A collocation method for boundary value problems
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Collocation with piecewise polynomial functions is developed as a method for solving two-point boundary value problems. Convergence is shown for a general class of linear problems and a rather broad class of nonlinear problems. Some computational examples are presented to illustrate the wide applicability and efficiency of the procedure.
- Ahlberg, J. H., Nilson, E. N., Walsh, J. L.: The theory of splines and their applications. New York: Academic Press 1967
- Bailey, P. B., Shampine, L. F., Waltman, P. E.: Nonlinear two-point boundary value problems. New York: Academic Press 1968.
- Bellman, R. E., Kalaba, R. E.: Quasilinearization and nonlinear boundary-value problems. New York: Elsevier 1965.
- Bramble, J. H., Hubbard, B. E.: On a finite difference analogue of an elliptic boundary problem which is neither diagonally dominant nor of nonnegative type. J. Math. and Phys.43, 117–132 (1964).
- Carrier, G. F.: Singular perturbation theory and geophysics. SIAM Review12, 175–193 (1970).
- Ciarlet, P. G., Schultz, M. H., Varga, R. S.: Numerical methods of high-order accuracy for nonlinear boundary value problems—I. one dimensional problem. Numer. Math.9, 394–430 (1967).
- Collatz, L.: Functional analysis and numerical mathematics, trans. by H. J. Oser. New York: Academic Press 1966.
- —: The numerical treatment of differential equations, 3rd ed. Berlin-Göttingen-Heidelberg: Springer 1960.
- Conte, S. D.: The numerical solution of linear boundary value problems. SIAM Review8, 309–321 (1966).
- Davis, H. T.: Introduction to nonlinear differential and integral equations. New York: Dover 1962.
- Davis, P. J., Rabinowitz, P.: Numerical integration. Waltham, Mass.: Blaisdell 1967.
- De Boor, C.: The method of projections as applied to the numerical solution of two point boundary value problems using cubic splines. Dissertation, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan, 1966.
- Henrici, P.: Discrete variable methods in ordinary differential equations. New York: Wiley 1964.
- Kantorovich, L. V., Akilov, G. P.: Functional analysis in normed spaces. New York: Pergamon 1964.
- Keller, H. B.: Accurate difference methods for linear ordinary differential systems subject to linear constraints. SIAM J. Numer. Anal.6, 8–30 (1969).
- —: Numerical methods for two-point boundary value problems. Waltham, Mass: Blaisdell 1968.
- Krasnosel'skii, M. A.: Topological methods in the theory of nonlinear integral equations. Oxford, England: Pergamon 1964.
- Lees, M.: Discrete methods for nonlinear two-point boundary value problems, in Numerical solution of partial differential equations, ed. by, J. H. Bramble, New York: Academic Press 1966.
- Luttman, F. W., Rivlin, T. J.: Some numerical experiments in the theory of polynomial interpolation. IBM J. Res. Develop.9, 187–191 (1965).
- Naimark, M. A.: Linear differential equations, Part I. English trans. by E. R. Dawson, ed. by W. N. Everitt. New York: Ungar 1967.
- Ortega, J. M., Rheinboldt, W. C.: Iterative solution of nonlinear equations in several variables. New York: Academic Press 1970.
- Rivlin, T. J.: An introduction to the approximation of functions. Waltham, Mass: Blaisdell 1969.
- Roark, A. L., Shampine, L. F.: On the numerical solution of a linear two-point boundary value problem, Sandia Laboratory Technical Memorandum SC-TM-67-588. Albuquerque, New Mexico, 1967.
- Shampine, L. F.: Boundary value problems for ordinary differential equations. SIAM J. Numer. Anal.5, 219–242 (1968).
- —: Boundary value problems for ordinary differential equations II: Patch bases and monotone methods. SIAM J. Numer. Anal.6, 414–431 (1969).
- Shindler, A. A.: Some theorems of the general theory of approximate methods of analysis and their application to the collocation moments and Galerkin methods. Sibirskii Mathematicheskii Zhurnal8, 415–432 (1967).
- —: Rate of convergence of the enriched collocation method for ordinary differential equations. Sibirskii Mathematicheskii Zhurnal10, 229–233 (1969).
- Timoshenko, S., Woinowsky-Krieger, S.: Theory of plates and shells. New York: McGraw-Hill 1959.
- Urabe, M.: Numerical solution of multi-point boundary value problems in Chebyshev series — theory of the method. Numer. Math.9, 341–366 (1967).
- — Reiter, A.: Numerical computation of nonlinear forced oscillations by Galerkin's procedure. J. Math. Ann. and Appl.14, 107–140 (1966).
- Vainniko, G. M.: On the stability and convergence of the collocation method. Differentsial'nye Uravneniya1, 244–254 (1965).
- —: On convergence of the collocation method for nonlinear differential equations. USSR Comp. Math. and Math. Phys.6, 35–42 (1966).
- Wilkinson, J. H.: The algebraic eigenvalue problem. London: Oxford University Press 1965.
- A collocation method for boundary value problems
Volume 19, Issue 1 , pp 1-28
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors