The human serotonin transporter gene polymorphism-basic research and clinical implications
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Mood, emotion, and cognition are modulated by the serotonergic midbrain raphe system, which seems to be involved in the pathogenesis of psychiatric disorders like those of the affective spectrum.
Since a dysregulation of serotonin transporter expression might be important in the course of those disorders, we isolated and cloned the 5′-regulatory region of the serotonin transporter gene, which is inducible by cAMP-and PKC-dependend signal transduction pathways.
Systematic screening for length variations and functional promoter analyses revealed a genetic polymorphism with allelic variation in transcriptional activity and protein expression. This 5-HTT gene polymorphism comprises a tandemly repeated sequence in the 5′-regulatory promoter region of the serotonin transporter gene.
Recent population association studies demonstrated the 5-HTT gene promoter polymorphism accounting for 4–5% of population variation of anxiety-related behavioral traits.
- Barker, EL, Blakely, RD Norepinephrine and serotonin transporters: molecular targets of antidepressant drugs. In: Bloom, FE, Kupfer, DJ eds. (1995) Psychopharmcology: the fourth generation of progress. Raven Press, New York, pp. 321-333
- Blakely, RD, Berson, HE, Fremeau, RT, Caron, MC, Peek, MM, Prince, HK, Bradley, CC (1991) Cloning and expression of a functional serotonin transporter rat brain. Nature 354: pp. 66-70
- Blakely, R, Felice, LJ, Hartzell, HC (1994) Molecular physiology of norepinephrine and serotonin transporters. J Exp Biol 196: pp. 263-281
- Bella, D, Catalane, M, Balling, U, Smeraldi, E, Lesch, KP (1995) Systematic screening for mutations in the coding region of the 5-HTT gene using PCR and DGGE. Psychiatr Genet 5: pp. S100
- Ellis, PM, Salmond, C (1994) Imipramine binding in depression: a meta analysis. Biol Psychiatry 36: pp. 292-299
- Faraj, BA, Olkowski, ZL, Jackson, RT (1994) Expression of a high-affinity serotonin transporter in human lymphocytes. Int J Immunopharmacol 16: pp. 561-567
- Heils, A, Teufel, A, Petri, S, Seemann, M, Bengel, D, Balling, U, Riederer, P, Lesch, KP (1995) Functional promoter and polyadenylation site mapping of the human serotonin (5-HT) transporter gene. J Neural Transm 102: pp. 247-254
- Heils, A, Teufel, A, Petri, S, Stöber, G, Riederer, P, Bengel, D, Lesch, KP (1996) Allelic variation of human serotonin transporter gene expression. J Neurochem 66: pp. 2621-2624
- Hoffman, BJ, Mezey, E, Brownstein, M (1991) Cloning of a serotonin transporter affested by antidepressants. Science 254: pp. 579-580
- Jayanthi, LD, Ramamoorthy, S, Mahesh, VB, Leibach, FH, Ganapathy, V (1994) Calmodulin-dependent regulation of the catalytic function of the human serotonin transporter in placental choriocarcinoma cells. J Biol Chem 269: pp. 14424-14429
- Lesch, KP, Balling, U, Gross, J, Strauss, K, Wolozin, BL, Murphy, DL, Riederer, P (1994) Organization of the human serotonin transporter gene. J Neural Transm 95: pp. 157-164
- Lesch, KP, Franzek, E, Gross, J, Wolozin, BL, Riederer, P, Murphy, DL (1995) Primary structure of the serotonin transporter in unipolar depression and bipolar disorder. Biol Psychiatry 37: pp. 215-223
- Lesch, KP, Bengel, D, Heils, A, Sabol, SZ, Greenberg, BD, Petri, S, Benjamin, J, Müller, CR, Hamer, DH, Murphy, DL (1996) Association of anxiety-related traits with a polymorphism in the serotonin transporter gene regulatory region. Science 274: pp. 1527
- Ramamoorthy, S, Cool, DR, Mahesh, VB, Leibach, FH, Melikian, HE, Blakely, RD, Ganapathy, V (1993) Regulation of the human serotonin transporter. J Biol Chem 268: pp. 21626-21631
- Ramamoorthy, S, Ramamoorthy, JD, Prasad, PD, Bhat, GK, Mahesh, VB, Leibach, FH, Ganapathy, V (1995) Regulation of the human serotonin transporter by Interleukin — 1 beta. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 216: pp. 560-567
- The human serotonin transporter gene polymorphism-basic research and clinical implications
Journal of Neural Transmission
Volume 104, Issue 10 , pp 1005-1014
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Serotonin transporter
- gene polymorphism
- allelic association
- Industry Sectors