On completeness of certain families of semi-Riemannian manifolds
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Semi-Riemannian manifolds with a suitable set of conformal symmetries are shown to be complete. Locally warped products are studied and warped-completeness is introduced. In the case of definite and complete basis, several assumptions on the growth of the warping function yield some of the three kinds of completeness. The case of 1-dimensional basis (including a known family of relativistic space-times) is specially studied. Null warped-completeness is related to the completeness of a certain conformal metric on the basis. Several examples and counter-examples explaining the main results are also given.
- Beem, J. K. and Ehrlich, P. E.:Global Lorentzian Geometry. Pure and Applied Math., Marcel Dekker, 1981.
- Carrière, Y. (1989) Author de la conjecture de L. Markus sur les variétés affines. Invent. Math. 95: pp. 615-628
- Furness, P. M. D., Fedida, E. (1986) Sur les structures pseudo-riemannienes plates de variétés compactes. J. Nigerian Math. Soc. 5: pp. 63-78
- Kobayashi, S. and Nomizu, K.:Foundations of Differential Geometry, Vol. I, Wiley Interscience, 1963.
- Lafuente, J. (1988) A geodesic completeness theorem for locally symmetric Lorentz manifolds. Rev. Mat. Univ. Complutense Madrid 1: pp. 101-110
- Marsden, J. (1973) On completeness of homogeneous pseudo-Riemannian manifolds. Indiana Univ. Math. 22: pp. 1065-1066
- O'Neill, N.:Semi-Riemannian Geometry with Applications to Relativity, Academic Press, 1983.
- Romero, A. and Sánchez, M.: On completeness of geodesics obtained as a limit,J. Math. Phys. 34(8), 3768–3774.
- Yurtsever, U. (1992) A simple proof of geodesical completeness for compact space-times of zero curvature. J. Math. Phys. 33: pp. 1295-1300
- On completeness of certain families of semi-Riemannian manifolds
Volume 53, Issue 1 , pp 103-117
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links