Cellulase-free xylanase production from an alkalophilicBacillus species
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
An alkalophilicBacillus (NCL-87-6-10, NCIM 2128), with a high productivity for extracellular xylanase (EC 18.104.22.168) and free of cellulase, was isolated from soil containing coconut fibre detritus. When grown on a wheat bran/yeast extract medium in submerged culture for 48 h, it produced 100 to 120 IU of enzyme activity per ml. The crude enzyme consists of two fractions of apparent mol sizes of approx 10.4 and 29 kDa in the proportion of 90:10, as determined by native gel exclusion chromatography. Optimum activity of the xylanase was at 60°C and pH 8.0. A two-fold increase in enzyme activity was obtained when reducing agents, thioethanol and dithiothreitol, were included in the assay.
- Andrews, P. 1965 The gel filtration behaviour of proteins related to their molecular weights over a wide range.Biochemical Journal 96, 595–606.
- Bastawde, K.B., Tabatabai, L.B., Meagher, M.M., Srinivasan, M.C., Vartak, H.G., Rele, M.V. & Reilly, P.J. 1990 Catalytic properties and partial amino acid sequence of an actinomycete endo-(1-4)-β-d-xylanase fromChainia species. InAmerican Chemical Society Symposium Series, Vol. 460, eds Leatham, G.F. & Himmel, E.M., pp. 418–425. Washington DC: American Chemical Society.
- Berghem, E.R. & Petterson, L.G. 1973 The mechanism of enzymatic cellulose degradation.European Journal of Biochemistry 37, 21–30.
- Bernfeld, P. 1955 Amylases; α and β.Methods in Enzymology 1, 149–158.
- Clarke, A.J. & Yaguchi, M. 1985. The role of carboxyl groups in the function of endo-β-1,4-glucanase fromSchizophyllum commune.European Journal of Biochemistry 149, 233–238.
- Collmer, A., Riad, J.L. & Mount, M.S. 1988 Assay methods for pectic enzymes.Methods in Enzymology 161, 333–335.
- Davis, B.J. 1964 Disc electrophoresis-II: Method and Application to human serum proteins.Annals of New York Academy of Sciences 121, 404–427.
- Eriksson, K.E. & Petterson, G. 1968 Studies on cellulolytic enzymes. Some structural properties of the cellulase fromPenicillium notatum.Archives of Biochemistry and Biophysics 124, 160–166.
- Grabski, A.C. & Jeffries, T.W. 1991 Production, purification and characterization of β-(1-4)-endoxylanase ofStreptomyces roseiscleroticus.Applied and Environmental Microbiology 57, 987–992.
- Keskar, S.S., Srinivasan, M.C. & Deshpande, V.V. 1989 Chemical Modification of a xylanase from a thermotolerantStreptomyces.Biochemical Journal 261, 49–55.
- Kitada, M., Wijayanti, L. & Horikoshi, K. 1987 Biochemical properties of a thermophilic alkalophile.Agricultural and Biological Chemistry 51, 2429–2435.
- Kruss, I. & Koljonen, M. 1991 Enzymatic bleaching of pulp.International Patent Application. No. W091/02791 1-24.
- Kruss, I., Laine, J. & Koljonen, M. 1991 Improvement of oxygen bleaching of pulp.International Patent Application No. WO91/02840, 1–19.
- Marshall, O.R. & Kooi, E.R. 1957 Enzymatic conversion ofd-glucose tod-fructose.Science 124, 648–649.
- Roberts, J.C., McCarthy, A.J., Flynn, N.J. & Broda, P. 1990 Modification of paper properties by the pretreatment of pulp withSaccharomonospora viridis xylanase.Enzyme and Microbial Technology 12, 210–213.
- Slein, M.W. 1955 Xylose isomerase fromPasteurella pestis strain A-1122.Journal of American Chemical Society 77, 1663–1667.
- Srinivasan, M.C., Rele, M.V., Balakrishnan, H. & Dutta-Choudhry, M. 1988 A process for the preparation of an extracellular cellulase-free xylanase from an alkalophilicBacillus. Indian Patent Application. No. 984/DEL/88.
- Srinivasan, M.C., Vartak, H.G., Powar, V.K., Rele, M.V. & Bastawde, K.B. 1984 Studies on xylan degrading enzymes fromChainia.Biotechnology Letters 16, 715–718.
- Srinivasan, M.C., Vartak, H.G., Rele, M.V. & Bastawde, K.B. 1986 A process for the preparation of low molecular weight xylanase fromChainia strain.Indian Patent Application No. 1092/DEL/86.
- Takasaki, Y. & Tanabe, O. 1966 Studies on isomerization of sugar by bacteria.Agricultural and Biological Chemistry 30, 220–225.
- Viikari, L., Kantelinen, A., Ratto, M. & Sundquist, J. 1990 Enzymes in pulp and paper processing. InAmerican Chemical Society Symposium Series, Vol. 460, eds. Leatham, G.F. & Himmel, E.M. pp. 12–21. Washington DC: American Chemical Society.
- Wilson, D.B. 1992 Biochemistry and genetics of actinomycete cellulases.Critical Reviews in Biotechnology 12, 45–63.
- Zamost, B.L., Nielsen, H.K. & Starnes, R.L. 1991 Thermostable enzymes for industrial applications.Journal of Industrial Microbiology 8, 71–82.
- Cellulase-free xylanase production from an alkalophilicBacillus species
World Journal of Microbiology and Biotechnology
Volume 8, Issue 6 , pp 627-631
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- cellulase-free xylanase
- Industry Sectors