Studies on the survival of corn stalk rot bacteria
Erwinia carotovora andPseudomonas lapsa which cause stalk rot of corn survived in soil and host tissues under different conditions.E. carotovora survived for 150 days and 90 days in sterile and unsterile soils, respectively, whileP. lapsa survived for 135 days and 75 days under similar conditions when they were added as cell suspensions.E. carotovora survived in diseased tissues for 22, 8, and 7 months at 0–5°C (refrigerator), 22–28°C (room), and 20–37°C (field) temperatures whileP. lapsa survived for 26, 10, and 9 months, respectively, under similar conditions. Seeds of Ganga 3 were found to carryP. lapsa for 14 months, when they were stored at room (22–28°C) temperature.
- Ark, P. A., Persistence ofPseudomonas lapsa on seed of field corn. Plant Dis. Reptr.25, 202 (1941).
- Hingorani, M. K., Grant, U. J., and Singh, N.,Erwinia carotovora f. sp.zeae, a destructive pathogen of maize in India. Indian Phytopathol.12, 151–157 (1959).
- Prasad, H. H., Bacterial stalk rot of maize. Agr. Jour. India30, 72 (1930).
- Rangarajan, M., and Chakravarti, B. P., A strain ofPseudomonas lapsa isolated from corn seeds causing bacterial stalk rot in India. Plant Dis. Reptr.51, 764–766 (1967).
- Rangarajan, M., and Chakravarti, B. P., Bacterial stalk rot of maize in Rajasthan, effect on seed germination and varietal susceptibility. Indian Phytopathol. (in press) (1969).
- Rangaswami, G., Bacterial Plant Diseases in India. Asia Publishing House, Bombay (1962).
- Vasudeva, R. S., Report of the division of Mycology and Plant Pathology. Sci. Rept. Indian Agr. Research Inst. New Delhi1958–59, 131–147 (1962).
- Voronkevich, I. V., On the survival in the soil of bacteria of the genusErwinia, causal agents of soft rots of plants (English summary) Bull. Soc. Nat. Moscow. Ser. Biol.65, 95–105 (R.A.M.40, 202, 1961) (1960).
- Studies on the survival of corn stalk rot bacteria
Plant and Soil
Volume 33, Issue 1-3 , pp 140-144
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Martinus Nijhoff, The Hague/Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors