Strange attractors in higher dimensions
- Marcelo Viana
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
We consider generic one-parameter families of diffeomorphisms on a manifold of arbitrary dimension, unfolding a homoclinic tangency associated to a sectionally dissipative saddle point (the product of any pair of eigenvalues has norm less than 1). We prove that such families exhibit strange attractors in a persistent way: for a positive Lebesgue measure set of parameter values. In the two-dimensional case this had been obtained in a joint work with L. Mora, based on and extending the results of Benedicks-Carleson on the quadratic family in the plane.
- [BC1] M. Benedicks, L. Carleson,On iterations of 1 −ax 2 on (−1,1), Ann. Math. 122 (1985), 1–25.
- [BC2] M. Benedicks, L. Carleson,The dynamics of the Hénon map, Ann. Math. 133 (1991), 73–169.
- [BY] M. Benedicks, L.-S. Young,SBR-measures for certain Hénon maps, preprint, 1992.
- [CE] P. Collet, J. P. Eckmann,On the abundance of aperiodic behaviour for maps on the interval, Comm. Math. Phys. 73 (1980), 115–160.
- [HP] M. Hirsch, C. Pugh,Stable manifolds and hyperbolic sets, Global Analysis, Proc. Symp. in Pure Math., vol. XIV, Amer. Math. Soc. (1970), 133–163.
- [Ja] M. Jakobson,Absolutely continuous invariant measures for one-parameter families of one-dimensional maps, Comm. Math. Phys. 81 (1981), 39–88.
- [MV] L. Mora, M. Viana,Abundance of strange attractors, to appear in Acta Math.
- [Ne] S. Newhouse,The abundance of wild hyperbolic sets and nonsmooth stable sets for diffeomorphisms, Publ. Math. I.H.E.S. 50 (1979), 101–151.
- [PT] J. Palis, F. Takens,Hyperbolicity and Sensitive-Chaotic Dynamics at Homoclinic Bifurcations, Cambridge Univ. Press, 1992.
- [Re] M. Rees,Positive measure sets of ergodic rational maps, Ann. Éc. Norm. Sup. 19 (1986), 383–407.
- [TY] L. Tedeschini-Lalli, J.A. Yorke,How often do simple dynamical processes have infinitely many coexisting sinks?, Comm. Math. Phys. 106 (1986), 635–657.
- [YA] J. A. Yorke, K. T. Alligood,Cascades of period doubling bifurcations: a prerequisite for horseshoes, Bull. A.M.S. 9 (1983), 319–322.
- Strange attractors in higher dimensions
Boletim da Sociedade Brasileira de Matemática - Bulletin/Brazilian Mathematical Society
Volume 24, Issue 1 , pp 13-62
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Marcelo Viana (1) (2)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Departamento de Matemática, Universidade do Porto, 4000, Porto, Portugal
- 2. Instituto de Matemática Pura e Aplicada, IMPA, Estrada Dona Castorina, 110, 22460-320, Rio de Janeiro, Brasil