On the structure of filamentous forms of influenza virus
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Conclusions and Summary
The observation of two filamentous strains of influenza A viruses shows that filaments present a surface structure identical to that of spheres, as already observed byChoppin et al. (3). This outer shell is comprised of dumb-bell shaped subunits (80 Å from axis to axis). The diameter of each small grain of the dumb-bell is about 30 A and they are about 25 Å apart. As is clearly seen in the sections, these subunits are supported by a continuous membrane, as already suggested byMorgan et al. (1) and byHoyle et al. (8).
In the cross section of the filaments, an internal material is also revealed; this seems to be unevenly distributed along the filament and appears to be constituted of ordered little grains, 50 Å in diameter. This material is dissimilar to that observed in the spheres, in which it has the appearance of very thin threads, about 25 Å thick. The frequent presence of septa (in about 25% of filaments) can be clearly seen. Sometimes, instead of septa, a regular succession of constrictions is observed, which is in keeping with the hypothesis that some of the spheres are formed from the filaments by a process of segmentation.
- Morgan, C., H. M. Rose, D. H. Moore: J. Exp. Med.104, 171 (1956).
- Horne, R. W., A. P. Waterson, P. Wildy, A. E. Farnham: Virology11, 79 (1960).
- Choppin, P. W., T. S. Murphy, W. Stoeckenius: Virology13, 548 (1961).
- Archetti, I., D. Steve Bocciarelli, G. Toschi, andA. Violante: III° Congresso Italiano di Microscopia Elettronica: Milano 3–4 Milan 1961, in press.
- Burnet, F. M., P. E. Lind: Archiv f. Virusforschung7, 413 (1957).
- Brenner, S., R. W. Horne: Biochem. et Biophys. Acta34, 103 (1959).
- Archetti, I.: Archiv f. Virusforschung6, 29 (1955).
- Hoyle, L., R. W. Horne, A. P. Waterson: Virology13, 448 (1961).
- On the structure of filamentous forms of influenza virus
Archiv für die gesamte Virusforschung
Volume 11, Issue 4 , pp 599-606
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors