Antibiotic resistance of soil bacteria
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
A total of 560 bacterial isolates from four rhizosphere and eight non-rhizosphere soils were examined for resistance to 7 antibiotics. There were marked differences between the overall levels of antibiotic resistance found in the different soils. The rhizosphere populations were not consistently more antibiotic resistant than their corresponding non-rhizosphere soils.
- Balicka, N., Utilisation of some nitrogen compounds by the microflora of the rhizosphere of clover and timothy grass grown as a pure crop and seed mixture. Acta Microbiol. Polon. II, 121–128 (1962).
- Brisbane, P. G., Rovira, A. D. (1961) A comparison of methods for classifying rhizosphere bacteria. J. Gen. Microbiol. 26: pp. 379-392
- Brown, M. E. (1961) Stimulation of streptomycin-resistant bacteria in the rhizosphere of leguminous plants. J. Gen Microbiol. 24: pp. 369-377
- Gyurko, P. (1959) The antagonistic effect on soil bacteria of rhizosphere bacteria of sugar beet. Acta. Agron. Acad. Sci. Hung. 9: pp. 175-184
- Gyurko, P., Kecskes, M., Manninger, E. (1961) Further data concerning the resistance of rhizosphere bacteria of sugar beet to antibiotics. Fol. Microbiol. 6: pp. 347-349
- Hely, F., Bergerson, F. J., Brockwell, J. (1957) Microbial antagonism in the rhizosphere as a factor in the failure of inoculation of subterranean clover. Australian J. agr. Research 8: pp. 24-44
- Holland, A. A., The effect of indigenous saprophytic fungi upon nodulation and establishment of subterrenean clover. Proc. 9th Easter Sch. Agr. Sci. Univ. Nott. 147–164 (1962).
- Kecskes, M., Manninger, E., Totos, R. (1963) Inhibitive effect of antibiotics on micro-organisms on the root surface of grape vines. Pedobiologia 3: pp. 22-33
- Lochhead, A. G., Chase, F. E. (1943) Qualitative studies of soil microorganisms. V. Nutritional requirements of the predominant bacterial flora. Soil Sci. 55: pp. 185-195
- Stevenson, I. L., Rouatt, J. W. (1953) Qualitative studies of soil microorganisms. XI. Further observations on the nutritional classification of bacteria. Can. J. Botany 31: pp. 438-447
- Stout, J. D. (1962) The antibiotic relationships of some free-living bacteria. J. Gen. Microbiol. 27: pp. 209-219
- Antibiotic resistance of soil bacteria
Plant and Soil
Volume 27, Issue 2 , pp 167-171
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Martinus Nijhoff, The Hague/Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors