The genome of orf virus: Restriction endonuclease analysis of viral DNA isolated from lesions of orf in sheep
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The purification of orf virus directly from scab material from clinical cases of orf in sheep and restriction endonuclease analysis of the viral DNA is described. Between 7×109 and 1.6×1011 virus particles, and 0.7 to 22.8 µg of viral DNA could be recovered from lg of scab material. Considerable heterogeneity was observed between different field isolates when restriction endonuclease digests of orf DNA were compared by gel electrophoresis. It was also shown, for two isolates, that these fragment patterns did not change after plaque purification and passage in cell culture. it is suggested that restriction endonuclease analysis of viral DNA offers a convenient method of identification of isolates of orf virus. The molecular weight of orf DNA was determined and found to be 88.8×106.
- Backus, R. C., Williams, R. C.: The use of spraying methods of volatile suspending media in the preparation of specimens for electron microscopy. J. appl. Phys.21, 11–15 (1950).
- Buchman, T. G., Roizman, B., Adams, G., Stover, J. H.: Restriction endonuclease fingerprinting of Herpes simplex virus DNA: A novel epidemiological tool applied to a nosocomial outbreak. J. inf. Dis.138, 488–498 (1978).
- Davidson, N., Szybalski, W.: Physical and chemical characteristics of Lambda DNA. In:Hershey, A. D. (ed.), The Bacteriophage Lambda, 45–82. New York: Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory 1971.
- Davis, R. W., Simon, M., Davidson, N.: Electron Microscope heteroduplex methods for mapping regions of base sequence homology in nucleic aids. In:Grossman, L., Moldave, K. (eds.), Methods in Enzymology, Vol. 21, 413–428. New York: Academic Press 1971.
- Esposito, J. J., Obijeski, J. F., Nakano, J. H.: Orthopoxvirus DNA: Strain differentiation by electrophoresis of restriction endonuclease fragmented virion DNA. Virology89, 53–66 (1978).
- Ferris, R. D., Plowright, W.: Simplified methods for the production of monolayers of testis cells from domestic animals, and for the serial examination of monolayer cultures. J. Path. Bact.75, 313–318 (1958).
- Gangemi, J. D., Sharpe, D. G.: Use of a restriction endonuclease in analysing the genomes from two different strains of vaccinia virus. J. Virol.20, 319–323 (1976).
- Gissman, L., Pfister, H., Zurhausen, H.: Human papilloma virus (HPV): Characterization of four different isolates. Virology76, 569–580 (1977).
- Horgan, E. S., Haseeb, M. A.: The immunological relationships of strains of contagious pustular dermatitis virus. J. comp. Pathol.57, 1–7 (1947).
- Linnemann, C. S., Buchanan, T. G., Light, I. J., Ballard, J. L., Roizman, B.: Transmission of Herpes Simplex virus type 1 in a nursery for the newborn: Identification of viral isolates by DNA fingerprinting. Lanceti, 964–966 (1978).
- Lonsdale, M.: A rapid technique for distinguishing Herpes Simplex type 1 from type 2 by restriction enzyme technology. Lanceti, 848–852 (1979).
- Menna, A., Wittek, R., Backmann, P. A., Mayr, A., Wyler, R.: Physical characterization of a stomatitis papulosa virus genome: A cleavage map for the restriction endonuclease Hind III and EcoR1. Arch. Virol.59, 145–156 (1979).
- Miller, J. H.: Experiments in Molecular Genetics, 331. New York: Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory 1972.
- Muller, H. K., Wittek, R., Schaffner, W., Schumperli, D., Menna, A., Wyler, R.: Comparison of five poxvirus genomes by analysis with restriction endonucleases Hind III, Bam I, and EcoR1. J. gen. Virol.38, 135–147 (1977).
- Murray, K., Murray, N. E.: Phage lambda receptor chromosomes for DNA fragments made with restriction endonuclease III ofHaemophilus influenzae and restriction endonuclease I ofEscherichia coli. J. mol. Biol.98, 551–564 (1975).
- Nagington, J., Horne, R. W.: Morphological studies of orf and vaccinia viruses. Virology16, 248–260 (1962).
- Nagington, J., Newton, A. A., Horne, R. W.: The structure of orf virus. Virology23, 461–472 (1964).
- Precausta, P., Stellman, Ch.: Isolation and comparative study “in vitro” of five strains of contagious ecthyma of sheep. Zbl. Vet. Med.B20, 340–355 (1973).
- Sabine, M., Robertson, G. R., Whalley, J. M.: Differentiation of Sub-Types of Equine Herpes virus I by restriction endonuclease analysis. Aust. vet. J.57, 148–149 (1981).
- Sawhney, A. N.: Studies on the virus of ecthyma contagiosum, III. Multiplicity of virus strains. Izvest. Microbiol. Inst. Sofia18, 179–183 (1966).
- Sawhney, A. N.: Studies on the virus of ecthyma contagiosum, IV. A comparative study of different strains of the virus in the tissue culture. Izvest. Microbiol. Inst. Sofia18, 185–189 (1966).
- Sharp, P. A., Sugden, B., Sambrook, J.: Detection of two restriction endonuclease activities inHaemophilus parainfluenzae using analytic agarose ethidium bromide electrophoresis. Biochemistry12, 3055–3063 (1973).
- Thomas, M., Davis, R. W.: Studies on the cleavage of bacteriophage lambda DNA with EcoR1 restriction endonuclease. J. mol. Biol.91, 315–328 (1975).
- Westwood, J. C. N., Harris, W. J., Zwartouw, H. T., Titmuss, D. M., Appleyard, G. J.: Studies on the structure of vaccinia virus. J. gen. Microbiol.34, 67 to 78 (1964).
- Wittek, R., Kuenzle, C. C., Wyler, R.: High G+C content in parapoxvirus DNA. J. gen. Virol.43, 231–234 (1979).
- Wittek, R., Herlyn, R., Schumperli, D., Bachman, P. A., Mayr, A., Wyler, R.: Genetic and antigenic heterogeneity of different parapoxvirus strains. Intervirology13, 33–41 (1980).
- Younghusband, H. B., Bellett, A. J. D.: Mature form of the deoxyribonucleic acid from chick embryo lethal orphan virus. J. Virol.8, 265–274 (1971).
- The genome of orf virus: Restriction endonuclease analysis of viral DNA isolated from lesions of orf in sheep
Archives of Virology
Volume 71, Issue 1 , pp 43-55
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors