Frequency of social contact and intrapair resemblance of adult monozygotic cotwins—Or does shared experience influence personality after all?
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
To establish effects of shared experience on adult personality resemblance, we evaluated intrapair resemblance for short-form Extraversion (E) and Neuroticism (N) scale scores in 2320 pairs of adult monozygotic (MZ) twins who were classified by the frequency of their social interactions with one another. Our analysis parallels MZ cotwin control designs, where environmental differences within pairs provide an incisive measure of idiosyncratic experience, unconfounded by genetic differences; here, experiential differences between MZ pairs yield a sensitive measure of shared experience, again free of genetic confounds. We found that MZ pairs in more frequent interaction were significantly more alike for both personality dimensions. Hierarchical multiple regressions evaluated effects of social contact on intrapair similarity after the influence of both age and gender were removed; results confirmed that social interaction significantly contributes to the prediction of a twin's E or N scores from those of the cotwin. Finally, for both these MZ twins and 4824 agematched DZ (dizygotic) twin pairs, adult resemblance was associated with the age at separation. These data, obtained from a nonselected, population-based cohort of twins, challenge the widespread assumption that experiences shared by siblings make little or no contribution to similarities in their adult personalities.
- Ahern, F. M., Johnson, R. C., Wilson, J. R., McClearn, G. E., and Vandenberg, S. G. (1982). Family resemblance in personality.Behav. Genet. 12:261–280.
- Aitken, P. P. (1985). An observational study of young adults' drinking groups. II. Drink purchasing procedures, group pressures and alcohol consumption by companions as predictors of alcohol consumption.Alcohol Alcohol. 20:445–457.
- Byrne, D. (1971).The Attraction Paradigm, Adademic Press, New York.
- Eaves, L. J., and Eysenck, H. J. (1976). Genotype x age interaction for neuroticism.Behav. Genet. 6:359–362.
- Floderus, B. (1974). Psycho-social factors in relation to coronary heart disease and associated risk factors.Nordisk Hygienisk Tidskrift Suppl. 6.
- Floderus-Myrhed, B., Pederson, N., and Rasmussen, S. (1980). Assessment of heritability for personality based on a short form of the Eysenck Personality Inventory.Behav. Genet. 10:153–162.
- Goldsmith, H. H. (1983). Genetic influences on personality from infancy to adulthood.Child Dev. 54:331–355.
- Heston, L. L. (1966). Psychiatric disorders in foster home reared children of schizophrenic mothers.Br. J. Psychiat. 112:819–825.
- Ho, H.-Z., Foch, T. T., and Plomin, R. (1980). Develomental stability of the relative influence of genes and environment on specific cognitive abilities during childhood.Dev. Psychol. 16:340–346.
- Jardine, R., Martin, N. G., and Henderson, A. S. (1984). Genetic covariation between neuroticism and the symptoms of anxiety and depression.Genet. Epidemiol. 1:89–107.
- Kaprio, J., Sarna, S., Koskenvuo, M., and Rantasalo, I. (1978). Finnish twin registry: Formation and compilation, questionnaire study, zygosity determination procedures and research program.Prog. Clin. Biol. Res. 24B:179–184.
- Kaprio, J., Koskenvuo, M., Langinvainio, H., Romanov, K., Sarna, S., and Rose, R. J. (1987). Genetic influences on use and abuse of alcohol: A study of 5,638 adult Finnish twin brothers.Alchol. Clin. Exp. Res. 11:349–356.
- Kaprio, J., Koskenvuo, M., Langinvainio, H., Sarna, S., Romanov, K., and Rose, R. J. (1986). Assortative mating in a Finnish twin-family study.Acta Genet. Med. Gemellol. 35:62 (abtr.).
- Loehlin, J. C., and Nichols, R. C. (1976).Heredity, Environment, and Personality, University of Texas Press, Austin.
- Loehlin, J. C., Horn, J. M., and Willerman, L. (1981). Personality resemblance in adoptive families.Behav. Genet. 11:309–330.
- Loehlin, J. C., Willerman, L., and Horn, J. M. (1985). Personality resemblance in adoptive families when the children are late adolescents and adults.J. Personal. Soc. Psychol. 48:376–392.
- Medlund, P., Cederlöf, R., Floderus-Myrhed, B., Friberg, L., and Sörensen, S. (1977). A new Swedish twin registry.Acta Med. Scand. Suppl. 600.
- Plomin, R., Loehlin, J. C., and DeFries, J. C. (1985). Genetic and environmental components of “environmental” influences.Dev. Psychol. 21:391–402.
- Rose, R. J., and Ditto, W. B. (1983). A developmental-genetic analysis of common fears from early adolescence to early adulthood.Child Dev. 54:361–368.
- Rose, R. J., and Kaprio, J. (1987). Shared experience and similarity of personality: Positive data from Finnish and American twins. Commentary on R. Plomin and D. Daniels, “Why are children in the same family so different from one another?”Behav. Brain Sci. 10:35–36.
- Rose, R. J., Koskenvuo, M., Kaprio, J., Langinvainio, H., and Sarna, S. (1988). Shared genes, shared experience, and similarity of adult personality.J. Personal. Soc. Psychol. 54:161–171.
- Sarna, S., Kaprio, J., Sistonen, P., and Koskenvuo, M. (1978). Diagnosis of twin zygosity by mailed questionnaire.Hum. Hered. 28:241–254.
- Scarr, S., and Grajek, S. (1982). Similarities and differences among siblings. In Lamb, M. E., and Sutton-Smith, B. (eds.),Sibling Relationships: Their Nature and Significance Across the Lifespan, Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, Hillsdale, N.J. pp. 357–381.
- Scarr, S., Webber, P. I., Weinberg, R. A., and Wittig, M. A. (1981). Personality resemblance among adolescents and their parents in biologically related and adoptive families.J. Personal. Soc. Psychol. 40:885–898.
- Tambs, K., Sundet, J. M., and Berg, K. (1985). Cotwin closeness in monozygotic and dizygotic twins: A biasing factor in IQ heritability analysis?Acta Genet. Med. Gemellol. 34:33–39.
- Tarkkonen, L., Koskenvuo, M., Kaprio, J., Langinvanio, H., and Floderus-Myrhed, B. (1981).Crossvalidation of the Eysenck Extraversion and Neuroticism Scales in Finland and Sweden, Kansanterveystieteen julkaisuja M 62, Helsinki.
- Wachs, T. D. (1983). The use and abuse of environment in behavior-genetic research.Child Dev. 54:396–407.
- Frequency of social contact and intrapair resemblance of adult monozygotic cotwins—Or does shared experience influence personality after all?
Volume 18, Issue 3 , pp 309-328
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- monozygotic (MZ) twins
- intrapair resemblance