazide-silver proteinate staining was applied to the present method. The mucous granules of surface covering epithelial cells indicated fine staining of bipartite structure and the Golgi apparatus of mucous cells showed clear staining differences based on polarity. Postembedding lectin-ferritin and immunocytochemical stainings were applicable to the present preparations and stable stainings of secretory granules were obtained. A low temperature embedding material, Lowicryl K4M, was also examined. The cell preservation of these samples was not as good as those embedded in Epon, but the rough endoplasmic reticulum and Golgi apparatus of chief cells were stained with anti-pepsinogen antibody as were the secretory granules. The present method was also applicable to light microscopy.
- Axen, R., Porath, J. &Ernback, S. (1967) Chemical coupling of peptides and proteins to polysaccharides by means of cyanogen halides.Nature, Lond. 214, 1302–4.
- Bullivant, S. (1960) The staining of thin sections of mouse pancreas prepared by the Fernández-Morán helium II freeze-substitution method.J. biophys. biochem. Cytol. 8, 639–47.
- Carlemalm, E., Garavito, R. M. &Villiger, W. (1982) Resin development for electron microscopy and an analysis of embedding at low temperature.J. Microsc. 126, 123–43.
- Dudek, R. W., Childs, G. V. &Boyne, A. F. (1982) Quick-freezing and freeze-drying in preparation for high quality morphology and immunocytochemistry at the ultrastructural level: application to pancreatic beta cell.J. Histochem. Cytochem. 30, 129–38.
- Feder, N. &Sidman, R. L. (1958) Methods and principles of fixation by freeze-substitution.J. biophys. biochem. Cytol. 4, 593–602.
- Fernández-Morán, H. (1960) Low-temperature preparation techniques for electron microscopy of biological specimens based on rapid freezing with liquid helium II.Ann. New York Acad. Sci. 85, 689–713.
- Furihata, C., Saito, D., Fujiki, H., Kanai, Y., Matsushita, T. &Sugimura, T. (1980) Purification and characterization of pepsinogens and a unique pepsin from rat stomach.Eur. J. Biochem. 105, 43–50.
- Harvey, D. M. R. (1982) Freeze-substitution.J. Microscopy 127, 209–21.
- Heuser, J. E. &Kirschner, M. W. (1980) Filament organization revealed in platinum replicas of freeze-dried cytoskeletons.J. Cell Biol. 86, 212–34.
- Ichikawa, A., Ichikawa, M. &Hirokawa, N. (1980) The ultrastructure of rapid frozen, substitution fixed parotid gland acinar cells of the Mongolian gerbil.Am. J. Anat. 157, 107–10.
- Inoue, K. &Kurosumi, K. (1982) Studies of ultrastructure and hormone localization of rat adenohypophysis by rapid freeze substitution fixation using liquid propane.J. Electron Microscopy 31, 292.
- King, J. C., Lechan, R. M., Kugel, G. &Anthony, E. L. P. (1983) Acrolein: a fixative for immunocytochemical localization of peptides in the central nervous system.J. Histochem. Cytochem. 31, 62–8.
- Kishida, Y., Olsen, B. R., Berg, R. A. &Prockop, D. J. (1975) Two improved methods for preparing ferritin-protein conjugates for electron microscopy.J. Cell Biol. 64, 331–9.
- Klaushofer, K. &Mayersbach, H. (1979) Freeze substituted tissue in 5′-nucleotidase histochemistry: comparative histochemical and biochemical investigations.J. Histochem. Cytochem. 27, 1582–7.
- Luft, J. H. (1958) The use of acrolein as a fixative for light and electron microscopy.Anat. Rec. 133, 305.
- Mowry, R. W. (1960) Revised method producing improved coloration of acidic polysaccharides with Alcian blue 8GX supplied currently.J. Histochem. Cytochem. 8, 323–4.
- Murata, F., Tsuyama, S., Suzuki, S., Hamada, H., Ozawa, K. &Muramatsu, T. (1983) Distribution of glycoconjugates in the kidney studied by use of labeled lectins.J. Histochem. Cytochem. 31, 139–44.
- Raviola, E., Goodenough, D. A. &Raviola, G. (1980) Structure of rapidly frozen gap junctions.J. Cell Biol. 87, 273–9.
- Roof, D. J. &Heuser, J. E. (1982) Surfaces of rod photoreceptor disk membranes: Integral membrane components.J. Cell Biol. 95, 487–500.
- Roth, J., Bendayan, M. &Orci, L. (1978) Ultrastructural localization of intracellular antigens by the use of protein A-gold complex.J. Histochem. Cytochem. 26, 1074–81.
- Roth, J., Bendayan, M., Carlemalm, E., Villiger, W. &Garavido, M. (1981) Enhancement of structural preservation and immunocytochemical staining in low temperature embedded pancreatic tissue.J. Histochem. Cytochem. 29, 663–71.
- Sabatini, D. D., Bensch, K. &Barrnett, R. J. (1963) Cytochemical and electron microscopy. The preservation of cellular ultrastructure and enzymatic activity by aldehyde fixation.J. Cell Biol. 17, 19–58.
- Saito, T. &Keino, H. (1976) Acrolein as a fixative for enzyme cytochemistry.J. Histochem. Cytochem. 24, 1258–69.
- Smith, P. F. &Keefer, D. A. (1982) Acrolein-glutaraldehyde as a fixative for combined light and electron microscopic immunocytochemical detection of pituitary hormones in immersion-fixed tissue.J. Histochem. Cytochem. 30, 1307–10.
- Specian, R. D. &Neutra, M. R. (1980) Mechanism of rapid mucous secretion in goblet cells stimulated by acetylcholine.J. Cell Biol. 85, 626–40.
- Spicer, S. S. (1965) Diamine methods for differentiating mucopolysaccharides histochemically.J. Histochem. Cytochem. 13, 211–34.
- Sternberger, L. A., Hardy, P. H. Jr., Cuculis, J. J. &Meyer, H. G. (1970) The unlabeled antibody enzyme method of immunohistochemistry. Preparation and properties of soluble antigen-antibody complex (horseradish peroxidase-antihorseradish peroxidase) and its use in identification of spirochetes.J. Histochem. Cytochem. 18, 315–33.
- Suzuki, S., Tsuyama, S., Suganuma, T., Yamatoto, N. &Murata, F. (1981) Postembedding staining of Brunner's gland with lectin-ferritin conjugates.J. Histochem. Cytochem. 29, 946–52.
- Suzuki, S., Tsuyama, S. &Murata, F. (1982) Postembedding staining of rat gastric mucous cells with lectins.Histochemistry 73, 563–75.
- Thiéry, J. P. (1967) Mise en évidence des polysaccharides sur coupes fines en microscopie électronique.J. Microsc. 6, 987–1018.
- Tsuyama, S., Suzuki, S., Suganuma, T. &Murata, F. (1981) Fine structural localization of periodic acid-thiocarbohydrazide-silver proteinate reactive substances in rat thyroid follicular cells.Acta histochem. cytochem. 14, 266–74.
- Van Harreveld, A. &Crowell, J. (1964) Electron microscopy after rapid freezing on a metal surface and substitution fixation.Anat. Rec. 149, 381–5.
- Application of rapid freezing followed by freeze-substitution acrolein fixation for cytochemical studies of the rat stomach
The Histochemical Journal
Volume 17, Issue 9 , pp 967-980
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Anatomy, Kagoshima University School of Medicine, 890, Kagoshima, Japan
- 3. Department of Molecular Oncology, Institute of Medical Science, University of Tokyo, 108, Japan