A Citizens' Conference on Gene Therapy in Japan: A Feasibility Study of the Consensus Conference Method in Japan
- Yukio Wakamatsu
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
An experimental consensus conference on the topic of gene therapy was held in order to discover whether the method, a means for participatory technology assessment born in Denmark in 1986, could be feasible in Japan. This article summarises the overall experience of this experiment and concludes that the method is indeed feasible in Japan. Enumerating some issues and problems we faced in this project, I will discuss their meaning and significance from the viewpoint of practitioner or initiator of participatory technology assessment in Japan.
- Joss, S. and Durant, J. (eds) (1995). Public participation in Science: The Role of Consensus Conferences in Europe. Science Museum, London, with the support of the European Commission Directorate General XII.
- Kobayashi, T. (1997). Possibility of Enlarged Peer Review: The Case of Consensus Conferences, STS Network Yearbook '97. 5–17 (In Japanese).
- Sugiyama, S. (1998). Kagaku Gijutsu nimo Informed Consent wo [Informed Consent in Science and Technology],. In Ogawa, M. (ed.) Madoi no Tekunoroji Kagaku Gijutu Shakai wo do Ikiruka [Bewildering Technology: How do we Live in the Science and Technology Driven Society]. Toyokan Shuppansha.
- Tanaka, Y. and Hirasawa, R. (1996). Features of Policy-Making Processes in Japan's Council for Science and Technology,Research Policy.25, 999–1011.
- Wakamatsu, Y. (1993). Denmark no Consensus Kaigi: Kagaku to Shakai wo do Tsunaguka [The Danish Consensus Conference:-How we can Relate Science and Society],Kagakugijutsu Journal.2(2). 22–24.
- Wakamatsu, Y. (1997). Shiroto wa Kagaku Gijutsu wo Hyoka dekiruka? [Can Laymen Evaluate Science and Technology?], Gendaishiso. May. 47–57.
- Yokoyama., H. (1997). Idenshi no Shikumi to Fusigi [The Mechanism and Wonder of Genes]. Nihon Bungeisha.
- A Citizens' Conference on Gene Therapy in Japan: A Feasibility Study of the Consensus Conference Method in Japan
AI & SOCIETY
Volume 13, Issue 1-2 , pp 22-43
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Consensus conference
- Gene therapy
- Participatory technology assessment
- Public participation
- Technology assessment
- Industry Sectors
- Yukio Wakamatsu (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. College of Science and Engineering, Tokyo Denki University, Hatoyama, 350-0394, Saitama, Japan