Study of a distributed control architecture for a quadruped robot
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Looking at legged robots, it is sometimes very important to take into account some of the practical aspects (when focusing on theoretical ones) in order to implement control-command levels.
In this way, we have treated the problem of the realization of dynamic or quasi-dynamic gaits with a quadruped robot using a new approach from which we have derived an efficient control/command scheme. This is based on a simple consideration which lies in the fact that the Dynamic Model (DM) can be decomposed into two main parts. From our point of view, we consider a part devoted to the command of the legs which could be called a Leg Inverse Dynamic Model (LIDM). We consider a second part dealing with the global characteristics of the platform. At this level, one can control the system. It will be called the LPIM (Leg to Platform Interaction Model).
This goal is reached assuming a dichotomy in a distributed architecture and by the way we present it. Further justification of our method will be given in several stages throughout the paper. We paid great attention to time-saving considerations with respect to communication protocols and data exchange at the same level and between the three levels we derived from our basic investigations.
- Adachi, H., Koyachi, N. and Nakano, E.: Mechanism and control of a quadruped walking robot,IEEE Control Systems Magazine (Oct. 1988), 14–19.
- Alexander, R. McN. and Jayes, A.S.: Vertical movements in walking and running,J. Zoology (London) 185 (1978), 27–40.
- Alexander, R. McN.: Optimum walking techniques for quadrupeds and bipeds,J. Zoology (London) 192 (1980), 97–117.
- Alexander, R. McN. and Jayes, A.S.: A dynamic similarity hypothesis for the gaits of quadrupedal mammals,J. Zoology (London) 201 (1983), 135–152.
- Balafoutis, C.A., Misra, P., and Patel, R.V.: A cartesian tensor approach for fast computation of manipulator dynamics,Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation 1988, pp. 1348–1353.
- Cheng, F.T. and Orin, D.E.: Efficient formulation of the force distribution equation for simple closed-chain robotic mechanisms,IEEE Trans. Systems Man Cybernet. 21(1) (1991), 25–32.
- Choi, B.S. and Song, S.M.: Fully automated obstacle crossing gaits for walking machines,Proc. of the 1988 IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation, Vol. 2, April 24–29, 1988, pp. 802–807.
- Denavit, J. and Hartenberg, R.S.: A kinematic notation for lower pair mechanism based on matrices,Trans. ASME, J. Appl. Mech., Vol. 22, 1955, pp. 215–221.
- Fontaine, J.G.:Commande directe assistée: Principe et application au contrôle d'actionneurs électriques et pneumatiques pour la robotique, Thèse de Doctorat de l'Université d'Orsay (Paris 11), Paris, 1987.
- Franck, A.A. and Ghee, R.B.: Some consideration relating to the design of autopilots for legged vehicules,J. Terramechanics 6(1) (1969), 23–35.
- Freeman, P.S. and Orin, D.E.: Efficient dynamic sumulation of a quadruped using a decoupled tree-structure approach,The Int. J. of Robotics Research 10(6) (1991), 619–627.
- El Gamah, H., Amaral, P.F.S., Fontaine, J.G., Villard, C. and Gorce, P.: A low supervisor for a legged robot,Proc. of the 23rd Int. Symp. on Industrial Robots, ISIR'92, Barcelona, Spain, 1992.
- McGeer, T.: Passive dynamic walking,Internat. J. Robotics Res. 9(2) (1990), 62–82.
- McGhee, R.B. and Pai, A.L.: An approach to computer control for legged vehicules,J. Terramechanics 11.
- Glower, J.S. and Ozguner, U.: Control of a quadruped trot,Proc. of the 1986 IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation, Vol. 3, April 7–10, pp. 1496–1501.
- Gorce, P., Villard, C. and Fontaine, J.G.: Grasping, coordination and optimal force distribution in multifingered mechanism,Robotica, 1993 (in press).
