A new coronavirus-like particle associated with diarrhea in swine
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Coronavirus-like particles were detected by electron microscopy in the intestinal contents of pigs during a diarrheal outbreak on 4 swine breeding farms. Diarrhea was reproduced in experimental pigs with one of the isolates, designated CV777, which was found to be distinct from the 2 known porcine coronaviruses, transmissible gastroenteritis virus and hemagglutinating encephalomyelitis virus.
- Cartwright, S. F., Lucas, M., Cavill, J. P., Gush, A. F., Blandford, T. B.: Vomiting and wasting disease of piglets. Vet. Rec.84, 175–176 (1969).
- Doyle, L. P., Hutchings, L. M.: A transmissible gastroenteritis in pigs. J. Amer. vet. Assoc.108, 257–259 (1946).
- Flewett, T. H., Boxall, E.: The hunt for viruses in infections of the alimentary system: an immuno electronmicroscopical approach. Clinics in Gastroenterology5, 359–385 (1976).
- Greig, A. S., Mitchell, D., Corner, A. H., Bannister, G. L., Meads, E. B., Julian, R. J.: A hemagglutinating virus producing encephalomyelitis in baby pigs. Canad. J. comp. Med. vet. Sci.26, 49–56 (1962).
- Mathan, M., Mathan, V. I., Swaminathan, S. P., Yesudoss, S., Baker, S. J.: Pleomorphic virus-like particles in human faeces. Lancet1, 1068–1069 (1975).
- McNulty, M. S., Curran, W. L., McFerran, J. B.: Virus-like particles in calves' faeces. Lancet2, 78–79 (1975).
- Pensaert, M. B., Haelterman, E. O., Burnstein, T.: Diagnosis of transmissible gastroenteritis in pigs by immunofluorescence. Canad. J. comp. Med.32, 555–561 (1968).
- Pensaert, M. B., Callebaut, P. E.: Characteristics of a coronavirus causing vomition and wasting in pigs. Arch. ges. Virusforsch.44, 35–50 (1974).
- Pensaert, M., de Bouck, P., de Roose, P.: A virus isolated from an apparently new epizootic diarrhea in swine. Proc. 5th World Int. Pig Vet. Congress, Zagreb, Yugoslavia, June 1978, Abstract K. A. 9.
- Philip, J. I. H., Cartwright, S. F., Scott, A. C.: The size and morphology of transmissible gastroenteritis and vomiting and wasting disease viruses of pigs. Vet. Rec.88, 311–312 (1971).
- Pirtle, E. C.: Titration of two porcine respiratory viruses in mammalian cell cultures by direct fluorescent antibody staining. Amer. J. vet. Res.35, 249–250 (1974).
- Witte, K. H.: Isolation of the virus of transmissible gastroenteritis (TGE) from naturally infected piglets in cell culture. Zbl. Vet. Med. B18, 770 (1971).
- Woode, G. N.: Transmissible gastroenteritis of swine. The Vet. Bull.39, 239 (1969).
- Woode, G. N., Bridger, J., Hall, G. A., Jones, J. M., Jackson, G.: The isolation of reovirus-like agents (rotaviruses) from acute gastroenteritis of piglets. J. med. Microbiol.9, 203–209 (1976).
- A new coronavirus-like particle associated with diarrhea in swine
Archives of Virology
Volume 58, Issue 3 , pp 243-247
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors