Noncommutative graded domains with quadratic growth
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Letk be an algebraically closed field, and letR be a finitely generated, connected gradedk-algebra, which is a domain of Gelfand-Kirillov dimension two. Write the graded quotient ringQ(R) ofR asD[z,z−1; δ], for some automorphism δ of the division ringD. We prove thatD is a finitely generated field extension ofk of transcendence degree one. Moreover, we describeR in terms of geometric data. IfR is generated in degree one then up to a finite dimensional vector space,R is isomorphic to the twisted homogeneous coordinate ring of an invertible sheaf ℒ over a projective curveY. This implies, in particular, thatR is Noetherian, thatR is primitive when |δ|=∞ and thatR is a finite module over its centre when |δ|<∞. IfR is not generated in degree one, thenR will still be Noetherian and primitive if δ has infinite order, butR need not be Noetherian when δ has finite order.
- [ATV] M. Artin, J. Tate, M. Van den Bergh: Some algebras associated to automorphisms of curves. In: The Grothendieck Festschrift P. Cartier et al. (eds.), Birkhäuser: Basel, 1990.
- [AV] M. Artin, M. Van den Bergh: Twisted homogeneous coordinate rings. J. Algebra133, 249–271 (1990).
- [AZ] M. Artin, J.J. Zhang: Noncommutative projective schemes. Adv. in Math.109, 228–287 (1994).
- [Be] G.M. Bergman: A note on growth functions of algebras and semigroups, mimeographed notes, University of California, Berkeley, 1978
- [Bo] N. Bourbaki: Éléments de Mathématique, Algèbre Commutative. Hermann: Paris 1961
- [Co] P.M. Cohn: Algebra II. Wiley: Chichester, 1977
- [GW] K.R. Goodearl, R.B. Warfield, Jr.: An Introduction to Noncommutative Noetherian Rings, London Math. Soc. Student Texts No. 16, CUP: Cambridge 1989
- [Ha] R. Hartshorne: Algebraic Geometry. Springer: Berlin/New York (1977)
- [IS] R.S. Irving, L.W. Small: The Goldie conditions for algebras with bounded growth. Bull. London Math. Soc.15, 596–600 (1983)
- [KL] G. Krause, T.H. Lenagan: Growth of Algebras and Gelfand-Kirillov Dimension. Pitman: London, 1985
- [LVV] L. Le Bruyn, M. Van den Bergh, F. Van Oystaeyen: Graded orders. Birkhäuser: Boston, 1988
- [MR] J.C. Mcconnell, J.C. Robson: Noncommutative Noetherian Rings. Wiley-Interscience: Chichester, 1987
- [ML] L. Makar-Limanov: The skew field of fractions of the Weyl algebra contains a free subalgebra. Comm. in Algebra11, 2003–2006 (1983)
- [Mu] D. Mumford: The Red Book on Varieties and Schemes. (Lecture Notes in Math. No. 1358). Springer-Verlag: Berlin/New York, 1988
- [NV] C. Nâstâsescu, F. Van Oystaeyen: Graded Ring Theory. North Holland: Amsterdam, 1982
- [Se] J.-P. Serre: Faisceaux Algébriques Cohérents. Ann. Math.61, 197–278 (1955)
- [SW] L.W. Small, R.B. Warfield: Jr: Prime affine algebras of Gelfand-Kirillov dimension one. J. Algebra91, 386–389 (1984)
- [SSz] S.P. Smith, J.M. Staniszkis: Irreducible representations of the 4-dimensional Sklyanin algebra at points of infinite order. J. Algebra160, 57–86 (1993)
- [St] S.P. Smith, J. Tate: The center of the three and four dimensional Sklyanin algebras. K-Theory8, 19–64 (1994)
- [St] J.T. Stafford: On the ideals of a Noetherian ring. Trans. Amer. Math. Soc.289, 381–392 (1985)
- [SZ] J.T. Stafford and J.J. Zhang: Examples in noncommutative projective geometry. Math. Proc. Camb. Phil. Soc.116, 415–433 (1994)
- [Ve] A.B. Verevkin: On a noncommutative analogue of the category of coherent sheaves on a projective variety. Amer. Math. Soc. Transl.151, 41–53 (1992)
- Noncommutative graded domains with quadratic growth
Volume 122, Issue 1 , pp 231-276
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links