- Gorinevsky, D.M. and Shneider, Yu.A.: Force control in locomotion of legged vehicles over rigid and soft surfaces,Internat. J. Robotics Res. 9(2) (1990), 4–23.
- Hamdam, S., Fontaine, J.G. and Picard, M.: Autonomous legged Robots: Technics for gait transitions,Symp. on Flexible Automation, Kyoto, Japan, 1990, pp. 125–128.
- Hashimoto, K. and Kimura, H.: A new parallel algorithm for inverse dynamics,Internat. J. Robotics Res. 8(1) (1989), 63–76.
- Hashimoto, K., Ohashi, K. and Kimura, H.: An implementation of a parallel algorithm for real-time model-based control on a network of microprocessors,Internat. J. Robotics Res. 9(6) (1990), 7–47.
- He, X. and Goldenberg, A.A.: An algorithm for effcient computation of dynamics of robotic manipulators,J. Robotic Systems 7(5) (1990), 689–702.
- Hirose, S.: A study of design and control of a quadruped walking vehicle,Internat. J. Robotics Res. 3(2) (1984), 113–133.
- Hirose, S. and Kunieda, O.: Generalized standard foot trajectory for a quadruped walking vehicle,Internat. J. Robotics Res. 10(1) (1991), 3–11.
- Hollerbach, J.M.: An itérative lagrangian formulation of manipulators dynamics and a comparative study of dynamics formulation complexity,IEEE Trans. Systems Man Cybernet. SMC-10(11) (1980), 730–736.
- Kane, J.R. and Levinson, D.A.: The use Kane's dynamical equations in Robotic,Internat. J. Robotics Res. 2(3) (1983), 3–21.
- Kasahara, H. and Narita, S.: Parallel processing of robot-arm control computation on a multimicroprocessor,IEEE J. Robotics and Automation Ra-1(2) (1985), 104–113.
- Khatib, O.: The operational space formulation in robot manipulator control,Proc. of the 15th Int. Symp. on Industrial Robots, 1985, pp. 165–172.
- Kimura, H., Shimoyama, I. and Miura, H.: Dynamics in the dynamic walk of a quadruped robot,Advanced Robotics 4(3) (1990), 283–301.
- Klein, C.A. and Briggs, R.L.: Use of active compliance in the control of legged vehicles,IEEE Trans. Systems Man Cybernet. SMC-10(7) (1980), 393–400.
- Klein, C.A., Olson, K.W. and Pugh, D.R.: Use of force and attitude sensors for locomotion of a legged vehicle over irregular terrain,Internat. J. Robotics Res. 2(2) (1983), 3–17.
- Klein, C.A. and Kittivatcharapong, S.: Optimal force distribution for the legs of a walking machine with friction cone constraints,IEEE Trans. on Robotics and Automation 6(1) (1990), 73–85.
- Koditschek, D.E. and Bühler, M.: Analysis of a simplified hopping robot,Internat. J. Robotics Res. 10(6) (1991), 587–605.
- Kosuge, K., Koga, N., Furuta, K. and Nosaki, K.: Coordinated motion control of robot arm based on virtual internal model,Proc. 1989 IEEE Internat. Conf. on Robotics and Automation, 1989, pp. 1097–1102.
- Lee, T.T. and Shih, C.L.: Real time computer control of a quadruped walking robot,Trans. ASME, J. Dynamic Systems, Measurement, and Control 108 (1986), 346–353.
- Lee, T.T. and Shih, C.L.: A study of a gait control of a quadruped walking vehicle,IEEE J. of Robotics and Automation RA-2(2) (1986), 61–69.
- Li, Z., Hsu, P. and Sastry, S.: Grasping and coordinated manipulation by a multifingered Robot Hand,Internat. J. Robotics Res. 8(8) (August. 1989), 33–50.
- Lilly, K.W. and Orin, D.E.: Efficient dynamic simulation for multiple chain robotic systems,3rd Annual Conf. on Aerospace Computational Control 1989, 73–87.
