The yield behaviour of amorphous polyethylene terephthalate: An activated rate theory approach
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Yield-stress measurements on amorphous polyethylene terephthalate film are presented covering five decades of strain rate at temperatures from just below the glass transition (≈ 60° C) to −160° C. The data were obtained by combining measurements from a conventional Instron machine with data from a high-speed tensile tester capable of applying strain rates of up to 50 sec−1. Five different failure modes have been identified over this extensive range of test conditions. All data from tests which show a clear yield point can be described accurately by an extension of the Ree Eyring approach to include two processes. The process which is only important at low temperatures correlates well with theβ-process observed in dynamic mechanical experiments.
- Y. S. Lazurkin,J. Polym. Sci. 30 (1958) 595.
- R. E. Robertson,J. Appl. Polym. Sci. 7 (1963) 443.
- J. A. Roetling,Polymer 6 (1965) 311.
- C. Bauwens-Crowet, J. A. Bauwens andG. Homes,J. Polym. Sci. A2 7 (1969) 735.
- R. N. Haward andG. Thackray,Proc. Roy. Soc. A 302 (1968) 453.
- G. Halsey, H. J. White andH. Eyring,Test Res. J. 15 (1945) 295.
- R. W. Truss, P. L. Clarke, R. A. Duckett andI. M. Ward,J. Polym. Sci. Polym. Phys. Edn. 22 (1984) 191.
- J. S. Foot, PhD thesis, Bristol University (1972).
- L. E. Amorski andT. D. Mecca,J. Appl. Polym. Sci. 4 (1960) 332.
- J. M. Stearne andI. M. Ward,J. Mater. Sci. 4 (1969) 1088.
- P. I. Vincent, “Encylopedia of Polymer Science and Technology”, Vol. 7 (Wiley, New York, 1967) p. 292.
- J. S. Foot andI. M. Ward,J. Mater. Sci. 7 (1972) 367.
- A. B. Thompson andD. W. Woods,Trans. Faraday Soc. 52 (1956) 1383.
- R. A. Duckett, PhD thesis, Bristol University (1968).
- S. W. Allison andI. M. Ward,Brit. J. Appl. Phys. 18 (1967) 1151.
- K. H. Illers andH. Breuer,J. Colloid Sci. 18 (1963) 1.
- The yield behaviour of amorphous polyethylene terephthalate: An activated rate theory approach
Journal of Materials Science
Volume 22, Issue 4 , pp 1437-1442
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors