Assessment of histological features and outcome of interferon therapy in chronic hepatitis C
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The correlation between the histological features of liver biopsy specimens before interferon (IFN) treatment and the clinical effect of IFN administration on chronic hepatitis C was investigated. A study of the relation between several histological features that were graded in 60 liver biopsy specimens from chronic hepatitis C patients before IFN treatment disclosed that the grade of portal fibrosis was positively correlated with the grade of other inflammatory features, including piecemeal necrosis and portal and lobular inflammation. The degree of portal fibrosis adversely affected the rate of normalization of ALT levels in chronic hepatitis C during and after IFN treatment. We reexamined 36 liver biopsy specimens that showed a moderate degree of portal fibrosis, and found that the degree of piecemeal necrosis was inversely correlated with the extent of lymphoid follicle formation in the portal tracts. During IFN therapy, the group of chronic hepatitis C patients who showed marked piecemeal necrosis and less lymphoid follicle formation in the liver specimens had a poor response to IFN treatment, whereas another group that showed marked lymphoid follicle formation and little piece-meal necrosis in the liver specimens had a good response to IFN. These relationships gradually disappeared after the completion of IFN treatment.
- Choo Q-L, Kuo G, Weiner AJ, et al. Isolation of a cDNA clone derived from a blood-borne non-A, non-B viral hepatitis genome. Science 1989;244:359–362.
- Devis GL, Balart LA, Schiff ER, et al. Treatment of chronic hepatitis C with recombinant interferon alfa. N Engl J Med 1989;321:1506–1511.
- Di Bisceglie AM, Martin P, Kassianides C, et al. Recombinant interferon alfa therapy for chronic hepatitis C. N Engl J Med 1989;321:1506–1511.
- Shindo M, Di Biseglie AM, Hoofnagel JH. Long-term follow-up of patients with chronic hepatitis C treated with α-interferon. Hepatology 1992;15:1013–1016.
- Devis GL, Hepatitis C virus antibody in patients with chronic autoimmune hepatitis: Pitfalls in diagnosis and implication for treatment. Mayo Clin Proc 1991;66:647–650.
- Michel G, Ritter A, Gerken G, et al. Anti-GOR and hepatitis C virus in autoimmune liver diseases. Lancet 1992;339:267–269.
- Vento S, Perri G, Garofano T. Hazards of interferon therapy for HBV-seronegative chronic hepatitis. Lancet 1989;II:926.
- Popper H, Dienstag JL, Feinstone SM, et al. Pathology of viral hepatitis in chimpanzees. Virchows Arch [A] 1980;387:91–106.
- Thung SN, Gerber MA, Popper H. Basic morphologic patterns of viral hepatitis A,B, non-A, non-B, and delta agent in animal and man. In: Chisari FV (ed) Advances in hepatitis research. New York: Masson, 1984;293–302.
- Gerber MA, Thung SN, Viral hepatitis: Pathology. In: Berk JE, Haubrich WS, Kalser MH, Roth JLA, Schaffner F (eds) Bockus gastroenterology. 4th ed. Vol. V: The liver. Philadelphia: W.B. Saunders, 1985:2825–2855.
- Texeria MR Jr, Weller IVD, Murray A, et al. The pathology of hepatitis A in man. Liver 1982;2:53–60.
- Mosnier JF, Degott C, Marcellin P, et al. The intraportal lymphoid nodule and its environment in chronic active hepatitis C: An immunohistochemical study. Hepatology 1993;17:366–371.
- Soga M, Yamasaki H, Tomita A, et al. Successful treatment with interferon for a HCV-RNA positive patients with features of “autoimmune hepatitis” (Abstract in English). Acta Hepatol Jap 1992;38:548–551.
- Bach N, Thung SN, Schaffner F. The histological features of chronic hepatitis C and autoimmune chronic hepatitis: A comparative analysis. Hepatology 1992;15:572–577.
- Garson JA, Tedder RS, Briggs M, et al. Detection of hepatitis C viral sequences in blood donations by “nested” polymerase chain reaction and prediction of infectivity. Lancet 1990;335:1419–1422.
- Hagiwara H, Hayashi N, Mita E, et al. Detection of hepatitis C virus RNA in serum of patients with chronic hepatitis C treated with interferon-α. Hepatology 1992;15:37–41.
- Dienes HP, Popper H, Arnold W, et al. Histologie observation in human hepatitis non-A, non-B. Hepatology 1982;2:562–571.
- Scheuer PS, Ashrafzadeh P, Sherlock S, et al. The pathology of hepatitis C. Hepatology 1992;15:567–571.
- Roberts JM, Serie JW, Cooksley WGE. Histological patterns of prolonged hepatitis C infection. Gastroenterol Jpn 1993;28:37–41.
- Gerber MA. Pathology of hepatitis C. FEMS Microbiol Rev 1994;14:205–210.
- Uchida T. Pathology of hepatitis C. Intervirology 1994;37:126–132.
- Lefkowitch JH, Schiff ER, Davis GL, et al. Pathological diagnosis of chronic hepatitis C: A multicenter comparative study with chronic hepatitis B. Gastroenterology 1993;104:595–603.
- Yoshida H, Iwabuchi S, Murayama M, et al. Histological evaluation of the liver and response to interferon in chronic hepatitis C. Nippon Rinsho 1994;52:1763–1768.
- Assessment of histological features and outcome of interferon therapy in chronic hepatitis C
Journal of Gastroenterology
Volume 31, Issue 1 , pp 69-74
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- hepatitis C
- interferon therapy
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Internal Medicine, Kitasato Institute Hospital, 5-9-1 Shirokane, Minato-ku, 108, Tokyo, Japan
- 2. Department of Pathology, School of Medicine, Keio University, 160, Tokyo, Japan
- 3. Department of Biomedical Laboratory, Kitasato Institute Hospital, 5-9-1 Shirokane, Minato-ku, 108, Tokyo, Japan
- 4. Department of Internal Medicine, School of Medicine, Keio University, 160, Tokyo, Japan