Equol and other compounds from bovine urine as monoamine oxidase inhibitors
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Equol, its methylated derivative, and a carbazole, all isolated from bovine urine, are relatively potent inhibitors of monoamine oxidase with IC50 values of 158, 28, and 16μM respectively (using 83μM tyramine as substrate). The probable dietary origin of these compounds suggests that “natural” monoamine oxidase inhibitors may be more widespread than had previously been suspected.
- Axelson, M., Sjövall, J., Gustafsson, B. E., Setchell, K. D. R.: Soya — a dietary source of the non-steroidal oestrogen equol in man and animals. J. Endocr.102, 49–56 (1984).
- Clow, A., Glover, V., Armando, I., Sandler, M.: New endogenous benzodiazepine receptor ligand in human urine: identity with endogenous monoamine oxidase inhibitor? Life Sci.33, 735–741 (1983).
- Glover, V., Liebowitz, J., Armando, I., Sandler, M.:β-carbolines as selective monoamine oxidase inhibitors:in vivo implications. J. Neural Transm.54, 209–218 (1982).
- Luk, K.-C., Stern, L., Weigele, M., O'Brien, R. A., Spirt, N.: Isolation and identification of “diazepam-like” compounds from bovine urine. J. Natural Products46, 852–861 (1983).
- Shutt, D. A.: The effects of plant oestrogens on animal reproduction. Endeavour35, 110–113 (1976).
- Shutt, D. A., Braden, A. W. H.: The significance of equol in relation to the oestrogenic responses in sheep ingesting clover with a high formononetin content. Austral. J. Agric. Res.19, 545–553 (1968).
- Suzuki, O., Katsumata, Y., Oya, M., Chari, V. M., Vermes, B., Wagner, H., Hostettmann, K.: Inhibition of type A and type B monoamine oxidases by naturally occurring xanthones. Planta Med.42, 17–21 (1981).
- Truitt, E. B. jr., Duritz, G., Ebersberger, M.: Evidence of monoamine oxidase inhibition by myristicin and nutmeg. Proc. Soc. Exp. Biol. Med.112, 647–650 (1963).
- Equol and other compounds from bovine urine as monoamine oxidase inhibitors
Journal of Neural Transmission
Volume 65, Issue 2 , pp 147-150
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- monoamine oxidase inhibition
- benzodiazepine receptor binding inhibition
- bovine urine
- dietary isoflavans
- Industry Sectors