A fractional version of the Erdős-Faber-Lovász conjecture
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
LetH be any hypergraph in which any two edges have at most one vertex in common. We prove that one can assign non-negative real weights to the matchings ofH summing to at most |V(H)|, such that for every edge the sum of the weights of the matchings containing it is at least 1. This is a fractional form of the Erdős-Faber-Lovász conjecture, which in effect asserts that such weights exist and can be chosen 0,1-valued. We also prove a similar fractional version of a conjecture of Larman, and a common generalization of the two.
- C. Berge: On the chromatic index of a linear hypergraph and the Chvátal conjecture, in:Combinatorial Mathematics: Proceedings of the Third International Conf (New York, 1985), 40–44,Ann. N. Y. Acad. Sci. 555 New York Acad. Sci., New York, 1989.
- N. G. De Bruijn, andP. Erdős: A combinatorial problem,Indagationes Math. 8 (1946), 461–467.
- P. Erdős: On the combinatorial problems which I would most like to see solved,Combinatorica 1 (1981), 25–42.
- Z. Füredi: Matchings and coverings in hypergraphs,Graphs and Combinatorics 4 (1988), 115–206.
- Z. Füredi: The chromatic index of simple hypergraphs,Graphs and Combinatorics 2 (1986), 89–92.
- D. G. Larman: Convexity and Graph Theory, (Rosenfeld and Zaks eds.),Annals of Discrete Math. 20 (1984), 336.
- T. Z. Motzkin.: The lines and planes connecting the points of a finite set,Trans Amer. Math. Soc. 70 (1951), 451–469.
- P. D. Seymour: Packing nearly-disjoint sets,Combinatorica 2 (1982), 91–97.
- V. G. Vizing: On an estimate, of the chromatic class of ap-graph (Russian),Discret. Analiz 3 (1964), 25–30.
- A fractional version of the Erdős-Faber-Lovász conjecture
Volume 12, Issue 2 , pp 155-160
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Primary: 05 C 65
- Secondary: 05 B 40
- 05 C 70
- Industry Sectors