On the well-posedness of the initial value problem in elasto-plastodynamics for a linear comparison solid
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
This work deals with the well-posedness of the linearized initial value problem in solid elastoplastodynamics. By well-posedness we understand existence, uniqueness and continuous dependence of the solution with respect to initial and boundary data. The initial value problem is studied in its most general form using a technique from Kreiss . The cases of elastic and elastic-plastic materials with associated and non-associated plastic flow rules are considered. The analysis is carried under the assumption that the material response remains within the same constitutive cone everywhere (i.e.; exclude loading/unloading subregions). A complete answer to the well-posedness question is given without the requirement of major symmetry of the constitutive tensor. First it is shown that in 2-D the necessary and sufficient condition for well-posedness is the strong ellipticity condition. Up to now this condition had been known only to be a sufficient condition.
- Kreiss, H. O.: Über sachgemäße Cauchyprobleme. Math. Scand.13, 109–128 (1963).
- Hadamard, J.: Lecons sur la propagation des ondes. Paris: Hermann Cie 1903.
- Kreiss, H. O.: Initial boundary value problems for hyperbolic systems. Comm. Pure Appl. Math.23, 277–298 (1970).
- Kreiss, H. O., Lorenz, J.: Initial-boundary value problems and the Navier-Stokes equations. San Diego: Academic press 1989.
- Drucker, D. C.: A more fundamental approach to plastic stress-strain relations. Proc. U. S. Nat. Congr. Appl. Mech.1, 487–491 (1952).
- Il'Iushin, A. A.: On the postulate of plasticity. PMM25, 503–507 (1961) (Bers, L., John, F., Schecter, M., eds.), pp. 503–507. New York: Wiley 1964.
- Hill, R.: A general theory of uniqueness and stability in elastic-plastic solids. J. Mech. Phys. Solids6, 236–249 (1958).
- Rice, J. R., Rudnicki, J. W.: A note on some features of the theory of localization of deformation. Int. J. Solids Struct.16, 597–605 (1980).
- Raniecki, B., Bruns, O. T.: Bounds to bifurcation stresses in solids with non-associated plastic flow laws at finite strain. J. Mech. Phys. Solids29, 153–172 (1981).
- Mandel, J.: Conditions de stabilité et postulat de Drucker. Proc. IUTAM Symp. on Rheology and Soil Mechanics (Kravtcheko, J., Sirieys, P. M., eds.), pp. 58–68. Heidelberg New York Berlin: Springer 1964.
- Browder, F. E.: Strongly elliptic systems of differential equations. Ann. Math. Studies33, 101–159 (1954).
- Weyl, H.: The classical groups. Princeton: Princeton University Press 1946.
- On the well-posedness of the initial value problem in elasto-plastodynamics for a linear comparison solid
Volume 111, Issue 3-4 , pp 181-192
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors