The flow behavior of fiber suspensions in Newtonian fluids and polymer solutions.
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
The main purpose of this study was to examine the viscous and elastic properties and capillary flow of fiber suspensions in Newtonian fluids as well as in polymer solutions. The fillers used were glass, carbon, nylon and vinylon fibers. Glycerin was used as a Newtonian suspending medium and HEC and Separan solutions as viscoelastic suspending media. The viscosity and the first normal-stress difference were measured using a coaxial cylindrical rotating viscometer and a parallel-plate rheogoniometer respectively. The influence of the concentration, aspect ratio, diameter and flexibility of the fibers on the viscous and elastic properties of the fiber suspensions was investigated. Empirical equations were obtained for the relative viscosity and first normal-stress difference for the fiber suspensions in glycerin. The capillary flow of these suspensions is discussed in part II.
- Einstein A (1906) Ann Phys 19:289; (1911) 34:591
- Guth E, Gold O (1948) J Phys Coll Chem 52:277
- Vand V (1948) J Phys Coll Chem 52:277
- Jeffery R (1922) Proc Roy Soc A 102:161
- Shimha R (1948) Proc (First) Intern Congr. Rheology, vol II-68
- Nawab MA, Mason SG (1958) J Phys Chem 62:1248
- Roberts KD, Hill CT (1973) Ann Tech Conf Plastics Engrs. Montreal, May
- Mewis J, Metzner AB (1974) J Fluid Mech 62:593
- Carter L, Goddar J (1967) Nasa Rep. N67-30073
- Maschmeyer RO, Hill CT (1974) Adv Chem Ser 134:95
- Chan Yu, White JL, Oyanagi Y (1978) J Rheology 22:507
- Kitano T, Kataoka T (1981) Rheol Acta 20:390
- Kitano T, Kataoka T (1981) Rheol Acta 20:403
- Chan Yu, White JL, Oyanagi Y (1977) Univ Tennessee Polym Sci Eng Rep No 102, June
- Bogue DC (1966) Ind Eng Chem Fund 5:253
- The flow behavior of fiber suspensions in Newtonian fluids and polymer solutions.
Volume 25, Issue 2 , pp 119-129
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Fiber suspension
- Newtonian fluid
- polymer solution
- relative viscosity
- first normal-stress difference
- Industry Sectors