Staphylococcal meningitis and abscess associated with intracranial Foreign body, as a late complication of cranial trauma
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Report of the case of a patient who presented a meningitis associated with a brain abscess as the result of a head injury which occurred several months beforehand and which, although it seemed trivial at the time, resulted in the penetration into the brain of an unsuspected foreign body. The possibilities of prevention and treatment of such complications are discussed and the necessity for a careful exploration of any penetreting wound of the face even after a trivial head injury is stressed.
- Hand, W. L., and J. P. Sandford, Posttraumatic bacterial meningitis. Ann. Int. Med.72 (1970), 869–874.
- Appelbaum, E., Meningitis following trauma to the head and face. J.A.M.A.173 (1960), 1818–1822.
- Noterman, J., Les traumatismes de l'étage antérieur du crâne. A propos de 99 observations. Acta Chir. Belg.69 (1970), 69–84.
- Lewin, W., Gram negative meningitis following head wounds with especial reference with coliform bacilli. Brit. J. Surg.35 (1948), 266–280.
- Ballantine, H. T., and J. C. White, Brain abscess. Influence of the antibiotics on therapy and mortality. New Engl. J. Med.248 (1953), 14–19.
- Swartz, M. N., and P. R. Dodge, Bacterial meningitis; a review of selected aspects. New Engl. J. Med.272 (1965), 725–731, 779–787, 842–848, 898–902.
- Klastersky, J., J. Beumer, and D. Daneau, Bacteriophage types and antibiotic susceptibility of Staphylococcus aureus. Appl. Microbiol.22 (1971), 1000–1007.
- —, Antibiotic susceptibility of oxacillin — resistant staphylococci. Antimicrob. Ag. Chemoth.1 (1972), 441–446.
- McCracken, G. H., D. F. Chrane, and M. L. Thomas, Pharmacologic evaluation of gentamicin in newborn infants. J. Infect. Dis. (suppl.)124 (1971), 214–223.
- Price, D. J. E., and J. D. Sleigh, Control of infection due to Klebsiella aerogenes in a neurosurgical unit by withdrawal of all antibiotics. Lancet2 (1970), 1213–1215.
- Steckler, R. M., R. Carras, J. A. Epstein, and C. Bazan, Craniofacial injuries due to impalement on an auto gearshift lever. J. Trauma12 (1972), 161–165.
- Staphylococcal meningitis and abscess associated with intracranial Foreign body, as a late complication of cranial trauma
Volume 29, Issue 1-2 , pp 131-136
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Service de Neurochirurgie, Hôpital Universitaire St. Pierre, Belgique
- 2. Service de Médecine et Laboratoire d'Investigation Clinique (Section des Maladies Infectieuses), Institut Jules Bordet, Université Libre de Bruxelles, Bruxelles, Belgique