Antibiotic resistance of soil bacteria
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
A total of 560 bacterial isolates from four rhizosphere and eight non-rhizosphere soils were examined for resistance to 7 antibiotics. There were marked differences between the overall levels of antibiotic resistance found in the different soils. The rhizosphere populations were not consistently more antibiotic resistant than their corresponding non-rhizosphere soils.
- Balicka, N., Utilisation of some nitrogen compounds by the microflora of the rhizosphere of clover and timothy grass grown as a pure crop and seed mixture. Acta Microbiol. Polon. II, 121–128 (1962).
- Brisbane, P. G. and Rovira, A. D., A comparison of methods for classifying rhizosphere bacteria. J. Gen. Microbiol.26, 379–392 (1961).
- Brown, M. E., Stimulation of streptomycin-resistant bacteria in the rhizosphere of leguminous plants J. Gen Microbiol.24, 369–377 (1961).
- Gyurko, P., The antagonistic effect on soil bacteria of rhizosphere bacteria of sugar beet. Acta. Agron. Acad. Sci. Hung.9, 175–184 (1959).
- Gyurko, P., Kecskes, M., and Manninger, E., Further data concerning the resistance of rhizosphere bacteria of sugar beet to antibiotics. Fol. Microbiol.,6 347–349 (1961).
- Hely, F., Bergerson, F. J., and Brockwell, J., Microbial antagonism in the rhizosphere as a factor in the failure of inoculation of subterranean clover. Australian J. agr. Research8, 24–44 (1957).
- Holland, A. A., The effect of indigenous saprophytic fungi upon nodulation and establishment of subterrenean clover. Proc. 9th Easter Sch. Agr. Sci. Univ. Nott. 147–164 (1962).
- Kecskes, M., Manninger, E., and Totos, R., Inhibitive effect of antibiotics on micro-organisms on the root surface of grape vines. Pedobiologia3, 22–33 (1963).
- Lochhead, A. G. and Chase, F. E., Qualitative studies of soil microorganisms. V. Nutritional requirements of the predominant bacterial flora. Soil Sci.55, 185–195 (1943).
- Stevenson, I. L. and Rouatt, J. W., Qualitative studies of soil microorganisms. XI. Further observations on the nutritional classification of bacteria. Can. J. Botany31, 438–447 (1953).
- Stout, J. D., The antibiotic relationships of some free-living bacteria. J. Gen. Microbiol.27, 209–219 (1962).
- Antibiotic resistance of soil bacteria
Plant and Soil
Volume 27, Issue 2 , pp 167-171
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Martinus Nijhoff, The Hague/Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors