Effects of silica and nitrogen supply on some leaf characters of the rice plant
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
While the degree of leaf erectness of the rice plant is a varietal characteristic, it can be changed greatly by silica and nitrogen nutrition. Nitrogen tends to make rice leaves more droopy and silica keeps them more erect. This effect of silica on leaf erectness is marked when the silica content of leaves is low. Leaf openness is well correlated with the light extinction coefficient of rice populations.
Leaf thickness increases with increasing supply of silica whereas it decreases with increasing supply of nitrogen. Increased nitrogen supply markedly increases leaf length, width, and area. Silica has little effect on these characters.
- Monsi, M., Saeki, T. (1953) Über den Lichfaktor in den pflanzengeselschaften und seine Bedeutung fur die Stoffproduktion. Japanese J. Botany 14: pp. 22-52
- Kariya, K., Sakamoto, S. (1963) Relationship between growth, leaf size and degree of inclination to heavy manuring and plant density. Bull. Chugoku Agr. Expt. Sta. A9: pp. 17-30
- Tanaka, A., Kawano, K., and Yamaguchi, J., Photosynthesis, respiration, and plant type of the tropical rice plant. IRRI Tech. Bull.7, Oct. (1966).
- Tsunoda, S. (1944) Leaf characters and nitrogen response. Proc. Symp. Mineral Nutrition of Rice Plant1964. Johns Hopkins Press, Baltimore, pp. 401-418
- Jennings, P. R., Beachell, H. M. (1964) Breeding rice for nitrogen responsiveness. Johns Hopkins Press, Baltimore
- Yoshida, S., Ohnishi, Y., Kitagishi, K. (1959) Role of silica in rice nutrition. Soil Plant Food 5: pp. 127-133
- Iwata, Y., Baba, I. (1962) Studies on the varietal adaptability for heavy manuring in rice. 2. Effect of silica upon the adaptability of the rice plant for heavy manuring in relation to photosynthesis. Proc. Soc. Sci. Soc. Japan 30: pp. 237-240
- Tanaka, A., Kawano, K. (1965) Leaf characters relating to nitrogen response in the rice plant. Soil Sci. Plant Nutrition 11: pp. 251-258
- Tanaka, A.et al., Growth habit of the rice plant in the tropics and its effect on nitrogen response. IRRI Tech. Bull.3, Oct. (1964).
- Kahler, H. L. (1941) Determination of soluble silica in water, photometric method. Ind. Eng. Chem. Anal. Ed. 13: pp. 536-539
- Togari, Y. (Editor), Sakumotsu-Shikenho (Laboratory Manual in Crop Science) Nogyo-Gijitsu-Kyokai, Tokyo (1956).
- Yoshida, S., Ohnishi, Y., Kitagishi, K. (1962) Histochemistry of silicon in rice plant III. The presence of cuticle-silica double layer in the epidermal tissue. Soil Sci. Plant Nutrition 8: pp. 1-5
- Imaizumi, K., Yoshida, S. (1958) Edaphological studies on silicon supplying power of paddy fields. Bull. Nat. Inst. Agr. Sci. B8: pp. 261-304
- Annual Report for 1965: pp. 45-58
- Effects of silica and nitrogen supply on some leaf characters of the rice plant
Plant and Soil
Volume 31, Issue 1 , pp 48-56
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Martinus Nijhoff, The Hague/Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors