Reduced games, consistency, and the core
- K. Tadenuma
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
This paper establishes an axiomatization of the core by means of an internal consistency property with respect to a new reduced game introduced by Moulin (1985). Given a payoff vector chosen by a solution for some game, and given a subgroup of agents, we define thereduced game as that in which each coalition in the subgroup could attain payoffs to its members only if they are compatible with the initial payoffs toall the members outside of the subgroup. The solution isconsistent if it selects the same payoff distribution for the reduced game as initially. We show that consistency together with individual rationality characterizes the core of both transferable and non-transferable utility games.
- Davis M, Maschler M (1965) The Kernel of a Cooperative Game. Naval Research Logistics Quarterly 12: 223–259.
- Dutta B (1990) The Egalitarian Solution and Reduced Game Properties in Convex Games. International Journal of Game Theory 19: 153–169.
- Hart S, Mas-Colell A (1989) Potential, Value, and Consistency. Econometrica 57: 589–614.
- Moulin H (1985) The Separability Axiom and Equal Sharing Methods. Journal of Economic Theory 36: 120–148.
- Peleg B (1985) An Axiomatization of the Core of Cooperative Games without Side Payments. Journal of Mathematical Economics 14: 203–214.
- Peleg B (1986) On the Reduced Game Property and its Converse. International Journal of Game Theory 15: 187–200.
- Sobolev AI (1975) The Characterization of Optimality Principles in Cooperative Games by Functional Equations. Mathematical Methods in the Social Sciences 6: 150–165 (in Russian).
- Tadenuma K (1990) Dual Axiomatizations of the Core and the Anti-Core. Hitotsubashi University RUEE Working Paper #90-41, Kunitachi Tokyo, Japan.
- Thomson W (1990) The Consistency Principle. In Ichiishi T, Neyman A, Tauman Y (ed) Game Theory and Applications, Academic Press, San Diego, USA.
- Reduced games, consistency, and the core
International Journal of Game Theory
Volume 20, Issue 4 , pp 325-334
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- K. Tadenuma (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Economics, Hitotsubashi University, 2-1 Naka, Kunitachi, 186, Tokyo, Japan