Isolation of a recombinant influenza virus (Hsw1N2) from swine in Japan
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Outbreaks of swine influenza were first observed in Japan in 1978. A number of influenza viruses were isolated from diseased swine. Almost all viruses isolated were swine influenza virus (Hsw1N1) but two viruses isolated from the nasal swabs of swine showing clinical signs of influenza in the Kanagawa prefecture were characterized antigenically as Hsw1N2. Analysis of swine sera showed that influenza virus Hsw1N2 was epidemic in the farm from which the virus had been isolated. The new virus (Hsw1N2) seems to have been produced by recombination between swine influenza virus (Hsw1N1) and Hong Kong influenza virus (H3N2).
- Laver, W. C., Webster, R. C.: Studies on the origin of pandemic influenza. III. Evidence implicating duck and equine influenza viruses as possible progenitors of the Hong Kong strain of human influenza. Virology51, 383–391 (1973).
- Palmer, D. F., Coleman, M. T., Dowdle, W. R., Shild, G. C: Advanced Laboratory Techniques for Influenza Diagnosis. Immunology Series. No. 6. 25–62 and 107–129. Atlanta, Georgia: U.S. Department of Health, Education, and Welfare, Public Health service, Center for Disease Control. 1975.
- Russ, G., Varečková, E., Styk, B.: Steric effects in the reaction of influenza virus neuraminidase with antibodies. Acta virol.18, 299–306 (1974).
- Sugimura, T., Kataoka, T., Kita, E., Nishino, K., Sasahara, J.: An outbreak of influenza in the swine with Hong Kong influenza virus. Virus25, 19–24 (1975).
- Sugimura, T., Ogawa, T., Tanaka, Y., Kumagai, T.: Swine influenza in Japan. Nat. Inst. Anim. Health Quat. (In press.)
- Webster, R. G., Cambell, C. H., Granoff, A.: The“in Vivo” production of “New” influenza virus. III. Isolation of recombinant influenza virus under simulated conditions of natural transmission. Virology51, 149–162 (1973).
- Yamane, N., Arikawa, J., Odagiri, T., Kumasaka, M., Ishida, N.: Distribution of antibodies against swine and Hong Kong influenza viruses among pigs in 1977. Tohoku J. exp. Med.126, 199–200 (1978).
- Isolation of a recombinant influenza virus (Hsw1N2) from swine in Japan
Archives of Virology
Volume 66, Issue 3 , pp 271-274
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors