Fine structure of an unusual cytoplasmic inclusion in the diatom genus,Rhopalodia
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Ellipsoidal to ovoid inclusions in the diatomsRhopalodia gibba andR. gibberula were examined in the electron microscope.
The inclusions are 4 to 6 microns wide, 5 to 7 microns long and separated from the diatom cytoplasm by a five-layered wall.
Lamellae about 16 mμ wide and 25 mμ apart occur near the periphery, with oil droplets and aggregations of 18 to 22 mμ particles occurring between them.
They are neither pyrenoids nor oil bodies.
They may be unique cell organelles whose function is unknown or possibly modified coccoid blue-green algae.
The cytoplasm of the two species ofRhopalodia resembles that of other diatoms.
- Bowen, C. C., 1956: Freezing by liquid carbon dioxide in making slides permanent. Stain Tech.31, 87–90.
- Desikachary, T. V., 1959: Cyanophyta, Ind. Coun. Agri. Res., New Delhi.
- Drum, R. W., 1963: Cytoplasmic fine structure of the diatom,Nitzschia palea. J. Cell Biol.18, 429–440.
- —, and H. S. Pankratz, 1964: Pyrenoids, raphes and other fine structure in diatoms. Amer. J. Bot.51, 405–418.
- Fogg, G. E., 1953: The metabolism of algae. John Wiley & Sons, Inc., New York.
- Fritsch, F. E., 1945: The structure and reproduction of the algae II. Macmillan Co., New York.
- Gibbs, S. P., 1962: The ultrastructure of the chloroplasts of algae. J. Ultrastructure Res.7, 418–435.
- Hall, W., and G. Claus, 1963: Ultrastructural studies on the blue-green algal symbiont inCyanophora paradoxa. J. Cell Biol.,19, 551–563.
- Heinzerling, H., 1908: Der Bau der Diatomeenzelle. Biblioth. Bot.69, 1–95.
- Klebahn, H., 1896: Beiträge zur Kenntnis der Auxosporenbildung. I.Rhopalodia gibba. J. wiss. Bot.29, 595–654.
- Luft, J. H., 1961: Improvements in epoxy resin embedding methods. J. Biophys. Biochem. Cytol.9, 409–414.
- Pankratz, H. S., and C. C. Bowen, 1963: Cytology of the blue-green algae. I. The cells ofSymploca muscorum. Amer. J. Bot.50, 387–399.
- Ris, H., and R. N. Singh, 1961: Electron microscope studies on blue-green algae. J. Biophys. Biochem. Cytol.9, 63–80.
- Sabatini, D. D., K. Bensch, and R. J. Barnett, 1963: Cytochemistry and electron microscopy. J. Cell Biol.17, 19–58.
- Fine structure of an unusual cytoplasmic inclusion in the diatom genus,Rhopalodia
Volume 60, Issue 1 , pp 141-149
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors