The chemistry of chromium(V) oxide trichloride
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The recent upsurge of interest in chromium(V)(1–8) has highlighted two features of especial interest in its chemistry. Firstly, the complexes of chromium(V) are considerably more stable than has generally been assumed in the past, as exemplified by the recent characterisation of a water soluble complex, potassium bis(2-hydroxy-2-methylbutyrato)oxochromate(V)(1). Secondly, the d1 electronic configuration of the complexes makes them ideal model systems for study by such techniques as electron paramagnetic resonance (2) and electronic absorption spectroscopy(3,4) . Although chromium(V) oxide trichloride was first prepared in 1962, by the reaction between chromium(VI) oxide and SOCl2 or SO2Cl2 (9 10), and subsequently by the reaction between CrO2Cl2 and BCl3 (11), its chemistry and physical properties have remained virtually unstudied. We report here the first series of reactions of CrOCl3, along with details of its i.r. and photoelectron spectra.
- M. Krumpolc B. G. DeBoer and J. Roček,J. Am. Chem. Soc., 100, 145 (1978).
- C. D. Garner, I. H. Hillier, F. E. Mabbs, C. Taylor and M. F. Guest,J. Chem. Soc. Dalton Trans., 2258 (1976).
- C. D. Garner, J. Kendrick, P. Lambert, F. E. Mabbs and I. H. Hillier,Nature, 258, 138 (1975).
- C. D. Garner, J. Kendrick, P. Lambert, F. E. Mabbs and I. H. Hillier,Inorg. Chem., 15, 1287 (1976).
- B. Gahan, C. D. Garner, L. H. Hill, F. E. Mabbs, K. D. Hargrave and A. T. McPhail,J. Chem. Soc. Dalton Trans., 1726 (1977).
- K. R. Seddon and V. H. Thomas,J. Chem. Soc. Dalton Trans., 2195(1977).
- K. R. Seddon and V. H. Thomas,Inorg. Chem., 17, 749 (1978).
- C. Rosenblum and S. L. Holt,Transitinn Metal Chemistry, 7, 87 (1972).
- H.-L. Krauss and G. Münster,Z. Naturforsch, Teil B, 17, 344 (1962).
- H.-L. Krauss, M. Leder and G. Münster,Chem. Ber., 96, 3008 (1963).
- R. B. Johannesen and H.-L. Krauss,Chem. Ber., 97, 2094 (1964).
- F. A. Miller, G. L. Carlson and W. B. White,Spectrochim. Acta, 15, 709 (1959).
- F. A. Miller and L. R. Cousins,J. Chem. Phys., 26, 329 (1957).
- F. A. Miller and W. K. Baer,Spectrochim. Acta, 17, 11 (1961).
- P. A. Cox, S. Fvans, A. Hamnet and A. F. Orchard,Chem. Phys. Lett., 7, 414 (1970).
- S. Sarkar and J. P. Singh,J. Chem. Soc. Chem. Commun., 509 (1974).
- D. Nicholls and K. R. Seddon,J. Chem. Soc. Dalton Trans., 2747 (1973).
- E. K. Mooney and K. R. Seddon,Transition Met. Chem., 2, 215 (1977).
- The chemistry of chromium(V) oxide trichloride
Transition Metal Chemistry
Volume 3, Issue 1 , pp 318-320
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links