Wave propagation modeling in human long bones
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
The dynamic behavior of a dry long bone that has been modeled as a piezoelectric hollow cylinder of crystal class 6 is investigated. The solution for the wave propagation problem is expressed in terms of a potential function which satisfies an eighth-order partial differential equation, whose solutions lead to the derivation of the explicit solution of the wave equation. The mechanical boundary conditions correspond to those of stress free lateral surfaces, while the electrical boundary conditions correspond to those of short circuit. The satisfaction of the boundary conditions leads to the dispersion relation which is solved numerically. The frequencies obtained are presented as functions of various parameters and they compare well with other researchers' theoretical results.
- Wilson, L. A., Morrison, J. A.: Wave propagation in piezoelectric rods of hexagonal crystal symmetry. Q. J. Appl. Math.30, 387–395 (1977).
- Mirsky, I.: Wave propagation in transversely isotropic circular cylinders, Part I: Theory. J. Acoust. Soc. Am.37, 1016–1021 (1965).
- Ambardar, A., Ferris, C. D.: Wave propagation in a piezoelectric two-layered cylindrical shell with hexagonal symmetry: Some implications for long bone. J. Acoust. Soc. Am.63, 781–792 (1978).
- Fukada, E., Yasuda, I.: Piezoelectric effects in collagen. Jpn. J. Appl. Phys.3, 117–121 (1964).
- Güzelsu, N., Saha, S.: Electro-mechanical wave propagation in long bones. J. Biomech.14, 19–33 (1981).
- Paul, H. S., Venkatesan, M.: Wave propagation in a piezoelectric human bone of arbitrary cross section with a circular cylindrical cavity. J. Acoust. Soc. Am.89, 196–199 (1991).
- Paul, H. S., Venkatesan, M.: Wave propagation in a piezoelectrical bone with a cylindrical cavity of arbitrary shape. Int. J. Eng. Sci.29, 1601–1607 (1991).
- Ding, H., Chenbuo, L.: General solutions for coupled equations for piezoelectric media. Int. J. Solids Struct.16, 2283–2298 (1996).
- Lang, S. B.: Ultrasonic method for measuring elastic coefficients of bone and results on fresh and dry bovine bones. IEEE Trans. Biomech. Engng.17, 101–105 (1970).
- Reinish, G. B.: Dielectric and piezoelectric properties of bone as function of moisture content. Ph. D. Thesis, Columbia University (1974).
- Charalambopoulos, A., Fotiadis, D. I., Massalas, C. V.: Free vibrations of a double layered elastic isotropic cylindrical rod. Int. J. Eng. Sci.36, 711–731 (1998).
- Wave propagation modeling in human long bones
Volume 137, Issue 1-2 , pp 65-81
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors