Biographies of scientists and public understanding of science
- Sugiyama Shigeo
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
In referring to biographies of Edison as examples, the following are shown: the image of a scientist or an engineer in biographies has dramatically changed over time; the images produced anew in each period fitted well to the social milieu of the day; biographies therefore acquired a large readership and contributed to informing to the public of the value of science and technology and the necessity of promoting them. It is also pointed out that a new image of scientist or engineer is to be created which is surely attractive to people today if we expect biographies to remain effective in promoting public understanding of science as before.
- Adachi, K. (1942). Ejison [Edison]. Shintyo-sya. Tokyo.
- Asahi Shimbun (1998). 15 March.
- Aichi, K. (1923). Denki-gaku no Taito, Farade [Faraday, the great authority of electricity]. Iwanami-syoten.
- Cantor, G. (1996). The Scientist as Hero: Public Images of Michael Faraday. In Shortland, M. and Yeo, R. (eds)Telling Lives in Science: Essays on Scientific Biography Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK, 171–193.
- Hamada, K. (1996). Kaijin Ejison [Edison, the Fascinating Genius], The Nihon Keizai Shimbun.
- Hiroshige, T. (1973). Kagaku no Syakai-shi [Social History of Science]. Tyuou-kouron-sya.
- IAI (1941). Stories of Inventions. Imperial Association of Invention.
- Kimura, S. (trans.) (1894). Ejison [Edison]. Denyu-sya.
- Kimura, T. (1994). Hatsumei Sensou [War of Invention: Edison vs. Bell]. Chikuma-syobo.
- Makio, S. (1929). Hatumei-Oh Ejison-Den [Life of Edison, A Great Inventor]. Kouseikai-syuppan.
- Sakikawa, N. (1954). Ejison [Edison]. Koudan-sya.
- Sawada, K. (1929). Ejison-Den [Life of Edison]. Koudan-sya.
- Sugiyama, S. (1994). Nihon-no Kindai Kagaku-shi [History of Modern Science in Japan]. Asakura-syoten.
- Terada, T. (1950–1951). Terada Torahiko Zuihitu-syu [Collected Essays of T. Terada]. Iwanami-syoten.
- Yajima, S. (trans.) (1932). Arupusu no Hyouga [The Glaciers of the Alps]. Iwanami-syoten.
- Yajima, S. (trans.) (1933). Arupusu no Tabi yori [Hours of Exercise in the Alps]. Iwanami-syoten.
- Yajima, S. (1940). Farade [Faraday]. Iwanami-syoten.
- Yamakawa, M. (1997). Zusetsu Ejison Dai-hyakka [Illustrated Encyclopaedia of Edison]. Ohmsya.
- Biographies of scientists and public understanding of science
AI & SOCIETY
Volume 13, Issue 1-2 , pp 124-134
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- History of science
- Industry Sectors
- Sugiyama Shigeo (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Faculty of Science, Hokkaido University, 060-0810, Sapporo, Japan