The cisternal segment of the nervus intermedius of Wrisberg: An anatomical study under the operating microscope
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Section of the nervus intermedius in the cerebellopontine angle, which can cure some cases of facial neuralgia, is made difficult by the anatomical variability of the nerve, by its intimate relationships with the 7th and 8th cranial nerves and by the connections that the nervus intermedius develops with this nerves.
This anatomical study of the neurovascular complex of the cerebello-pontine angle showed that the operating microscope facilitates recognition of the nervus intermedius and that the most suitable point for section lies 5 mm from the internal auditory foramen, i.e. immediately before the junction with the 7th nerve. Attention is also drawn to the relationships that this segment of nerve contracts with the afferent branch of the cerebello-labyrinthine arterial loop, from the apex of which the labyrinthine branch arises.
- Anastasio, P. J. V., Tecnica original para el tratamiento quirurgico del vertigo de Ménière. Madrid: Editorial Paz Montalvo. 1960.
- Bischoff, E. P. E., Mikroskopische Analyse der Anastomosen der Kopfnerven. München. 1865.
- Hunt, J. R., Geniculate neuralgia (neuralgia of nervus facialis). Further contribution to sensory system of facial nerve and its neuralgic conditions. Archs. Neurol. Psychiat., Chicago37 (1937), 253–285.
- Jannetta, P. S., and R. W. Rand, Transtentorial retrogasserian rhizotomy in trigeminal neuralgia by microneurosurgical technique. Bull. Los Ang. Neurol. Soc.31 (1966), 93–99.
- Kempe, L. G., Operative neurosurgery. Berlin-Heidelberg-New York: Springer. 1968.
- Mezzogiorno, V., B. De Luca et C. Mensorio, L'arteria cerebello-labirintica nell'uomo adulto e nel neonato. Quad. Anat. Prat.24 (1968), 327–346.
- — —, Ulteriore saggio anatomo-arteriografico dell'arteria uditiva interna nell'uomo. Quad. Anat. Prat.24 (1968), 512–522.
- Morello, G., Chirurgia dei nervi facciale ed intermediario. Min. Neurochir.1 (1957), 75–81.
- Rhoton, A. L., S. Kobayashi, and W. H. Hollinshead, Nervus intermedius. J. Neurosurg.29 (1968), 609–618.
- Sachs, E., The role of the nervus intermedius in facial neuralgia. Report of four cases with observations on the pathways for taste, lacrimation and pain in the face. J. Neurosurg.28 (1968), 54–60.
- Saunders, R. L., and B. Sachs, Relation of the accessory rootlets of the trigeminal nerve to its motor root. J. Neurosurg.33 (1970), 317–324.
- Scoville, W. B., Hearing loss following exploration of cerebello-pontine angle in treatment of hemi-facial spasm. J. Neurosurg.31 (1969), 47–49.
- Sweet, W. H., and J. C. White, Pain fibers in the petrosal nerves. Archs. Neurol. Psychiat., Chicago69 (1953), 254–255.
- The cisternal segment of the nervus intermedius of Wrisberg: An anatomical study under the operating microscope
Volume 27, Issue 1-2 , pp 53-62
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors