The Spanish translation and cultural adaptation of the Diagnostic Interview Schedule for Children (DISC) in Puerto Rico
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
This article illustrates a comprehensive cross-cultural adaptation model used to translate into Spanish and to culturally adapt the Diagnostic Interview Schedule for Children (DISC). The process strived to identify similar phenomena to those identified by the original English version in a dissimilar context. To attain cross-cultural equaivalency five important dimensions were addressed: semantic, technical, content, criterion and conceptual. To meet this challenge various steps were taken, including bilingual committee, back-translation, reliability and validity testing. The result is an instrument which could be used, not only in Puerto Rico, but also in other Spanishspeaking child and adolescent populations after appropriate cultural adaptations.
- Al-Issa, I. 1982 Does Culture Make a Difference in Psychopathology?In Culture and Psychopathology. I. Al-Issa, ed. Baltimore: University Park Press.
- American Psychiatric Association 1987 Committee on Nomenclature and Statistics. Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Third Edition, Revised. Washington, DC: American Psychiatric Association.
- Beiser, M. 1990 Flower of Two Soils: Final report. Submitted in fulfillment of requirements for N.I.M.H. Grant No. 5-ROI-MH36678 and Canada Health and Welfare N.H.R.D.P. Grant No. 6610-1322-04.
- Bravo, M., G.J. Canino, and H. Bird 1987 La tradución y adaptación del esquema de entrevista diagnóstica DIS en Puerto Rico. Acta Psiquiátrica y Psicológica de América Latina, 33:27–42.
- Bravo M, M. Rubio-Stipec, and M. Woodbury-Fariña 1991 A Cross-Cultural Adaptation of a Diagnostic Instrument: The DIS Adaptation in Puerto Rico. Culture, Medicine and Psychiatry 15:1–18.
- Brislin, R.W., W. Lonner, and R. Thorndike 1973 Cross Cultural Research Methods. New York: John Wiley & Sons.
- Carstairs, G.M., and R. Kapur 1976 The Great Universe of Kota. Berkeley, CA: University of California Press.
- Costello, A.J., C.S. Edelbrock, M.M. Dulcan, R. Kalas, and S. Klaric 1984 Report of the NIMH Diagnostic Interview Schedule for Children (DISC). Washington, D.C.: National Institute of Mental Health.
- Costello, A.J., R. Kalas, M.K. Kessler, and S.J. Klaric 1982 NIMH Diagnostic Interview Schedule for Children. Bethesda, MD: National Institute of Mental Health.
- Draguns, J.G. 1980 Psychological Disorders of Clinical Severity. Handbook of Cross Cultural Psychology, Psychopathology, VI. Boston: Allyn and Bacon.
- Edelbrock, C.S., A.J. Costello, M. Dulcan, R. Kalas, and N.C. Conover 1985 Age Differences in the Reliability of the Psychiatric Interview of the Child. Child Development 56:265–275.
- Engelsman, F. 1982 Culture and Depression.In Culture and Psychopathology. I. Al-Issa, ed. Baltimore: University Park Press.
- Flaherty, J.A. 1987 Appropriate and Inappropriate Research Methodologies for Hispanic Mental Health.In Health and Behavior: Research Agenda for Hispanics. M. Gaviria, ed., pp. 177–186. Chicago: University of Illinois Press.
- Fleiss, J.L. 1981 Statistical methods for rates and proportions. New York: John Wiley and Sons.
- Gaviria, M., D.S. Pathak, T. Mitchell, J.A. Flaherty, R.M. Winthrop, H. Martínez, C. García Pacheco, J. Richman, and S. Birz 1985 Developing instruments for Cross-Cultural Research. Paper presented at the American Psychiatric Convention, Dallas, Texas.
- Kinzie, J.D., S.M. Manson, D.T. Vinh, N.T. Tolan, B. Anh, and T.N. Pho 1982 Development and Validation of Vietnamese-Language Depression Rating Scale. American Journal of Psychiatry, 139:1276–1281.
- Kleinman, A., and B. Good eds. 1985 Culture and Depression. Berkeley, Ca: University of California Press.
- Manson, S.M., J.H. Shore, and J.D. Bloom 1986 The Depressive Experience in American Indian Communities: A Challenge for Psychiatric Theory and Diagnosis.In Culture and Depression. A. Kleinman and B. Goods, eds. Berkeley, Ca: University of California Press.
- Murphy, H.B.M. 1982 Culture and Schizophrenia.In Culture and Psychopathology, I. Al-Issa, ed. Baltimore: University Park Press.
- Offord, D.R., M.H. Boyle, P. Szatmari, N. Rae-Grant, P.S. Links, D.T. Cadman, J.A. Byles, J.W. Crawford, H.M. Bluum, C. Byrne, H. Thomas, C.A. Woodward 1987 Ontario Child Health Study II. Six-month Prevalence of Disorder and Rates of Service Utilization. Archives of General Psychiatry, 44:832–836.
- Piacentini, J, D. Schaffer, P. Fisher, M. Schwab-Stone, M. Davies, and P. Giola Submitted the Diagnostic Interview Schedule for Children, Revised Version (DISC-R). iii. Criterion Validity. Archives of General Psychiatry.
- Robins, L.N., J.E. Helzer, J. Croughan, and K.S. Ratcliff 1981 The NIMH Diagnostic Interview Schedule: Its History, Characteristics and Validity. Archives of General Psychiatry, 38:381–389.
- Rogler, L.H. 1989 The Meaning of Culturally Sensitive Research in Mental Health. American Journal of Psychiatry, 146:296–303.
- Ribera, J.C., Canino, G.J., Rubio-Stipec, M., Bravo, M., Bird, H.R., M. Alegría, J.J. Bauermeister, S. Huertas, M. Woodbury-Fariña, and L.M. Guevara Submitted The Diagnostic Interview Schedule for Children (DISC-2) in Spanish: Reliability in a Hispanic Population. Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry.
- Rubio-Stipec, M., Canino, G., Shrout, P., Dulcan, M., Freeman, D., Bravo, M. Submitted Psychometric Properties of Parents and Children as Informants in Child Psychiatry Epidemiology with the Spanish Diagnostic Interview Schedule for Children (DISC-2). Journal of Abnormal Child Psychology.
- Schwab-Stone, M., P. Fisher, J. Piacentini, D. Schaffer, M. Davies, and M. Briggs Submitted The Diagnostic Interview Schedule for Children, Revised Version (DISC-R). ii. Test-retest Reliability. Archives of General Psychiatry.
- Shaffer, D., M.S. Gould, J. Brasic, P. Ambrosini, P. Fisher, H. Bird, and S. Aluivahlia 1983 A children's global assessment scale (CGAS). Archives of General Psychiatry, 40:1228–1231.
- Shaffer, D., M. Schwab-Stone, P. Fisher, M. Davies, J. Piacenti, and P. Giola Submitted a Revised Version of the Diagnostic Interview Schedule for Children (DISC-R): Results of a Field Trial and Proposal for New Instrument (DISC-2). Archives of General Psychiatry.
- Staghezza, Beatriz, Bird, H., Gould, M.S., Canino, G. Unpublished Manuscript Mental Health Service Utilization Among Puerto Rican Children ages 4 through 16. New York State Psychiatric Institute, Columbia University, New York.
- Vernon, S.V., and N.E. Roberts 1981 Further Observations on the Problem of Measuring Nonspecific Psychological Distress and Other Forces of Psychopathology. Archives of General Psychiatry, 38:1239–1245.
- The Spanish translation and cultural adaptation of the Diagnostic Interview Schedule for Children (DISC) in Puerto Rico
Culture, Medicine and Psychiatry
Volume 17, Issue 3 , pp 329-344
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Psychiatry, Department of Pediatrics, and Behavioral Sciences Research Institute, University of Puerto Rico, Medical Sciences Campus, San Juan, P.R.
- 2. Department of Graduate Studies on Education and Department of Economics, University of Puerto Rico, Rio Piedras Campus, San Juan, P.R.