- Luh, J.Y.S., Walker, M.W. and Paul, R.C.P.: On-line computational scheme for mechanical manipulators,Trans. ASME, J. Dynamic Systems, Measurement, and Control 102(2) (1980), 69–76.
- Luh, J.Y.S. and Lin, C.S.: Scheduling of parallel computation for computer controlled mechanical manipulators,IEEE Trans. Systems Man Cybernet. SMC-12(2) (1982), 214–234.
- Miura, H. and Shimoyama, I.: Dynamic Walk of a Biped,Internat. J. Robotics Res. 3 (1984), 60–74.
- Mladenova, C.: Mathematical modelling and control of manipulator systems,Robotics and Computer Integrated Manufacturing 18(4) (1991), 233–242.
- Mosher, R.S.: Exploring the potential of quadruped,Int. Automotive Engineering Conf., SAE paper No 690191, Detroit, Michigan, 1969.
- Nakamura, Y., Nagai, K. and Yoshikawa, T.: Dynamics and stability in coordination of multiple robotic mechanisms,Internat. J. Robotics Res. 8(2) (1989), 44–61.
- Neuman, C.P. and Murray, J.: Computational robot dynamics: fondations and applications,J. Robotics Systems 2(4) (1985), 425–452.
- Orin, D.E.: Supervisor control of multi-legged robot,Internat. J. Robotics Res. 1(1) (1982), 71–91.
- Ouezdou, F.B., Pasqui, V., Bidaud, P. and Guinot, J.C.: Kinematic and dynamic analysis of legged robots,10th CISM-IFTOMN Symp. on Theory and Practice of Robots and Manipulators, RoManSy'90, Crasow, Poland, 1990.
- Raibert, M.H.: Hopping in legged systems modeling and simulation for the 2D oneslegged case,IEEE Trans. Systems Man Cybernet. 14(3) (1984), 451–463.
- Raibert, M.H., Chepponis, M. and Brown Jr., H.B.: Running on four legged as though they were one,IEEE J. of Robotics and Automation RA-2(2) (1986), 70–82.
- Shih, L., Franck, A.A. and Ravani, B.: Dynamic simulation of legged machines using a compliant joint model,Internat. J. Robotics Res. 6(4) (1987), 33–46.
- Silver, W.M.: On the equivalence of lagrangian and Newton-Euler dynamics for manipulators,Internat. J. Robotics Res. 1(2) (1982), 60–70.
- Sutherland, I.E.: A walking robot,Pittsburg PA:the Marcian Chronicles, 1983.
- Vakakis, A.F., Burdick, J.W. and Caughey, T.K.: An ‘interesting’ strange attractor in the dynamics of a hopping robot,Internat. J. Robotics Res. 10(6) (1991), 606–618.
- Wong, H.C. and Orin, D.E.: Reflex control of the prototype leg during contact and slippage,IEEE Internat. Conf. on Robotics and Automation 1988, pp. 808–813.
- Yoshikawa, T.: Dynamic hybrid position/force control of robot manipulators description of hard constraints and calculation of joint driving force,IEEE Internat. Conf. on Robotics and Automation, 1986, pp. 1393–1399.
- Zheng, Y.F. and Shen, J.: Gait synthesis for the SD-2 Biped Robot to climb sloping surface,IEEE Trans on Robotics and Automation 6(1) (February 1990), 86–96.
- Zomaya, A.Y. and Morris, A.S.: Dynamic simulation and modeling of robot manipulators using parallel architectures,Internat. J. Robotics Res. 6(3) (1991), 129–139.
- Study of a distributed control architecture for a quadruped robot
Journal of Intelligent and Robotic Systems
Volume 11, Issue 3 , pp 269-291
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Quadruped robot
- hierarchical control/command architecture
- dynamic model
- realime computation
- Industry Sectors