Homophobia: Conceptual, definitional, and value issues
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
The construct of homophobia and the psychometric properties of instruments purporting to measure homophobia are critically evaluated. The history of the term and its various definitions are briefly reviewed. We conclude that existing measures of homophobia have been inadequately psychometrically evaluated and therefore it is not clear whether currently this construct can be accurately measured. It is also concluded that the construct of homophobia, as it is usually used, makes an illegitimately pejorative evaluation of certain open and debatable value positions, much like the former disease construct of homosexuality. Finally, proposals for theory development and construct definition in the domain of reactions to homosexuals and homosexuality are provided.
- American Psychiatric Association (1952).Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders. Washington, DC: American Psychiatric Association.
- American Psychiatric Association (1968).Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders (2nd ed.). Washington, DC: American Psychiatric Association.
- Anastasi, A. (1988).Psychological testing. New York: Macmillan.
- Aquinas, St. T. (1968).Summa theologiae, 43, Temperance. T. Gilby (Trans.). London: Blackfriars.
- Batchelor, E. (Ed.) (1980).Homosexuality and ethics. New York: Pilgrim Press.
- Bayer, R. (1981).Homosexuality and American Psychiatry. New York: Basic Books.
- Bell, N. (1991). AIDS and women: Remaining ethical issues.AIDS Education and Prevention, 1, 22–30.
- Colin, G. (1991). The effects upon helping behavior or wearing pro-gay identification.British Journal of Social Psychology, 30, 171–178.
- Fyfe, B. (1983). “Homophobia” or homosexual bias reconsidered.Archives of Sexual Behavior, 12, 549–554.
- Haaga, D. (1991). “Homophobia?”Journal of Social Behavior and Personality, 6, 171–172.
- Hudson, W., & Ricketts, W. (1981). A strategy for the measurement of homophobia.Journal of Homosexuality, 5, 357–372.
- Kant, I. (1963).Lectures in ethics. L. Infield (Trans.). New York: Harper and Row.
- Lumby, M. (1976). Homophobia: A quest for a valid scale.Journal of Homosexuality, 2, 39–47.
- MacDonald, A. (1976). Homophobia: Its roots and meanings.Homosexual Counseling, 3, 23–33.
- MacDonald, A., Huggins, J., Young, S., & Swanson, R. (1972). Attitudes toward homosexuality: Preservation of sex morality or the double standard?Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 40, 161.
- Millham, J., San Miguel, C., & Kellogg, R. (1976). Factor analytic conceptualization of attitudes toward male and female homosexuals.Journal of Homosexuality, 2, 3–20.
- Morin, S., & Garfinkle, F. (1978). Male homophobia.Social Issues, 34, 29–47.
- Nietzel, M. T., Bernstein, D. A., & Russell, R. L. (1988). Assessment of anxiety and fear. In A. S. Bellack & M. Hersen (Eds.),Behavioral assessment, (3rd ed., pp. 280–312). New York: Pergamon.
- Reiter, L. (1991). Developmental origins of anti-homosexual prejudice in heterosexual men and women.Clinical Social Work Journal, 19, 163–175.
- Ruddick, S. (1975). Better sex. In R. Baker & F. Elliston (Eds.),Philosophy and sex. (pp. 83–104). Buffalo: Prometheus.
- Ruse, M. (1988).Homosexuality: A philosophical inquiry. Oxford: Basil Blackwell.
- Smith, K. (1971). Homophobia: A tentative personality profile.Psychological Reports, 29, 1091–1094.
- Stark, L. (1991). Traditional gender role beliefs and individual outcomes: An exploratory analysis.Sex Roles, 24, 639–650.
- Szasz, T. S. (1961).The myth of mental illness. New York: Hoeber-Harper.
- Szasz, T. S. (1965). Legal and moral aspects of homosexuality. In J. Marmor (Ed.),Sexual inversion. New York: Basic Books.
- Szasz, T. S. (1970).Ideology and insanity. New York: Doubleday.
- Weinberg, G. (1972).Society and the healthy homosexual. New York: St. Martin's.
- Wortman, C. B., & Loftus, E. F. (1988).Psychology (3rd ed.). New York: Alford A. Knopf.
- Homophobia: Conceptual, definitional, and value issues
Journal of Psychopathology and Behavioral Assessment
Volume 15, Issue 3 , pp 177-195
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links