Serological evidence of human infections with avian influenza viruses
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Two hundred ninety-four subjects from Milan were tested for serum hemagglutination-inhibiting (HI) and neuraminidase-inhibiting (NI) antibodies to five avian influenza viruses. No HI antibodies were found in all the serum samples. On the contrary, NI antibodies to each strain were detected depending on the year of birth of the subjects.
- Dowdle, W. A., Kendal, A. P., Noble, G. R.: Influenza viruses. In: Diagnostic Procedures for Viral, Rickettsial and Chlamydial Infections.Lennette, E. H. Schmidt, N. J. (eds.), 585–609. Washington: Am. Pub. Hlth. Ass., 1979.
- Geraci, J. R., St. Aubin, D. J., Barker, I. K., Webster, R. G., Hinshaw, V. S., Bean, W. G., Prescott, J. M., Early, G., Baker, A. S., Modoff, S., Schooley, R. T.: Mass mortality of harbor seals: pneumonia associated with influenza virus. Science215, 1129–1131 (1982).
- Hinshaw, V. S., Bean, W. G., Webster, R. G., Rehg, J. R., Fiorelli, P., Early, G., Geraci, J. R., St. Aubin, D. J.: Are seals frequently infected with avian influenza viruses? J. Virol.51, 863–865 (1984).
- Laver, W. G., Webster, R. G.: Ecology of influenza viruses in lower mammals and birds. Brit. Med. Bull.35, 29–33 (1979).
- Lu, B. L., Webster, R. G., Hinshaw, V. S.: Failure to detect hemagglunination-inhibiting antibodies with intact avian influenza virions. Infect. Immun.38, 530–535 (1982).
- Shortridge, K. F.: Pandemic influenza: application of epidemiology and ecology in the region of southern China to prospective studies. In: The origin of pandemic influenza viruses. Proc. of International Workshop on the Molecular Biology and Ecology of Influenza virus, Peking 1982, 191–200, New York: Elsevier, 1983.
- Webster, R. G., Laver, W. G.: Antigenic variation of influenza viruses. In:Kilbourne, E. D. (ed.), The Influenza Viruses and Influenza, 270–310, New York: Academic Press 1975.
- Webster, R. G., Geraci, J. R., Petursson, G., Skirnisson, K.: Conjunctivitis in human beings caused by influenza A virus of seals. N. Engl. J. Med.304, 911 (1981).
- World Health Organization: Influenza neuraminidase and neuraminidase-inhibition test procedures. Bull. W.H.O.48, 199–203 (1973).
- Serological evidence of human infections with avian influenza viruses
Archives of Virology
Volume 90, Issue 3-4 , pp 355-360
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors