Plaque assay of variola virus in a cynomolgus monkey kidney cell line
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Variola virus produced plaques in a cynomolgus monkey kidney cell line, JINET, under agar overlay medium. The plaque morphology of variola virus in these cells was clearly distinct from that of other members of the variola-vaccinia subgroup of poxvirus and the plaque morphology marker of variola virus may be used for the identification of variola virus. The plaque number of variola virus was enhanced by the addition of DEAE-dextran and MgCl2 to agar overlay medium at concentrations of 100 to 200 Μg/ml and 15 to 45 mm, respectively. The sensitivity of the plaque method in the presence of 100 Μg/ml of DEAE-dextran and 25 mm MgCl2 in the overlay medium was equal to that of the usual CAM method.
- Baltazard, M., A. Boué etH. Siadat: étude du comportement du virus de la variole en culture de tissus. Ann. Inst. Pasteur94, 560–570 (1958).
- Hahon, N.: Cytopathology and propagation of variola virus in tissue culture. J. Immunol.81, 426–432 (1958).
- Vieuchange, J., G. de Brion etJ. Gruest: Virus variolique en cultures de cellules. Ann. Inst. Pasteur95, 681–693 (1958).
- Pirsch, J. B., andE. H. Purlson: A tissue culture assay for variola virus based upon the enumeration of hyperplastic foci. J. Immunol.89, 632–637 (1962).
- Kitamura, T.: Studies on the formation of hyperplastic focus by variola virus in human cell cultures. I.In vitro quantitation of variola virus by focus counting in HeLa and FL cells. Virology36, 174–179 (1968).
- Netter, R., etA. Piat: Essais de culture de quatre souches de virus varioliques sur cellules RK 13 et BHK 21. Ann. Inst. Pasteur116, 820–826 (1969).
- Tsuchiya, Y., R. Takayama, andI. Tagaya: Establishment of a cynomolgus monkey kidney cell line and its susceptibility to various viruses. Jap. J. med. Sci. Biol.22, 105–115 (1969).
- Tanabe, I.: Studies on isolation of variola virus in a continuous monkey kidney-cell culture, and some properties of the isolated virus. Jap. J. infect. Dis.42, 221–226 (1968) (text in Japanese).
- Gispen, R., J. D. Verlinde, and.P. Zwart: Histopathological and virological studies on monkeypox. Arch. ges. Virusforsch.21, 205–216 (1967).
- Marennikova, S. S., E. B.Gurvich, and E. M.Shelukhina: Results of investigations on monkeypox virus. Presented in an informal discussion on monkeypox virus studies held by WHO, Moscow. March, 1969.
- Cooper, P. D.: The plaque assay of animal viruses. Advanc. Virus Res.8, 319–378 (1962).
- von Magnus, P., E. K. Andersen, K. B. Petersen, andA. Birch-Andersen: A pox-like disease in cynomolgus monkeys. Acta path. microbiol. scand.46, 156–176 (1959).
- Ono, K., andS. Kato: Lack of cell proliferation in the foci of variola virus-infected FL cells. Biken J.11, 333–341 (1968).
- Kim, K. S., andD. G. Sharp: The influence of DEAE-dextran on plain and synergistic plaque formation by two poxviruses. J. gen. Virol.4, 505–512 (1969).
- Plaque assay of variola virus in a cynomolgus monkey kidney cell line
Archiv für die gesamte Virusforschung
Volume 32, Issue 1 , pp 73-81
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors