The natural flight of the migratory locust,Locusta migratoria L.
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
High speed cine film ofLocusta migratoria swarms was analysed. The following variables were studied and compared where possible with laboratory data: 1. Wing-beat frequencies of locusts of Australian and New Guinea swarms (mean 22.9 Hz) were higher than laboratory figures (19.8 Hz; Fig. 1). 2. Mean flight speed was 4.6 m/s, which was higher than laboratory figures (3.3 m/s; Fig. 2). 3. Mean body angle to horizontal was 7.4°, and to flight path (in the vertical plane) was 5.2°. Flight speed was found to be correlated with wing-beat frequency with a similar regression line to that found in laboratory work (Fig. 4). Ascent angle was positively correlated with the body angle to horizontal, but not correlated with body angle to flight path (Figs. 3, 5, 6).
- Baker PS (1979) Flying locust visual responses in a radial wind tunnel. J Comp Physiol 131:39–47
- Baker PS, Cooter RJ (1979a) The natural flight of the migratory locust,Locusta migratoria L. I. Wing movements. J Comp Physiol 131:79–87
- Baker. PS, Cooter RJ (1979b) The natural flight of the migratory locust,Locusta migratoria L. II. Gliding. J Comp Physiol 131:89–94
- Cooter RJ (1979) Visually induced yaw movements in the flying locust,Schistocerca gregaria (Forsk.). J Comp Physiol 131:67–78
- Gewecke M (1975) The influence of the air-current sense organs on the flight behaviour ofLocusta migratoria. J Comp Physiol 103:79–95
- Gewecke M, Kutsch W (1979) Development of flight behaviour in maturing adults ofLocusta migratoria: I. Flight performance and wing-stroke parameters. J Insect Physiol 25:249–253
- Kutsch W, Gewecke M (1979) Development of flight behaviour in maturing adults ofLocusta migratoria: II. Aerodynamic parameters. J Insect Physiol 25:299–304
- Lienert GA (1973) Verteilungsfreie Methoden in der Biostatistik. 2nd edn. Anton Hain, Meisenheim am Glan
- Riley JR (1974) Radar observations of individual desert locusts (Schistocerca gregaria (Forsk.) (Orthoptera, Locustidae)). Bull Ent Res 64:19–32
- Riley JR, Reynolds DR (1979) Radar-based studies of the migratory flight of grasshoppers in the middle Niger area of Mali. Proc R Soc London Ser Biol 204:67–82
- Schaefer GW (1976) Radar observations of insect flight. In: Rainey RC (ed) Insect flight. Symp R Ent Soc London, 7. Blackwell Scientific Publications, Oxford, pp 157–197
- Waloff Z (1972) Observations on the airspeeds of freely flying locusts. Anim Behav 20:367–372
- Weis-Fogh T (1956) Biology and physics of locust flight. II. Flight performance of the desert locust (Schistocerca gregaria). Phil Trans R Soc Ser B 239:459–510
- Weis-Fogh T (1976) Energetics and aerodynamics of flapping flight: a synthesis. In: Rainey RC (ed) Insect flight. Symp R Ent Soc, London, 7. Blackwell Scientific Publications, Oxford, pp 48–72
- Wendler G (1974) The influence of proprioceptive feedback on locust flight co-ordination. J Comp Physiol 88:173–200
- Wilson DM (1961) The central nervous control of flight in a locust. J Exp Biol 38:471–490
- Zar JH (1974) Biostatistical analysis. Englewood Cliffs, Prentice Hall
- Zarnack W (1972) Flugbiophysik der Wanderheuschrecke (Locusta migratoria L.). I. Die Bewegungen der Vorderflügel. J Comp Physiol 78:356–395
- The natural flight of the migratory locust,Locusta migratoria L.
Journal of comparative physiology
Volume 141, Issue 2 , pp 233-237
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors